Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Do you still have the factory radio with the CD changer?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If it's in good shape and you want to part with it, keep me in mind

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, I have a 2007 Solstice GXP. Very happy with the vehicle but not excited about the stock stereo system that came with the car. Looking for a much richer sound and more bass sounds. I want a system that will fit in the dash without having to do much change to the dash. Is it just a matter of changing speakers? Who has changed their stereo system and what do you recommend?
Sorry I'm late to the thread. I did an extensive sound system upgrade in my 2006 2 years ago. I've had an opportunity for hindsight - and I'll share that with you here...

Things I would do the same (in priority order)...
1. Install tweeters in the rear sail panel. Many have commented that the 3" speakers in the sails are worthless, and add little to the sound. I took that advice to heart - and tried to improve the design to address that. I used Infinity component speakers, and replaced the sail panel speakers with a 3" midrange in the factory location and added a 1" tweeter that required a new hole high up in the panel. The results are excellent! Those speakers are now fully integrated with the sound of the car. I'll admit that cutting that hole caused a significant pucker factor - and finding the exact right spot that didn't interfere with the seatback latch was another challenge - but the results were worth it.
2. Update the factory subwoofer. I removed the factory subwoofer and updated it. I scraped off all the decomposing foam tape, pulled out the old driver, and went with new. I went with new foam tape, filled the cavity with speaker fill (it improves the low end frequency response) and installed a slimline driver from Pioneer that fit the existing holes perfectly. A custom subwoofer would be great - but this update was easy - and the result was solid, tight bass. Not super deep or boomy - but tight.
3. Seal the door panels. One of the problems with the doors in automobiles is that they act as "speaker cabinets" - and most door panels (including the Solstice) are swiss cheese. Because I was going to the trouble of adding Noico (similar to Dynamat) during the install - I went the extra mile and sealed up the door panels with that along with some duct tape. The results were very good. Of course the Infinity Kappa speaker upgrade was also important - but think the combination was the key to significantly improving the mid-bass. The downside is that the doors are not nearly as accessible if I have to get in there and fix something - but if that ever happens I've got extra Noico/Dynamat that I can use to seal things up again if I have to rip part of it out to get in there.
4. Alpine 5ch Amplifier + Infinity Kappa Component Speakers. This combination was terrific. Highly recommended.

Things I would do differently...
1. I went with a Pioneer receiver CD/DVD/CarPlay - and I was never happy with it. I'll go into more detail at some point - but after two years it had to go. I replaced it with a new slimline receiver from Alpine. It did everything the Pioneer did (except the CD/DVD functionality - which I never used) with half the depth and half the price. It boots up much faster and has a much more viewable screen.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts