Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Solstice, 48,000 miles.

Radiator light comes on and off intermittently.

In a GM dealership for service; they tell me they cannot locate the problem.

It is a beautiful vehicle, I don't know what to do if they cannot locate the problem.

Runs great, ice cold air, shifts (automatic) perfectly.

Any ideas ... should I sell the car as is or continue looking for the source of the problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2007 Solstice, 48,000 miles. Radiator light comes on and off intermittently.

At a GM dealer in Orlando, they state the cannot find the source of the difficulty.

Any suggestions? Should I continue to have them look? Should I sell the vehicle?

Thanks!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
226 Posts
Assuming you're talking about the low coolant light, it's controlled by the BCM. So that means the answer to it being an ECM problem is no.

Doesn't mean it's not a BCM problem. That is unlikely though (but not impossible).

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,345 Posts
Selling the vehicle because of an incomplete cel diagnosis seems a drastic step.. perhaps a more knowledgeable mechanic?

·
Registered
300 Posts
You state that the light comes on. Are there actually coolant problem symptoms? If not ignore it. Intermittent behaviour might mean a loose connection. Nice color and nice car. You will get nothing / not much if you sell it. Keep it and enjoy it.

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts
What is the difference in the ECM and the BCM?
The ECM is the Engine Control Module, located in the left side of the engine bay.
The BCM is the Body Control Module, located under the carpet in the passenger foot well.

·
Premium Member
18,741 Posts
The coolant level sensor is built into the bottom of the overflow tank. The white plastic bottle in the left side of the engine bay. The switch that senses the level is known to fail occasionally.

Check the connector to switch condition. Look for any issues. Make sure its tight and clean. If the condition continues, I would replace the overflow tank which replaces the level sensor as well. That is likely to solve your issue.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,184 Posts
I am going to ask the stupid question here. Is the coolant level in the overflow bottle filled to the middle? The coolant bottle is on the driver side. It should be filled to the seam in the tank which is 1/2 way. This is to be checked/filled when the engine is cold. If it is lower then the seam say only 1/2 full it can be tripping the sensor when you take corners. Do the simple thing and check the level yourself.

Reactions: mcurrier

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
I'll second/third/fourth earlier posts. Coolant level low will result in the coolant light coming on and off during cornering , accelerating, decelerating. Bad or dirty connection to the level sensor could be causing this. Or the sensor itself is failing.

I've not read anywhere on this forum of the ECM "failing" in this manner.

I think it's "fixable".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Ash- I’m going with Rob the Elder on this one- I’ve been struggling with Temp/coolant/water pump issues for the past month, and can attest that the folks here on the forum REALLY know their stuff, and of all the stuff-knowers, RtE is probably the stuff-knowiest. Having stared at the dash lights intensely of late, it does sound like your indicator may be the coolant LEVEL indicator ( I mistook it for the radiator initially). Perhaps your coolant level is low? A quick add of fluid when the engine is cooled down may not be amiss.

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts

It is a beautiful vehicle, I don't know what to do if they cannot locate the problem.

Any ideas ... should I sell the car as is or continue looking for the source of the problem?
Can you verify which light is turning on? How "intermittent" is it? When does it happen the most? Are you turning, accelerating, braking, etc?

While low coolant will certainly cause a warning light it is something that a dealership service department should be aware of and easily notice.

What specifically are they telling you? Are they seeing the problem, or is it too intermittent?

·
Registered
12 Posts

Some folks, I learned at NASSAM 17, tap into the block or a plug and place an analog temp instrument routed to the cockpit.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Check the low coolant device on the coolant bottle. I think I've read somewhere before that said they can go bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts