1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Anyone think the turbo will be available for existing Sols before this comes out?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Cool, that is a new picture a little closer up then we saw in TCC couple weeks ago.

I'll add the text and move to news forum, thanks

Spied!

2007 Pontiac Solstice GT Turbo
PHOTOGRAPHY BY STEFAN BALDAUF
October 2005

This tester was caught in Germany while doing laps on the Nürburgring. This is the performance version of Lutz’s first vision, the Pontiac Solstice. Most likely this Solstice will carry the GT Turbo nomenclature behind its name. Power is expected to come from turbo charging the Ecotec four-cylinder. The stock engine makes 177 horsepower and we expect the blown version to make upwards of 240 horsepower. This is some serious power in this vehicles class, watch out Mazdaspeed.

Noticeable differences on the exterior are honeycomb air intakes upfront (real or not we don’t know) surrounding the turn signal indicators. There are dual exhaust pipes adorning the rear fascia and a small lip spoiler on the rear deck lid.

Look for the Solstice GT Turbo to hit the market as a 2007 model sometime during the 2006 calendar year.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to see the small lip spoiler on the rear deck lid that the article mentions. hhmm..........

You think it is a seperate piece or some more crazy molding of the trunk panel?? :lol:

- bspate -

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
stang said:
I see sport seats in that thing. Pontiac is serious about this car. Rollbar looks like it came from a Jeep. ;)
They probably did. You know, the parts off the shelf philosophy! ;)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope the fire extinguisher comes standard as well!!

Well, it will probably be thrown in for free if you get On-star.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

- bspate -

·
Registered
163 Posts
birdliver said:
Hey Chuck, welcome! You'll probably want the fire suppression system too, with a name like that! :lol: Hey c'mon, I said welcome! :lol:
LOL thanks for the welcome!! Only some of the 84 Fiero's caught fire and GM fixed them and there were no more problems. I have a 86 GT and and a 98 Trans Am. Trying to work it so I can keep the T/A and get the Solstice. Still paying for it.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
that's the Nuerburgring Nordschleife in Germany. Very cool that they are testing the Solstice there, that's traditionally reserved for either cars with serious sporting credentials (i.e. porsches), or wanna be's (those wacky Saturn commercials from a few years back). Haven't driven one, but the PS appears to fall more in the first category.
The race seats, cage, and extinguisher in the Pontiac are a smart move on the Ring - I've seen several cars barrel roll and one burn there, and my leg muscles were sore for days after about 15 laps in a seriously underbolstered Z4 this year.

Anybody have their Polstice on the track yet?

cheers
Kurt
German resident until 4 days ago :/

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/who/details.php?u=167

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Ringer said:
that's the Nuerburgring Nordschleife in Germany. Very cool that they are testing the Solstice there, that's traditionally reserved for either cars with serious sporting credentials (i.e. porsches), or wanna be's (those wacky Saturn commercials from a few years back). Haven't driven one, but the PS appears to fall more in the first category.
The race seats, cage, and extinguisher in the Pontiac are a smart move on the Ring - I've seen several cars barrel roll and one burn there, and my leg muscles were sore for days after about 15 laps in a seriously underbolstered Z4 this year.

Anybody have their Polstice on the track yet?

cheers
Kurt
German resident until 4 days ago :/

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/who/details.php?u=167
Kurt,

By chance did I meet you at the Pistenklaus last March? I had the pleasure of dining with several ringers one weekend when the track was unfortunately snowed in.

It was the only opportunity I've had thus far to visit the 'ring, so it was a good trip for me nonetheless. At least I got to see the track and meet a jolly bunch of Brits and American refugees (a couple of Swedes, too, if I recall correctly) who were equally obsessed with Nurburgring.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I probably wasn't there, as luckily on none of my 11 trips has there been snow, surely you met people there I know!

The "1 death per week" stat is pure urban myth. In 2004 there were NO deaths, car or bikes. The year before had a couple, notably a brit in a Ferrari 360 Modena whose car flipped and caught fire at the infamous, very fast Schwedenkreuz corner. He and his passenger burned to death. It was his 2nd or 3rd lap ever, which is a common time to crash when a false sense or security and ability set in - except that more are doing now one their FIRST ever lap, which I suspect is due to Gran Tourismo 4 giving people the ridiculous idea that they can learn this 13 mile long monster on a video game.

This guy has a nice site, includes 2 videos from me: an in-car, lo res lap in my rented Opel Speedster (lots of traffic, note where I put on my blinker to let a line of suicidal bikers by, only then to see a bread van crawling in front of me. I could have either killed my speed for the next mile behind the van, or changed my mind, gone around him, and likely killed the bikers expecting me to move right. These are the kinds of decisions you have to make all the time on crowded days (every open weekend now that Top gear and car mags have been pumping it up!), plus there's the small matter of rain making each turn unpredicatably slippery, blind crests with possible crashes right over them, mechanical failure, and GASP even you screwing up (knock wood, 190 laps down and so far no crashes...but many butt clinching moments!!)

The other vid of mine there is "Ring of Fire", a compilation done on my 3rd and 4th trip with friends from the Isle of Jersey.

http://maddock.uzipp.com/ns/vids/index.htm

This is the world best English language site on the Ring - Ben's a great guy and a very keen and smart driver

Ben Lovejoy's page

I've stuck some pics from my trips here if you're interested

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kedelbach/my_photos

if you're a gearhead, bite the bullet, fly to Frankfurt, Cologne or Koblenz, rent a car and try it out. Of course if you crash (even not your fault!), its virtually guaranteed that most insurance companies will make you pay for the car ;) so do your research, practice sensibly on GT4 (slow car, non-sport tires, electronic aids off, until you know every turn by heart; about 50 laps should do it. Remember that 10 minute full lap may seem slow in the game, but you'll be passing slower Porsches at this speed on the real thing). Nothing though will prepare you for what it feels like to be passed, with inches to spare, by a GT3 Porsche going 140mph while you're doing 80 and thinking thats pretty quick ...

cheers!
Kurt

2KWK4U said:
Kurt,

By chance did I meet you at the Pistenklaus last March? I had the pleasure of dining with several ringers one weekend when the track was unfortunately snowed in.

It was the only opportunity I've had thus far to visit the 'ring, so it was a good trip for me nonetheless. At least I got to see the track and meet a jolly bunch of Brits and American refugees (a couple of Swedes, too, if I recall correctly) who were equally obsessed with Nurburgring.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts