Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Having a hard time trying to locate replacement door sills (metal pieces with SOLSTICE or GXP). Went to the dealer and all they could order were the plain metal...no writing. Anyone know where I can get the original kind to put back in there (have the ones that say SOLSTICE). Reason I am looking is that one of them had a small dent and I wanted to replace it. (Just had the car for a couple of months). So, thought maybe someone out there knew of a company that still made them. Would like to stick with the original style that came with the car and not any LED type. I did check those out and they are something like $170.00!!!

Please and Thank you! :thumbs:

Tammy

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
From what I've seen, I believe you have to order the entire plastic piece with the strip attached.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just bought a pair of door thresholds about a month ago from GMPartsGiant for $95. Part numbers are 25774447 and 25774448. On mine, the metal had warped up after a few summer-winter cycles. You can't buy just the metal, you have to buy the whole plastic part with the metal attached. They just attach with body clips so just pull straight up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow....things you learn, huh?! Replace the whole plastic part...AWW! Well, I guess I will check out GMPartsGiant. Woudn't it be so much easier to just replace the metal piece?!?! : (

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Actually, I think it would be easier to replace the whole thing. I believe the metal is fastened with a 2 sided tape and that would be a bear to peel up, clean off, and tape down the new strip. As Zonk pointed out above, you use pull the whole piece up to remove, push the new one down to clip it in place.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If they're already coming up like mine and zonkers were it pulls right off. But, cleaning the remaining sticky is a bit of a chore but worth it if you could get just the metal strips. Hint, hint, to the supporting vendors looking for something else to make and sell.

·
Registered
46 Posts
An additional problem with the lifting of the metal, besides the tape failing in the first place, is the plastic contracting faster than the metal, pushing on the ends of the metal strip and causing it to bow up. I know mine will do it again eventually and there's not much I can do to stop it. The illuminated sills ride on top of the plastic so the plastic can expand and contract without distorting the metal but I really don't need/want the illumination and they no longer sell the non-illuminated version. If someone were going to make them, it seems like it wouldn't take much to stamp metal strips with rolled over edges. No illumination, No custom work. Just something that would tastefully cover the area that used to have the nice shiny smooth metal insert. :yesnod:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts