Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this over at GMI.com. Thought I'd link it here since Edmunds has been pretty good about getting Solstice news to us early.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2007/pontiac/solstice/100535941/preview.html
Preview

What Edmunds.com Says: Pontiac knows that it has a hot car on its hands, but maintaining that momentum will require frequent upgrades to keep the Solstice competitive. The GXP version should assure plenty of good press well into 2006.

What We Know: A year after the redesigned Solstice comes to market in the fall of 2005, Pontiac is expected to release a high-powered GXP version of its new roadster. The 2007 Solstice GXP will be distinguished primarily through its dual exhaust pipes, more aggressive wheels and tires and more powerful engine. Power will likely come from a 2.0-liter four-cylinder with horsepower in the 200-hp neighborhood. This engine will be mated with a six-speed manual transmission for extra driving pleasure.

·
4,592 Posts
What's GXP stand for, if anything? I've used GT, and I realized I don't know if that stands for anything either. Thanks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

Rodeo,

GT stands for Gran Turisimo but when I look it up in the dictionary it does not appear there. I believe it has something to do with a fast-back, hardtop version?

·
Registered
138 Posts
GT vs Spyder

CanSol has it right, about what the GT stands for. It is a European term for a touring coupe, as opposed to their term for a topless roadster: A Spyder. Very cool terms for both, although it is funny to see the American marketers bastardize the term and apply the GT to a roadster. Technically, the Solstice convertable is really a Spyder, and not a GT unless it is offered in the couple version. Just sort of shows what we in America know, huh?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RODEO said:
What's GXP stand for, if anything? I've used GT, and I realized I don't know if that stands for anything either. Thanks!
You know what, I really don't have a clue. I know with some cars GT stands for Gran Turismo. Which in Latin means 'large tour' I believe, or Grand Tour. Like my Volvo from talking to Volvo dealers they said the various versions were DL is DeLux (Luxury), and GL is GranLux (Grand Luxury).

But with Pontiac I'm not sure what GTP and GXP stand for. Google was no help. I believe GTP is a racing class too. As is GT.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AZJuez said:
CanSol has it right, about what the GT stands for. It is a European term for a touring coupe, as opposed to their term for a topless roadster: A Spyder. Very cool terms for both, although it is funny to see the American marketers bastardize the term and apply the GT to a roadster. Technically, the Solstice convertable is really a Spyder, and not a GT unless it is offered in the couple version. Just sort of shows what we in America know, huh?
This article we're refering to doesn't call it GT though. They refrenced it as GXP.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Maybe it stands for xtream performance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm going straight off of memory from a while back, can't remember the source. But the term "Gran Turismo" referred to the practice of wealthy aristocrats sending their young men around Europe for the "Grand Tour" as a way of developing their sense of culture. Being wealthy, they would do this using the most luxurious and speedy means possible. Started as carriages, then later trains, and cars.

So GT actually refers to a luxurious and speedy vehicle any more... think along the lines of Ferrari 456GT.

American companies misuse the term because most of them don't know what it actually means. But if you notice the Italians use the terms correctly to this day.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
They don't misuse the term as much as they don't care what it means they just care that it sounds "sexy" and will sell. For Detroit it could stand for "General eXperimental Pricing" :lol:

I want the new Solstice MHPP !! More HP Please!
:willy:

·
5,600 Posts
brentil said:
Found this over at GMI.com. Thought I'd link it here since Edmunds has been pretty good about getting Solstice news to us early.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2007/pontiac/solstice/100535941/preview.html
I don't see the point in stepping down the displacement to get to a measly 200HP. With the NA Solstice making almost 180 HP, how hard would it be to use more conventional means to get 200-210 HP through breathing, exhaust, performance cams and maybe larger throttle bodies (guessing here as I am not sure about the specs of the Ecotec 2.4, but you get the idea).

Or I could go through the expense of adding a centrifugal SC at low boost to make around 220HP. Either way, I want to keep the 2.4 L displacement. May not rev as high, but I have always believed there is no substitute for cubic inches. I'm still hoping the GXP will be a SC or TC 2.4. Ah, too early to worry about it. :willy:

·
5,600 Posts
brentil said:
But with Pontiac I'm not sure what GTP and GXP stand for. Google was no help. I believe GTP is a racing class too. As is GT.
I can't find a definition on google either. I always thought GTP was Grand Touring Prototype.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jimbo said:
I don't see the point in stepping down the displacement to get to a measly 200HP. With the NA Solstice making almost 180 HP, how hard would it be to use more conventional means to get 200-210 HP through breathing, exhaust, performance cams and maybe larger throttle bodies (guessing here as I am not sure about the specs of the Ecotec 2.4, but you get the idea).

Or I could go through the expense of adding a centrifugal SC at low boost to make around 220HP. Either way, I want to keep the 2.4 L displacement. May not rev as high, but I have always believed there is no substitute for cubic inches. I'm still hoping the GXP will be a SC or TC 2.4. Ah, too early to worry about it. :willy:
You're falling into the same trap as the people onGMI.com did. It said 200hp neighborhood, not 200HP. It could be any value around there. We wont know though till GM finally announces it. I'm hoping SEMA this year will be good to us unlike last year.

·
4,592 Posts
brentil said:
This article we're refering to doesn't call it GT though. They refrenced it as GXP.
The article doesn't use GT, I picked that up from around this forum, don't know whom exactly used it? Thought I've seen GXP before on the forum, but can't be sure???

Good topic though! I knida thought it was all arbitrary.

Question, If I read correct, no one has a answer for GXP. The question, is GXP used in GM or other car lines???

Based on the posts above, I'm gonna go get a spyder badge for my current ride :devil: :lol: ;)

·
5,600 Posts
brentil said:
You're falling into the same trap as the people onGMI.com did. It said 200hp neighborhood, not 200HP. It could be any value around there. We wont know though till GM finally announces it. I'm hoping SEMA this year will be good to us unlike last year.
Guilty as charged. :blush:

·
Registered
71 Posts
RODEO said:
Question, If I read correct, no one has a answer for GXP. The question, is GXP used in GM or other car lines???

Pontiac uses GXP on the Bonneville and Grand Prix, there was also a Sunfire GXP concept (as seen on Gran Turismo 4) But to my knowledge, Pontiac is the only manufacturer using these letters, and I'll be willing to bet it stays that way due to trademarks, etc.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
The 200 number comes from the 2.0L Ion Redline/Cobalt SS supercharged engine. That engine puts out a published 205 HP, per their specifications. However, we also know that those cars dyno with around 200 HP at the wheels (some are just over, some just under). This would conservatively put the car's net horsepower more in the neighborhood of 230 HP or so. GM simply has the engine underrated for whatever reason, possibly to try and keep insurance more affordable for the younger buyers these cars are aimed at.

So even if the Sol gets this exact "205" HP engine, it really will have around 230 HP.

Also of note, this engine is still building power when it hits redline. So if GM can bump the redline up a little, it may produce significantly more power too. So it wouldn't be hard for GM to boost up the power even more.

Anyway, the engine as it stands has a good amount of power available. If GM decides to update or tweak the engine, they might even find more power. (There are rumors the GXP would get a turbo version, ala Saab, and not the supercharged version as in the Saturn/Chevy coupes.)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.