Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchase a 2007 with 16,000 miles on it. My only concern it that I hear a noise in the rear when making a turn. Do you think that purple gear 75W-90 will take care of the noise?

·
Super Moderator
6,473 Posts
just purchase a 2007 with 16,000 miles on it. My only concern it that I hear a noise in the rear when making a turn. Do you think that purple gear 75W-90 will take care of the noise?
Welcome to the forum.

Do you know if you have a limited slip differential? To confirm it, look for G80 in the RPO code list inside the glove box door.

If you do, the axle needs lube with an LSD additive in it. I don't know if the RP lube contains one.

What is the noise? Improper lube with an LSD will cause a grinding noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.

Do you know if you have a limited slip differential? To confirm it, look for G80 in the RPO code list inside the glove box door.

If you do, the axle needs lube with an LSD additive in it. I don't know if the RP lube contains one.

What is the noise? Improper lube with an LSD will cause a grinding noise.
I look and I have a G80. It sounds like a little grinding noise. I'll have to change the rear oil and make see that the new oil has the LSD additive. Thanks for tell me where to look for the G80 I would never had found it in the glove box.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
please note that this noise could also be a brake 'backing' ( stone shield ? ) that rubs.
-> ( grinding noise )

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I look and I have a G80. It sounds like a little grinding noise. I'll have to change the rear oil and make see that the new oil has the LSD additive. Thanks for tell me where to look for the G80 I would never had found it in the glove box.
If you can't find the oil with the LSD additive in it, you can buy the additive separately. like sirwm said, while the car is upon jacks, pull the wheels and check the gravel shields and also the brake pads.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Royal Purple Max Gear 75-90 does contain the additives for a limited slip differential I have used this along with others on the forum with good results . AC Delco sells the additive in a 4 oz. bottle which is enough for your application part # is 10-4003

·
Premium Member
10,348 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
IS Royal Purple Max Gear 75-90 better then the AC Delco additive in a 4 oz. bottle ????
The AC Delco additive would be something that you would add to a gear oil that does not contain the necessary additives for a limited slip differential you will be fine using Royal Purple . After you change your fluid go to a parking lot and do a series of figure 8's this assures that the limited slip components are well lubricated .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts