Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
The beauty of the Mallett is the ability to register it here in Cali due to the fact it is a GM titled option with EPA stamp! Will be here once reliable carriers has a pick up date confirmed.
This is not true. Mallett's conversions are the closest, out of the shop, to being registerable in California, but you'll need to take it through the referee. Mallett's conversions were NOT a GM option. Their broad use of the GM parts catalog is a big help, though!

You'll need to take it to the Smog Referee. The one in Livermore wasn't so bad, but you'll want a full set of 2007 Corvette service manuals. Mark the pages with illustrations of the LS2-style exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters, because you'll need to prove they're the right ones for the car. Always be very clear that the drivetrain is 2007 Corvette. I think you could also claim 2007 CTS-V if the manifolds match (I don't recall if they got different ones than a Corvette LS2.) If it's not a 6-speed, hope the referee doesn't notice (as this can be something the referee can choose to fail you over.) Technically, even not using the same transaxle as a Corvette could be a fail reason.

Get a scan tool that can show the status of the ECM's readiness tests. You'll need 4/4 set to get through the referee, but your subsequent biannual tests can do 3/4 and pass. EVAP takes FOREVER to mark as complete, and you need to do some pretty specific driving to flip it on. Sucks to drive all the way there and find out you weren't gonna pass the electronic portion of the test. The ref will also want documentation that you're using the proper ECM & calibration. Mallett revised the ECM used over the life of production, you may be using a GMPP crate motor ECM that doesn't properly implement OBD2 protocols. They may complain about the VIN, since Mallett will have stored a Solstice VIN in the ECM, and they'll be expecting a Corvette one. This is resolvable, I had to call and talk to a supervisor, and then I passed the next time. (They may be more open to this now that I've paved the way.) Explain that it's a new motor, not a salvaged motor, so there's no donor VIN to use.

You'll be on the dyno. The engine will be VERY cold, as the earlier visual inspections will be a couple hours worth of time. If you get your exhaust system ceramic coated, the cats will light off faster, and you'll be more comfortable as the center tunnel and floors won't get as hot. It's good insurance that the dyno portion will be your friend!

Verify yourself that all the routing for the PCV, EVAP, etc are in place. Mallett did this right, but you're gonna have to be your own advocate at the ref!

It may take a couple passes, but the state only charges $8 for the whole thing no matter how long it takes! The requirements may seem tough, but they're actually pretty reasonable all-round.

Don't drive it on old tires!

Energy Suspension's differential nose bushing helps the rear end, but I think they are NLA. If you can find a Z0K crossmember, that's preferable to the alternatives, but they're pretty thin these days. I also had a local shop build me a differential cooler, but my Mallett sees a lot heavier duty than cruising and car shows.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Slab8 - where were you a month ago :') edited original post to reflect Slab8 input.

Any input on the brace bundle?

Anyway, since the car is mine I will find out what the ref will want and hopefully won't be too bad as you said, the Mallett is a good base line...let the 'fun' begin!

·
Premium Member
10,349 Posts
The brace bundle will not work because the Venom Brace does not work with a V8 conversion.
You can use the rear and center pieces, but not the front.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Slab8 - where were you a month ago :')

Any input on the brace bundle?

Anyway, since the car is mine I will find out what the ref will want and hopefully won't be too bad as you said, the Mallett is a good base line...let the 'fun' begin!
Sorry, I'm not on here a lot. I'm easier to reach on instagram.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Solstice Mallett

Congratulations on you purchase of a low mile Mallett. I agree with Skersfan, keep it stock. I bought No.15 two years ago with 4K and had Chuck put the Mallett emblems back on it when I had in his brothers shop for a tune. I hope you enjoy your LS2 Solstice as much as i do. Drive it!

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
I'm with skersfan on this one I would not change anything other than maintenance items and maybe a set of wheels . I've been interested in Mallets for years and almost purchased one a few years ago they are far and few in the real world .With yours being an early build and very low mileage plus having the provenance on the car I believe this and GXP coupes will be the ones to own as far as collectability in the future .

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
Congratulations on you purchase of a low mile Mallett. I agree with Skersfan, keep it stock. I bought No.15 two years ago with 4K and had Chuck put the Mallett emblems back on it when I had in his brothers shop for a tune. I hope you enjoy your LS2 Solstice as much as i do. Drive it!
Yep that's the car I almost pulled the trigger on , the owner lived in Erie PA and had a rubber manufacturing business he kept raising the price with the more interest I showed .He originally offered it to at 26 grand and then got up to 30 I believe before I quit . Glad you ended up with it because from all the info I got he finally got the tune issues resolved which he thought were minor but I knew better .

·
Super Moderator
16,100 Posts
I cant afford a collector car and refuse to own a car that I cant drive. But to each their own.

I guess if you keep anything long enough it becomes worth something to someone. I mean a baby rattle from 100 BC is a collectable now.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Rob,

No collector car here although, I may not modify the car beyond: tires, wheels, front & rear color matched spoiler, rpm roll bar.

Although, I must say my vehicles do not see a lot of mileage due to having a company car for during the week driving...such as my 2015 MAD Industries SEMA F-150 with less than 7000 miles :)

Feel free to view my 'Garage' to check out my low mileage vehicles.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Update - received a call from local GM dealer as I requested the lead 'smog' tech call me to verify all emission systems were installed and functioning properly and verify ecm has correct (factory) programming for my future BAR/Ref inspection.

The tech had never seen a Mallett Solstice but was very impressed with the conversion and stated that the BAR/REF should have no issues with this car as it was as factory as he had ever seen with a v8 conversion and everything passed visual/OBD2 since they could not perform a 'test' without the BAR label affixed...only waiting on PPS (passenger presence sensor) recall parts to pick up car and schedule Ref inspection.

My service writer told me if I ever wanted to sell the car he had multiple inquiries from several mechanics who had seen and heard it who were interested in purchasing (no $ mentioned)...I have only had the car in my possession for 1 week :')

That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
My service writer told me if I ever wanted to sell the car he had multiple inquiries from several mechanics who had seen and heard it who were interested in purchasing (no $ mentioned)...I have only had the car in my possession for 1 week :')
It's comments like that, that lead me to believe that if V8 Kappa's could get some type of positive mainstream exposure, say like being regularly featured on a TV show or prominently featured in a film (being smashed up, driven over a cliff, or blown-up doesn't count) that more car enthusiast would consider buying them for a V8 engine project. Then again, V8 Miata's have been around forever, and they still aren't accepted as much as hot rods, muscle cars, or traditional classic cars. So maybe not. Here's an idea, how about a Mallett owner contacting Jay Leno so it could be featured on his car show. :cool: :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
ChopTop - I agree that there could be more done to bring kappa cars (especially v8 conversions) to the masses but, I actually go out of my way (read spend more $ and time) in order to own/drive vehicles that most non car guys didn't know existed (see my garage)...being different!

I consider it a job well done when someone asks me 'what car/truck/bike is that'?

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Ordered and on the way to me (thanks to this forum):

* RPM 4pt Rollbar in silver carbon 4-6 weeks
* DDM 1/2" chassis brace
* DDM Pro beam brace
* Indoor car cover
* Wheels & tires - TBD
* Big brake kit - TBD
* Norms body kit - TBD

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
You will notice the 1/2 inch tunnel brace instantly. I have actually gotten momentarily stuck on dry pavement due to the wheels coming off the ground thru a small ditch/drain into a gas station. Caught me off guard the first time, chirped the tires pretty quickly, thought it had been knocked out of gear. It truly keeps the body rigid. Hope you have a ball with it.

The owner of the GM dealership in town wanted mine, came close to trading it in on a 2016 Vette, but wanted to finish the car at that time. Money wise I would have made out, but would have a payment for a car, a payment I didn't want.

Mine was a hit at the GM dealership and anybody that knew what it was, but at car shows it might as well have been a four door sedan. Unless it was running. I think your plan is to do away with the sleeper look, Mallett did a very good job of making them fit that mold appearance wise. Sound wise not so much. lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
Congrat's on getting it home, fingers crossed you don't have any major issue with the CARB people. If your car had Chrome wheels it would be a twin to my 2006.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts