Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Hey I'm 64 and people say I'm skinny and getting in and out at times is a chore try getting in and out of a C4 Vette sometime and as for the top I'm with you I've had a few manual top convertibles and have never had any issue as far as the top goes power tops are for Caddys and Beemers !

·
Registered
192 Posts
...as far as the top goes power tops are for Caddys and Beemers !
Well, if not for the higher cost and greater potential for expensive repairs on a power top, I'm sure I wouldn't turn one down. :)

But on the topic of them being for "Caddys and Beemers": A year or two ago, I pulled into a parking space just as the driver of the car I parked next to was returning to their car.

Using her remote, she activated the power top -- and I sat there amazed at the Transformers-like operation! I swear there were 3 or 4 different covers that opened and moved and looked like something off of the Space Station.

I forget. It may have been a Lexus, but whatever it was, it was a car I'm sure cost more than 3-4 -- maybe 5 or 6 -- brand new Solstices.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Wow, it seems to me that putting the top up and down is one of the EASIEST things you can do on a Solstice! :)

A LOT easier than changing a battery or water pump (or, in my case, getting in and out of the car!).

I'm 64, fat and badly out of shape -- and I'll admit that it remains my goal to NEVER have to drive with the top up. But I also put it up and down every few weeks -- most of the time just to "exercise" its' moving parts, and occasionally to gain access to the HUGE storage area at the back of the trunk ;) -- and I don't find it the least bit difficult, nor time consuming, to do.

Alone.

From one side of the car.

Sure, it's not an automated top and you can't put it up or down while driving. But I'm always surprised when someone says they think it takes a lot of effort.

Absolutely NO offense intended.

And I understand that where you live and how often you drive the car has a direct effect on how often you might have to put the top up -- or be able to put it down.
I have no issues putting the top up and down in a parking lot or the garage. I am in shape, athletic, and a young 50.

It is when you are enjoying a back road drive and you come around a corner to some rain. Pulling over, getting out, doing the dance around the car while trying not to get hit by other cars is not fun. And, if the wind has picked up, you have to worry about it whipping the truck lid back or whipping it closed while you are trying to grab the top.

In the southeast you may have to put the top up and down several times in one day, and we can have 40 degree temperature changes.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well, if not for the higher cost and greater potential for expensive repairs on a power top, I'm sure I wouldn't turn one down. :)

But on the topic of them being for "Caddys and Beemers": A year or two ago, I pulled into a parking space just as the driver of the car I parked next to was returning to their car.

Using her remote, she activated the power top -- and I sat there amazed at the Transformers-like operation! I swear there were 3 or 4 different covers that opened and moved and looked like something off of the Space Station.

I forget. It may have been a Lexus, but whatever it was, it was a car I'm sure cost more than 3-4 -- maybe 5 or 6 -- brand new Solstices.
yeah,and wait till one of myriad electronic parts required malfunctions.im good with the manual top.have had my car one year today,and its been a good year.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts