Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I'd love to have my Solstice before this Christmas, I am planning on purchasing a TURBO next Fall as a 2007 model. How many of you guys, who are buying the 2006 model, plan on trading it in for the 2007 TURBO? I've always thought that it would be well worth the wait to get the "top-of-the-line" model of any car, especially if that wait is less than one year away. If you buy a 2006 (as exciting as that will be!), won't you be a bit disappointed next year when you're stopped at a red light next to a growling TURBO model?
Hopefully I have not offended anyone by my statement above, as 2006 Solstice's are beyond cool, but they don't quite cut it in my opinion. Who ever responds better be nice, as I'm shy and sensative. LATER!

·
Registered
245 Posts
i am going to wait till someone comes out with aftermarket turbo kit for it. get more power out of her that way... i won't be dissapointed. only if it breaks down. :lol:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
CalBear said:
Who ever responds better be nice, as I'm shy and sensative. LATER!
MY ASS! in-sensitive is more like it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
CalBear said:
If you buy a 2006, won't you be a bit disappointed next year when you're stopped at a red light next to a growling TURBO model?
Your question pre-supposes a GXP being available in year :leaving:

I have a hunch, that a year from now the only Solstices I'll be rolling up to, will be NA 2.4 VVT engines just like mine. ;)

... a bird in the hand...

·
Registered
383 Posts
As a person that has been in the car business for over 15 years...IMHO I do not trust american cars with turbos. Yes I realize this may upset a few...but history does not bode well for these cars. I managed a Saab dealership and those were smooth seamless turbos that held up. I can't say that about domestic vehicles. Most have been nightmares in the service dept. I'll stick with the stock engine.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT MORE POWER!

JUST GET ME THE CAR I ORDERED. THE SPEED LIMIT IS 65 HERE, IF I CAN BRING THE CAR UP TO 60 IN 7.2 SECONDS. THAT BEATS MOST OF THE V8S BACK IN THE 70S. AND ALOT OF THE V8 GAS HOGS OF TODAY!! MITCH :cool:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
MITCH said:

JUST GET ME THE CAR I ORDERED. THE SPEED LIMIT IS 65 HERE, IF I CAN BRING THE CAR UP TO 60 IN 7.2 SECONDS. THAT BEATS MOST OF THE V8S BACK IN THE 70S. AND ALOT OF THE V8 GAS HOGS OF TODAY!! MITCH :cool:
I'm not racing. I don't need an extra 2 seconds shaved off. Maybe if I have extra dollars laying around some day, I'll turbo it up... but I am fine with a 2006 Solstice. I'm actually tired of hearing all this news about the GXP when the 2006 isn't even out yet.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Not everyone's goal on this forum is to go from zero to ticket in under 4 seconds. If a Turbo pulls along side and wants to race stoplight to stoplight so be it, I'll be looking at his tail-lights. I was 'lucky' enough to witness the death of two children due to this very kind of foolishness. I have driven many 'sports' cars well over 100 mph but on the track where real drivers meet real drivers (truth, as a 'kid' I was a bit less restrained).

So to answer your question...no.

·
Registered
54 Posts
MITCH said:

:agree: I plan on getting three things at once:
1) To the speed limit quickly
2) To the gas pump less often
3) Lots of looks in my 2006 1st 1000 this fall

Life is to short to wait on what if's

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
If you want the extra power it's probably smart to wait. With ~250hp I'm sure it will be a blast to drive.

Personally for me it's the pure roadster stock model but I'm glad it will have 2 flavors so the high-power crew can get their fun in.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I don't know why some of you let Calbear get under your skin. This is really not an inflamatory post. I know he has rubbed a few the wrong way based on his choice of some words, but lets not get carried away here. If you think he is trying to cause a little mayhem, your falling right into his trap. (I am not accusing him of this btw).

So let me point you guys back to my "User notes" thread. Lets try to take to take things in stride and keep an even keel. Things will work out one way or the other in the long run.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3509&page=1&pp=15

On topic, I am planning to wait for the turbo. Nothing against the base cars, since I am sure they will be loads of fun. I just think I would like the added power of the turbo even more!

If you like Saab turbos, I think you'll like this one. Saab has developed GM's ecotec turbo, which is the engine they use in the 9-3. GM also uses variations in some opels in Europe. I would assume they are building on this Saab development for their Solstice turbo ecotec.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
In my perspective...

I don't have to worry about that since I still have
my 96 WS6 T/A with polished heads, edelbrock headers, torque converter, 160 degree thermostat, Hypertech programmer, nitrous, etc, etc and still smoke :devil: newer cars in the 0 to 60 well...except for the new C6 and Z06.

Being in my mid 20's that was fun back then. Like someone said, You should not have to drive over 70 mph to have fun.

The Solstice should be a statement for FUN FACTOR, not racing.
You want racing, buy a nice 2004 convertible T/A WS6, or a Subaru WRX STI.
Although, It might be quite nice to have this little car match my numbers,
All I want is a fun car for the most money that can take me to work and back in a relaxed and smooth way and "Solstice" might be the answer.

Karr

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm intentionally waiting for the turbo'd model, but I think I'd really enjoy a naturally aspirated Solstice, too. For me, it just happens that finances dictate that I wait, so I'm going for the extra kick. While I'm waiting for my car, you guys are going to be out there driving, having a blast, and that's cool.

I was *this* close to trying for the EOP program, or at least getting an order in back in April. I had a registration number for the EOP program (got it right after the Apprentice episode) but started doing the math the next morning and decided to cancel my afternoon off that I had planned on taking to go fight the EOP crowds.

What everyone in my position (waiting for the factory turbo) needs to remember is that the '06 owners are going to be getting a lot of valuable experience with these cars that we're all going to benefit from.

The "ignore list" is a very cool feature, btw.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I don't know why some of you let Calbear get under your skin... If you think he is trying to cause a little mayhem, your falling right into his trap. (I am not accusing him of this btw).
err... yes you are :lol:

Personally, I thought all of the responses were far less inflamatory than the original post (not that I mind)... until you accused him of trying to stir things up :willy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts