Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pursuing getting a Turbo, got in contact with BradyB from STS he said he could provide a universal kit for $2500, but I would need to get the pipes run and the car tuned. He pointed me in the direction of an shop and they said they'd get back with me in a couple days on if it's possible for them to do it. I'll take out a bigger loan and get the turbo done ASAP if they can. Hopefully they'll cut me a deal being the first :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
wannasolstice2 said:
Anyone think the turbo will be available for existing Sols before this comes out?
Possibly. There are a couple companies working on Turbocharger kits for current 2.4L cars (G6, Cobalt, ION, HHR) which gets your foot in the door for our car. Unfortunately any kit made for one of those cars will not work on our car at all due to the direction the engine is oriented. Also the most difficult part for any kit being made for our car is going to be proper tunning. It's going to need an intercooler for sure, and dealing with the VVT correctly is going to take some work for sure too.

Unless a kit was specificly designed for our car I wouldn't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole. I'm waiting to see what gravana and kappa sphere have product wise.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Whats the stock solstice compression ratio?

Probably has around 10.5 to one? if so an aftermarket bolt on supercharger could put out? 5 or 6 pounds of boost with an intercooler?

Better to buy a factory car but the aftermarket might be a decent way to go with proper pcm tuning and an intercooler?

225 hp? for 6 grand installed?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
225 hp? for 6 grand installed?
225 for ONE grand, and I'm sold.

I have no desire to pour thousands upon thousands of dollars into this car for HP.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I believe the whole supercharger and turbocharger issue will just take some time. It's definitely possible. Before I became commited to the Solstice, I had my heart set on an S2000. Throuhout my research in that car, I found that several companies were very successful in developing supers and turbos for the S2000. Just in case anyone doesn't know, the S2000 has a higher compression ratio and also opperates on variable valve tech.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't it 12.1?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fortimir said:
225 for ONE grand, and I'm sold.

I have no desire to pour thousands upon thousands of dollars into this car for HP.
177 to 225 is a 21.33 which is not to bad for such a high compression engine if you're going for power on the safe side. I've seen several people claim on average you can get ~10HP gain per PSI on a good system or about 5 PSI. You're talking $2500-$3000 for a profesional quality intercooled system without tuning and installation. Lets say $4000 total with install+tuning for a total of $83.33/HP.

With a header + cat-back exhaust system as shown here will net you a solid 10HP gain on this engine, lets risk 15HP with tuning. However you're talking about $1000-$1500 for only a 5.7% increase in power. Lets say $2000 with tuning and install for $133/HP.

Unfortunately you're not going to find a quality Turbocharged or Supercharged system for $1000. If you're really looking for power gains for the money these types of systems are the way to go, but they always just cost more up front to get the power.

·
Registered
705 Posts
brentil said:
With a header + cat-back exhaust system as shown here will net you a solid 10HP gain on this engine, lets risk 15HP with tuning. However you're talking about $1000-$1500 for only a 5.7% increase in power. Lets say $2000 with tuning and install for $133/HP.

Funny you arrive at that figure...I calculate the cost per pony at $132.76 based on the sticker for my car. Looking at it that way $133/HP seems reasonable. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm just messing with you. Honestly though, I don't know where you'd put a buck shot bottle. Where ever it is, there's not going to be room for the warmer and remote bottle opener.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Magnezium said:
I'm just messing with you. Honestly though, I don't know where you'd put a buck shot bottle. Where ever it is, there's not going to be room for the warmer and remote bottle opener.
LMAO! The first customer still has not heard from his dealer on ETA, so his kit is collecting dust. The other two are actual dealerships. (owner's kids, I'm sure LOL)

A 10-lbs. Bottle will be a tight squeeze back there. If you see a Sol with 3 bumps instead of 2 on the rear decklid, let us know.

Then again, N20 may be just another reason for a luggage rack.

:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
gravana1 said:
LMAO! The first customer still has not heard from his dealer on ETA, so his kit is collecting dust. The other two are actual dealerships. (owner's kids, I'm sure LOL)

A 10-lbs. Bottle will be a tight squeeze back there. If you see a Sol with 3 bumps instead of 2 on the rear decklid, let us know.

Then again, N20 may be just another reason for a luggage rack.

:)
:glol: Can you imagine having to jump out, open the bottle, jump back in, then you'd have to catch up to your oponent! But I bet you would!

"Just a sec, I need to find something in the trunk..."

·
Registered
182 Posts
Magnezium said:
:glol: Can you imagine having to jump out, open the bottle, jump back in, then you'd have to catch up to your oponent! But I bet you would!

"Just a sec, I need to find something in the trunk..."
... Or having the remote electronic bottle opener cross frequencies with the rear compartment opener and launch your rear deck lid "James Bond style"...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
brentil said:
10.4:1 according to the latest media.gm.com information.
I was talking about the S2000's CR :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also the shop guy I was talking to didn't think 250-300HP wasn't an unreasonable target.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
If a turbo is your real goal, why not wait for the Solstice GXP due late next summer to fall. It will have 250 or more HP from the factory, be backed by a full warranty, and chances are also have a host of other suspension and braking improvements commensurate with the added power.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Fformula88 said:
If a turbo is your real goal, why not wait for the Solstice GXP due late next summer to fall. It will have 250 or more HP from the factory, be backed by a full warranty, and chances are also have a host of other suspension and braking improvements commensurate with the added power.
:agree:

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.