Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May have been reported elsewhere, but I just came across this and thought inquiring minds would like to know. Figures from GM. Model year to date through June 2007 (end of m.y. as 08 started production during month.

Solstice 24,018
Sky 16,567 (includes total Sky to date of which 4430 was through 6/06)
Opel GT 2,365

MY 2006
Solstice 21,273

2007 Calendar year through end of June production

Solstice 13,425
Sky 6,834
GT 2,176

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, total Solstice production. And the Sky # includes Redline. I have yet to find a breakdown further by model, but certainly will report it if I find it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Forgive me Father, for I am about to sin:

I have not done a thorough search of solsticeforum.com to find the answer to this question. I understand asking the below will create ire in even those members who are newer than me. I am under a great deal of pressure, however, to actually work at my job, and I know of no good keywords to immediately find the answer using the SF search function. I know this will no doubt place me in an outcast state, but I must ask, despite the number of :brentil: I will receive:

Can you differentiate model years by VIN? i.e. do 2007's last-six start with 2XXXXX? Also, can you differentiate Sol, Sky, GXP and RL by VIN, or are they just consecutive by order? I know other options typically are hidden within this "all telling" number, but don't know how far it drills down.

:leaving: ...before I'm recognized...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Doesn't look good for our beloved car. I know in my market area ( eastern Pa. ) Soltice sales were down 36%. :(
Good. I hope they quit making them altogether after 08. Just think how their value will rise. BTW anyone check out the new GMRoadster club? I saw it advertised on this forum. You can join as a visitor if you don't want to pay $36 per year. Oh yes, to keep it from being a threadjack: apparently they are gathering data as well, specifically tracking vin numbers.
:cool:

·
5,641 Posts
ScottJSmith said:
Can you differentiate model years by VIN? i.e. do 2007's last-six start with 2XXXXX? Also, can you differentiate Sol, Sky, GXP and RL by VIN, or are they just consecutive by order? I know other options typically are hidden within this "all telling" number, but don't know how far it drills down.
2007 Kappa production at Wilmington will have a VIN ending in 7 Y _ _ _ _ _ _ . This would be for all the Solstices and Skys, and I think even the Opels (someone has posted).

In any 17 digit VIN, the 10th spot would be the year indicator.

Solstices and Skys can only be identified through the begining numbers of the VIN. Example a Base Solstice's VIN woudl start 1G2MB, a GXP would be 1G2MG.

The only "option" clues hidden in the VIN is the engine code, possibly the restraint system (if a model uses more than one).

(1) Country of Origin-"1" for USA

(2) Manufacturer-"G" for General Motors

(3) Make-"2" for Pontiac

(4-5) Carline/Series-"M/B" for Sport/Convertible, Solstice. "M/G" for GXP/Convertible, Solstice

(6) Body Style-"3" for 2-Door, Convertible

(7) Restraint System

(8) Engine Type-"X" for RPO LNF, 2.0L, 4 CYL., DI, ALUM, DOHC, TURBO, GM, "B" for RPO LE5, 2.4L, 4 CYL., MFL, ALUM, DOHC, HO, ECOTEC

(9) Check Digit

(10) Model Year-"7" for 2007

(11) Plant Location-"Y" for Wilmington, DE, USA

(12-17) Plant Sequence Number

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back before Small Dealer was a dealer ;) I think they even designated the transmission in the vin. At least some of teh decoding I've seen in some of the classic and antique magazines seems to indicate as much. Not so important presently with a Solstice, but if you are restoring a high value 'vette or GTO from the '60s for concours every number counts - even as to locating components with proper build dates - e.g. if you are replacing a transmission in a GTO built 10/67 you don't install a tranny with a 11/67 date code or they deduct points.

·
Registered
685 Posts
2007 Kappa production at Wilmington will have a VIN ending in 7 Y _ _ _ _ _ _ . This would be for all the Solstices and Skys, and I think even the Opels (someone has posted).

Solstices and Skys can only be identified through the begining numbers of the VIN. Example a Base Solstice's VIN woudl start 1G2MB, a GXP would be 1G2MG.
Thank you, Mr. CarFax. So, did the first 2007 Sol have VIN 7Y101001? (I believe it was stated the first non-F1K had a VIN 6Y101001...)

·
5,641 Posts
ScottJSmith said:
So, did the first 2007 Sol have VIN 7Y101001?
No, 2007 production was well under way with the Sky before the first 2007 Solstice was built. There was some speculation last year, and not going to search for it, that the first 2007 Solstice was around 7Y104300, give or take a little.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I called Pontiac customer assistance for GXP numbers on Tuesday. I was told to call back in mid September, they may have the breakdown by then.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The 8th character.

The only "option" clues hidden in the VIN is the engine code, possibly the restraint system (if a model uses more than one).

(1) Country of Origin-"1" for USA

(2) Manufacturer-"G" for General Motors

(3) Make-"2" for Pontiac

(4-5) Carline/Series-"M/B" for Sport/Convertible, Solstice. "M/G" for GXP/Convertible, Solstice

(6) Body Style-"3" for 2-Door, Convertible

(7) Restraint System

(8) Engine Type-"M" for RPO LNF, 2.0L, 4 CYL., DI, ALUM, DOHC, TURBO, GM, "B" for RPO LE5, 2.4L, 4 CYL., MFL, ALUM, DOHC, HO, ECOTEC

(9) Check Digit

(10) Model Year-"7" for 2007

(11) Plant Location-"Y" for Wilmington, DE, USA

(12-17) Plant Sequence Number
#8 is the engine type ? "M" is for the 2.0 and the "B" is for the 2.4. Mine has an X for the 8th Character. What is that ?

·
5,641 Posts
twotoys said:
#8 is the engine type ? "M" is for the 2.0 and the "B" is for the 2.4. Mine has an X for the 8th Character. What is that ?

"X" would be a choice for the #9 Position, the check digit.

Take another look. Sometimes the first digit, especially a "1", can be hard to see as it starts out of the box in the windshield for the VIN.

·
5,641 Posts
the vin is 1G2MG35X67YXXXXXX
I apologize, you are right, the service manual is incorrect. Thanks for catching that, will change my cut/paste post.

·
Registered
181 Posts
No apology needed. I'm just wondering what the X is. shouldn't it be an "M" for the 2.0.
or am I just not getting it ?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Forgive me Father, for I am about to sin:

I have not done a thorough search of solsticeforum.com to find the answer to this question. I understand asking the below will create ire in even those members who are newer than me. I am under a great deal of pressure, however, to actually work at my job, and I know of no good keywords to immediately find the answer using the SF search function. I know this will no doubt place me in an outcast state, but I must ask, despite the number of :brentil: I will receive:

:leaving: ...before I'm recognized...
Not sure if am allow to post, but this page IS NOT selling anything, but may help with the VIN debate.

http://www.mitchellsupport.com/ondemand5/VIN/VIN.pdf

·
5,641 Posts
twotoys said:
No apology needed. I'm just wondering what the X is. shouldn't it be an "M" for the 2.0.
or am I just not getting it ?
After you pointed it out, I went to the dealership car locator and found a GXP and it's VIN matched yours, with an "X" in the #8 or engine place.

So "X" stands for the 2.0L Turbo in the Solstice. The information I cut and pasted was incorrect.

I think "M" was the engine code for the 2.0L Turbo in the 1987 Sunfire/Grand Am.

Perhaps that is where the person or persons that wrote the service manual made their data error in putting together the chart.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Good. I hope they quit making them altogether after 08. Just think how their value will rise. BTW anyone check out the new GMRoadster club? I saw it advertised on this forum. You can join as a visitor if you don't want to pay $36 per year. Oh yes, to keep it from being a threadjack: apparently they are gathering data as well, specifically tracking vin numbers.
:cool:
Would have nothing more to do with them after my first experience. No soon than I regestrering as a visitor I got an e-mail saying a young lady in my area was interessted in start a local club and would I like to join. They offered to sell me domain names and packages on how to set up a club. Almost the same wording showed up on this forum a few days ago suggesting the since there was no club in the DC area (there is) would some of us like to start one. The bottom line appears to be to sell web site domain names and memberships in the national club etc. NO THANKS It a free country and figuring ways to make a buck is fine, but NO THANKS.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks

After you pointed it out, I went to the dealership car locator and found a GXP and it's VIN matched yours, with an "X" in the #8 or engine place.

So "X" stands for the 2.0L Turbo in the Solstice. The information I cut and pasted was incorrect.

I think "M" was the engine code for the 2.0L Turbo in the 1987 Sunfire/Grand Am.

Perhaps that is where the person or persons that wrote the service manual made their data error in putting together the chart.
Ok That clears up that. I was hoping that maybe I had an expiermental model or something. I was really looking to find out what the last production VIN s were, when I came across that. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts