Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have installed two different forum-recommended aftermarket intercoolers in the past two weeks on my 2007 GXP. Each of the intercoolers piped and bolted up just fine (after some minor plastic air guide/shroud trimming as advised by each manufacturer), but the darn front fascia does not fit properly over either one. In each case, the intercooler extends below the bottom of the fascia by over one inch.

I now believe that I know why. I researched my problem yesterday on this and other kappa sites, and now I realize that my OEM intercooler is different than most. My 2007 GXP was built in August 2006, and my original OEM intercooler does NOT have a condensation tube at the bottom. From what I've read, GM apparently stopped production of the GXP for short time right after initial start-up to correct a problem caused by water condensing inside the intercooler. Condensation collection tubing was added to the OEM intercooler and (apparently!) the fascia and shroud beneath the intercooler were slightly modified to accomodate the increased size of the modified OEM intercooler.

Thus my problem! I have to replace my "non-condensation collection tube" OEM intercooler (it is badly "ballooned"), and the aftermarket offerings I've tried will not accomodate my (August 2006 manufactured) 2007 GXP fascia. At least now I know why I'm having this problem...I was really stumped as to why others on this forum who have replaced their OEM intercoolers weren't having this issue, and why the manufacturers I spoke to prior to purchase(s) didn't foresee an issue.

LatinVenom, I saw that you had the same OEM intercooler as I have. Is it still installed? Just wondering if you may have had to replace it and what you did...

Rob The Elder, I know you have alot of GXP knowledge and expertise...any thoughts?

I'm going to call the vendor(s) and see if they can possibly make me a smaller intercooler (my OEM is 6-1/2" high at the core, their aftermarkets are about 8-3/8"). I've also thought about having my OEM re-cored if possible (as a last resort). The only other options I see are (1) just to let the intercooler hang below the current fascia or (2) replace the darn fascia!

I bought my 2007 GXP new in October 2006, and until yesterday did not know that there was a factory intercooler modification done to most GXPs that were manufactured after mine. I had a couple of instances when my car ran really rough but then cleared up, and I had chalked it up to bad fuel. It could be that I had the intercooler condensation problem. It hasn't happened in a LONG time though (mine is garage kept with low miles, so maybe that has something to do with it too).

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice you might offer. Maybe this post will help somebody else too...I know the issue had me frustrated, and 2 mechanics that came over to look at the problem were stumped also.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
No mine is still in the car.
Our intercooler is fine as long as you do not have a larger turbo or go racing.
The shut down was for just 2 weeks I think, so is hard to fadom GM got the supplier to change the fascia that quickly.
Do you mind posting which 2 aftermarket IC's you tried?.
Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
KWTOXMAN, I'm having "missing security token" issues trying to download pics, but I'd be happy to email them if you PM me. Yes, the manufacture date (8/06) is on the door. I need more fascia, not less!

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
By the way we are ONLY 50 cars out of the whole production of GXP's that do not have the rubber piece attached to the IC.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If the fascia is actually different on the 06 and 07, then why not verify that an '07 fascia will solve the problem and then go that route? I don't know the price, but it might be comparable to the custom work you're describing and would also bring your car into a more mainstream spec for any future mods.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
if it were me, you know I'd have already broken out my heat gun and butter knife. good luck on the fix.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
KWTOXMAN, I'm having "missing security token" issues trying to download pics, but I'd be happy to email them if you PM me. Yes, the manufacture date (8/06) is on the door. I need more fascia, not less!
I checked my mfg date on the door and it is 02/07. So it sounds like I'll be fine with no issues. So it doesn't sound like I need the pics. Thx for the offer though.

Hope you get it all worked out.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
How much boost are you running? For stock or GMPP levels, the stock intercooler is fine. When you start getting into 22-25PSI territory, the stock unit isn't always up to the task. Mine ballooned like crazy on the track. I now have the Werks intercooler and am very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
937 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,482 Posts
We have the stock IC on our Sky RL. Its been running the GMPP tune since 2010? No issues with the stock intercooler.

I had the DeJon IC on my GXP back when it was boosted. (its now NA) and liked it. It took some cutting to make it fit.

I have heard nothing but good about the two Dave's IC solutions. I think either will be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.