Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've seen the pictures before. Now, according to this article in the Detroit News...

http://info.detnews.com/autosinsider/sneakpeek/index.cfm

the 2007 Solstice GXP seen here in previous spy shots, is going to be powered by a supercharged 200 HP 2.0L motor.

Frankly I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a little more power than a Chevy Malibu. I can't see paying more than an extra grand for the additional 23 HP, and with less displacement to boot. Don't expect a big increase in peak torque.

More money for a 225 HP 2.4L I can see, but not a 200 HP 2.0. Oh well. I can always trade in my base Solstice for a GXP when they finally "shoehorn" a V6 into one. And you know they will.

Could GM be sandbagging with the low HP rating? I was just was hoping the GXP would be a little bit more serious. 200 ponies falls short. Aside from crossing some magic mental barrier of "200 HP" in the real world, what's the point? I won't pony up $2,500 for it. :brentil:

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I am not quite ready to become an official powermonger. I've long been among the group that said "the Solstice is a modern TR-6, so it doesn't need strong acceleration."

But I have to admit, I just expected the GXP to perform more along the lines of the Pontiac G6 GTP:

http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?threadid=13560

Drop that 3.9L in a Solstice and you have a ready made race car with yacht-towing levels of torque. I'm drooling, boys. I'm drooling. This setup would easily take the S2000, though I admit I have no idea how the additional weight would affect handling.

We now return you to our reqularly sponsored PowerMongers. :grouphug:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Jumping the gun, guys...It will have more. See the other discussions on this site concerning the power output, plus the sighting of the Solstice GT at a press conference.

News agencies can be notoriously wrong. And GM has played with Solstice info from the start. ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
make around 200 horsepower and will be harnessed to a six-speed manual transmission.
The standard Solstice, which Detroit auto show crowds adored in concept form in 2004, debuts this fall.
Just to show you how lost they are, they said the Solstice beuts this "fall"! Yup, from "concept form...in 2004"!!! Oh, boy...Too think these people actually get paid to write this garbage. From Detroit, nonetheless!

:willy: :willy: :( :willy: :brentil:

·
5,641 Posts
byebmw said:
Just to show you how lost they are, they said the Solstice beuts this "fall"! Yup, from "concept form...in 2004"!!! Oh, boy...Too think these people actually get paid to write this garbage. From Detroit, nonetheless!

:willy: :willy: :( :willy: :brentil:
GM did make the announcement that the Solstice would be produced at the 2004 Detroit Auto SHow. So that is what the reference is to, I believe. Yes the concept won an award when first shown at the 2002 show, which is what your thinking.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Also this official detnews.com information isn' really all that official. It's the same information we had here that we got from an rx8 forum I believe. One of their members saw them and talked to them, and said the car was making around 200HP. That really means absolutely nothing officially. It could have been a de-tuned test car. It could have been a test car for an engine they're not going to use. There's no proof what the real one will be.

·
Registered
189 Posts
looks like I might be leasing after all :confused: wonder what we can expect in terms of markups for that extra hp. And is it possible an aftermarket charger can deliver better results and cost less? most likely not because the rest of the engine should be beefed up as well in the charged version...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sign me up for the first GXP! :cool:

I wonder if I can pre-order a GT/GXP version of the Solstice next year 2006 for MY 2007??? or if my deposit, when I make one, can count towards this future model?

As for pricing don't expect them to bump the price above the G6 GTP or Grand prix GXP. It wouldnt make much sense to sell a 2.0L turbo for more than the Grand prix GXP with its V-8.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
jimbo said:
Could GM be sandbagging with the low HP rating?
Yes. The 205 HP Supercharged 2.0L ecotec engine is actually making about 200 HP at the wheels in the Saturn Ion Redline, so its probably closer to a 225/230 HP motor.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Everything in that article is old as of early February as the pic is from Copper Mountain. Hope the owner of the photo got some compensation from a proper "news organization" cause he didn't get squat in recognition like we gave him. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
This is pathetic. What a job being a newspaper reporter:

-Lurk on the internet enthusiast sites
-Find something interesting
-Steal the pictures (notice they added the "Brenda Priddy & Company" stamp?)
-Write your article based on rumor.

TADA!!! "Official News Release".

Well, you can believe that single article, or you can spend a few minutes on this and a couple of other sites and get the "more real" story and speculation.

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SMan,

That's the problem with the internet. I can't tell the real news from the crap. I remember someone posting the pictures here, along with rumors of them testing a 200 HP motor. I thought maybe the Detroit News had actually interviewed the folks. Now I know better.

I'll shut up know and wait for Pontiac to officially anounce the specs of the high-output solstice.

On the other hand, the motor being dropped intot the G6 GTP is really sweet. That car is going to be a wonderful driving machine. All they have to do is tune the electric steering for better feel and the G6 is going to be a winner (well, when they restyle it. :D )

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
This is pathetic. What a job being a newspaper reporter:

-Lurk on the internet enthusiast sites
-Find something interesting
-Steal the pictures (notice they added the "Brenda Priddy & Company" stamp?)
-Write your article based on rumor.

TADA!!! "Official News Release".

Well, you can believe that single article, or you can spend a few minutes on this and a couple of other sites and get the "more real" story and speculation.
There is a ton of regurgitaion going on in the press these days. For example, the local Buffalo TV stations all pull their stories out of our newspaper. I don't think they actually do any reporting themselves. They just tell you what the paper is reporting on. This is a similar thing. Find some rumors on the net, write them up, and print. We've seen it before in the major magazines too, who will sometimes even site GMI or other websites as sources.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
jimbo said:
SMan,

That's the problem with the internet. I can't tell the real news from the crap. I remember someone posting the pictures here, along with rumors of them testing a 200 HP motor. I thought maybe the Detroit News had actually interviewed the folks. Now I know better.

I'll shut up know and wait for Pontiac to officially anounce the specs of the high-output solstice.

On the other hand, the motor being dropped intot the G6 GTP is really sweet. That car is going to be a wonderful driving machine. All they have to do is tune the electric steering for better feel and the G6 is going to be a winner (well, when they restyle it. :D )
jimbo - don't shut up.

My comments were directed at the newspaper - we've all seen the pics directly from the guy who took them and talked to the GM/Suppliers that were driving them.

However, it just seems like a measly 23 hp for Forced Induction?!?!?!? We ALL know that even SAAB can do better than that.

Either the guys on the copper mountain ride understated the power, OR there's going to be some mighty disappointed people with their Solstice GT, or GXP or SUPERDUPER or whatever they are going to call it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would bet that it is merely incorrect reporting whether intended or not.

GM often under-values it's own HP #'s (Saturn Ion Redline for example), so dont get in a frenzy over the 200 hp number.

Meanwhile the Solstice GT/GXP isnt really out of the closet so to speak, we dont even know yet if GM will produce it. All bets are off until GM gives us some more concrete info regarding this Solstice option.

I wouldnt be surprised though if the GXP Soltice arrives with the 2.0L engine, with a turbo and producing between 200-250 HP, limited only by the psi and durability testing.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I agree that if they want a quick fix down and dirty the 2.0 s/c is all tested out in the Cobalt an dso is already EPA approved. That's a major major issue. I agree with Jimbo and Solsticeman on what the papers are degrading to. Of course we on the other hand want instant information. At least we know about where we can gather with the copper mt. picture taker to crack a few cold ones during his semester exams. :lol: And we had the pictures...second. :yesnod:

·
Registered
92 Posts
solsticeman said:
However, it just seems like a measly 23 hp for Forced Induction?!?!?!? We ALL know that even SAAB can do better than that.

Either the guys on the copper mountain ride understated the power, OR there's going to be some mighty disappointed people with their Solstice GT, or GXP or SUPERDUPER or whatever they are going to call it.
I don't think I would call that article "reporting" even using the loosest sense of the word.

23 hp with forced induction? I strongly doubt that anyone at GM would look at that and go "Ok, let's do it!" let alone a group of people would decide on it (remember, there had to be some sort of meeting to make the decision :) ) I'd expect a forced induction Solstice to have a little more than an extra 23 hp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts