Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
I can't make sense of these numbers....

May have been reported elsewhere, but I just came across this and thought inquiring minds would like to know. Figures from GM. Model year to date through June 2007 (end of m.y. as 08 started production during month.

Solstice 24,018
Sky 16,567 (includes total Sky to date of which 4430 was through 6/06)
Opel GT 2,365

MY 2006
Solstice 21,273

2007 Calendar year through end of June production

Solstice 13,425
Sky 6,834
GT 2,176
How do they relate to the numbers above?

Backstage

·
5,641 Posts
Confusing, did you insert the bold numbers inside the quote?

Keep in mind that the larger 24,018 is said to represent model year production. That would be June 2006 to June 2007.

The number in bold, 13,425, is said to be just the calander year production through June. Which would include 2007 and 2008 models.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Backstage
SD is correct, the bottom numbers simply represent calendar year productino for 6 months Jan-June of 2007, which includes some 2008 models. July figures are out but since teh model year production ended in June I felt that would confuse it even further.

2006 Solstices were produced during 2005 and up through June 2006. There were no 2006 Skys, as production of them in 2006 started with the 2007 model. I wanted to show a clearer picture of the ratio of production among the three cars being built. If you only looked at model year it appears that Skys represent 38.5% of 2007 production. Daily production levels are closer to (but not exact since we do not know exactly when the first GT rolled) 30.5%. HTH

·
Registered
16 Posts
2007 Kappa production at Wilmington will have a VIN ending in 7 Y _ _ _ _ _ _ . This would be for all the Solstices and Skys, and I think even the Opels (someone has posted).

In any 17 digit VIN, the 10th spot would be the year indicator.

Solstices and Skys can only be identified through the begining numbers of the VIN. Example a Base Solstice's VIN woudl start 1G2MB, a GXP would be 1G2MG.

The only "option" clues hidden in the VIN is the engine code, possibly the restraint system (if a model uses more than one).

(1) Country of Origin-"1" for USA

(2) Manufacturer-"G" for General Motors

(3) Make-"2" for Pontiac

(4-5) Carline/Series-"M/B" for Sport/Convertible, Solstice. "M/G" for GXP/Convertible, Solstice

(6) Body Style-"3" for 2-Door, Convertible

(7) Restraint System

(8) Engine Type-"X" for RPO LNF, 2.0L, 4 CYL., DI, ALUM, DOHC, TURBO, GM, "B" for RPO LE5, 2.4L, 4 CYL., MFL, ALUM, DOHC, HO, ECOTEC

(9) Check Digit

(10) Model Year-"7" for 2007

(11) Plant Location-"Y" for Wilmington, DE, USA

(12-17) Plant Sequence Number
Awesome info! Thanks Small Dealer!!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Gt

Finally spotted one of those Opel GT's the other day. Actually, my wife did. She followed a yellow one on a B-road for a few miles. There have been a couple of times when I thought I saw one out of the corner of my eye going the opposite direction on the autobahn, but this was a definite sighting.

Still waiting for them to come to rental car fleets (if ever) so I can take one to Nurburgring.

·
5,600 Posts
Total Kappa production = 42,950.

I thought plant capacity was around 30,000. Even with a long MY for Saturns, that is a good production run for one model year of sports cars.

They built way more Opels than I expected. I though they would produce 1000 cars. Good for Opel. :yay:

Nice to think, when these numbers start to slide, the coupe will be here to bolster sales back to capacity. :driving:

·
Registered
255 Posts
2006/2007

OK, I am being dumb...

Oh, wait... is it... first group of three numbers is MY 2007, second # (21,273) MY 2006, then a breakdown of 2007 calendar year production? The 2007, 2006, 2007 order threw me.

Backstage

Solstice 24,018
Sky 16,567 (includes total Sky to date of which 4430 was through 6/06)
Opel GT 2,365

MY 2006
Solstice 21,273

2007 Calendar year through end of June production

Solstice 13,425
Sky 6,834
GT 2,176

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would be really curious about the total number of Solstice's as well.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Somewhere there must be information, now that it is all over. :(

Model year breakdown, how many were GXP and N/A, which transmission, colors...it must be somewhere.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I did a bit of digging and found this GM site that provides VIN coding sheets for each model year. It explains all but the last 6 digits, which is the sequential production number.

This may have already been posted......See the first page at each link (GM 2000 - 2009): http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/

Sequential number (last 6 digits) question:
Does this sequence represent the vehicles coming off the line at the plant, per model year? So as Wilmington produced Sky, Opel, Solstice, and Daewoo GX2, and the last 6 digits of my VIN begin with 128... it would have been the 28 thousandth plus car off the line for model year 2008?

Does the first digit (1) of these last six digits of the VIN represent the production plant or other?

·
Registered
270 Posts
not necessarily the twentyeight-thousandth of 2008 MY but of total production to date would be my assumption.

·
Registered
298 Posts
not necessarily the twentyeight-thousandth of 2008 MY but of total production to date would be my assumption.
I wondered that, as well. If it were total production, would it be only for those vehicles with the same previous VIN digits (other than model year)? I ask based on my s/n which begins with 128... meaning the 28 thousandth plus car produced and is a 2008 GXP; in '06 and '07 combined there were more than 48 thousand Solstices produced and in 2008, less than 16 thousand.....?

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
It was the 28,xxxth of MY2008 Kappa production- including Solstices, Skys, and Opel GTs with either engine. That would be consistent with a build date of either March or April 2008. I put together a spreadhseet of production numbers which you can view here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmuxpT5iqOyGdHFqZUxwRE4yaXRpYW91OXZ6ZGdMM0E&hl=en

Click 2008 at the bottom for the month by month breakdown.
Thanks for the confirmation, reedred. You are right, my GXP was born in March 2008.

Excellent data on the different Kappa models.... how were you able to put this together?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts