Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2007 Solstice GXP. Very happy with the vehicle but not excited about the stock stereo system that came with the car. Looking for a much richer sound and more bass sounds. I want a system that will fit in the dash without having to do much change to the dash. Is it just a matter of changing speakers? Who has changed their stereo system and what do you recommend?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great question. From what I've read on the forums, half the people say the weak link is the head unit in the dash, and half the people say it's the door speakers. Not many seem to change both unless going a cost no object approach.
I have the Monsoon OEM option and it is rather pitiful IMO.

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
Hi, I have a 2007 Solstice GXP. Very happy with the vehicle but not excited about the stock stereo system that came with the car. Looking for a much richer sound and more bass sounds. I want a system that will fit in the dash without having to do much change to the dash. Is it just a matter of changing speakers? Who has changed their stereo system and what do you recommend?
Does your car have the Monsoon version of audio system? Monsoon adds a subwoofer behind the passenger seat and (I believe) has better speakers. In addition to the presence of the subwoofer you can check for the RPO code UQ3 on the list inside the glovebox door.

What you need to change depends a lot on where you are starting. With Monsoon, changing the headunit has generally satisfied most people. Without it you will at least have to also add a subwoofer, but may also need new speakers. Even if you "need" new speakers, most have agreed that the door speakers are the only ones that make a radical difference.

None of the changes require modifying the dash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does your car have the Monsoon version of audio system? Monsoon adds a subwoofer behind the passenger seat and (I believe) has better speakers. In addition to the presence of the subwoofer you can check for the RPO code UQ3 on the list inside the glovebox door.

What you need to change depends a lot on where you are starting. With Monsoon, changing the headunit has generally satisfied most people. Without it you will at least have to also add a subwoofer, but may also need new speakers. Even if you "need" new speakers, most have agreed that the door speakers are the only ones that make a radical difference.

None of the changes require modifying the dash.
Thanks for your information. Do you recommend any car stereo conversion shops? I live in MI.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great question. From what I've read on the forums, half the people say the weak link is the head unit in the dash, and half the people say it's the door speakers. Not many seem to change both unless going a cost no object approach.
I have the Monsoon OEM option and it is rather pitiful IMO.
Thanks for your information, it was helpful. Do you recommend a stereo conversion shop that could do this job? I live in MI.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
There has been some great threads on the site as to what folks put in & some with a lot of detail concerning the install. A few years ago i went with the Kenwood DNN770HD Navi Receiver with GPS & back up camera & swapped out the front speakers. The unit i think is no longer available. So far i'm pleased with the unit. To me its a matter of personal preference. Good luck in your search & let us know what you decide on & how it sounded to you after the install .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There has been some great threads on the site as to what folks put in & some with a lot of detail concerning the install. A few years ago i went with the Kenwood DNN770HD Navi Receiver with GPS & back up camera & swapped out the front speakers. The unit i think is no longer available. So far i'm pleased with the unit. To me its a matter of personal preference. Good luck in your search & let us know what you decide on & how it sounded to you after the install .
Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Me too. Went KENWOOD DNX 892 and new door speakers. I have the monsoon system and that is all you need to do IMO.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac Solstice, 2.4L base model.
78 Posts
Agree with the Kenwood product. I put in a Kenwood Excelon DDX396 that I purchased thru Crutchfield and it was great fit and easy to use (no dash cutting). Since I only had the base Solstice, I upgraded the speakers to JBL as with added a JBL powered subwoofer. Sound is clean and bass is tight at high volume levels when the top is down. Do not regret the upgrade one bit. In addition, I added a back up camera and of course, now have other features such as hands free, bluetooth connection and etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree with the Kenwood product. I put in a Kenwood Excelon DDX396 that I purchased thru Crutchfield and it was great fit and easy to use (no dash cutting). Since I only had the base Solstice, I upgraded the speakers to JBL as with added a JBL powered subwoofer. Sound is clean and bass is tight at high volume levels when the top is down. Do not regret the upgrade one bit. In addition, I added a back up camera and of course, now have other features such as hands free, bluetooth connection and etc. View attachment 108528
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
I'd check to see if you have the Monsoon or not. If not, you could look at finding that system to upgrade to. Only reason I suggest that is that after market (especially high end) car systems are like candy to thieves. Stok systems never get stolen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd check to see if you have the Monsoon or not. If not, you could look at finding that system to upgrade to. Only reason I suggest that is that after market (especially high end) car systems are like candy to thieves. Stok systems never get stolen.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I posted this on another thread but will repeat it here as well. I just recently did a stereo upgrade to my 2008 NA, and am super happy with the results. Alpine ILX-W650 system and the CarPlay support is incredible. Sounds great streaming iTunes or Amazon music as well. Got most of the system from crutchfield with a couple of accessories from amazon (bypass switch and usb cigarette lighter port to coo etc iPhone for carplay). My stock system was a monsoon system and to me the speakers are great with the new head end. If you have any questions about the swap out let me know. I did it my self and if you a little bit handy it’s not too bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I posted this on another thread but will repeat it here as well. I just recently did a stereo upgrade to my 2008 NA, and am super happy with the results. Alpine ILX-W650 system and the CarPlay support is incredible. Sounds great streaming iTunes or Amazon music as well. Got most of the system from crutchfield with a couple of accessories from amazon (bypass switch and usb cigarette lighter port to coo etc iPhone for carplay). My stock system was a monsoon system and to me the speakers are great with the new head end. If you have any questions about the swap out let me know. I did it my self and if you a little bit handy it’s not too bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I agree with others that say that, if you have Monsoon, a head unit swap is the way to go. I did a Kenwood swap shortly after getting the car and now yearn for Apple Car Play but wireless Car Play would be the way I would go.

Have been looking and the units aren't too badly priced, may be an upgrade in my future.

Reactions: Northern Sol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with others that say that, if you have Monsoon, a head unit swap is the way to go. I did a Kenwood swap shortly after getting the car and now yearn for Apple Car Play but wireless Car Play would be the way I would go.

Have been looking and the units aren't too badly priced, may be an upgrade in my future.
Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
586 Posts
no monsoon hear....I did change speakers, it sounds better but not great. I havent put the foam backing or rings around the speakers yet( they were late to arrive when I put in speakers) I have a dvd /gps for it but just havent got around to it. Im not sure why they put such a lame system in these cars at the price they sold at.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no monsoon hear....I did change speakers, it sounds better but not great. I havent put the foam backing or rings around the speakers yet( they were late to arrive when I put in speakers) I have a dvd /gps for it but just havent got around to it. Im not sure why they put such a lame system in these cars at the price they sold at.
Thanks for your information.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts