Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined this site, had found it by accident. I have an 08 GXP with 1000 miles on, yes you read it right. I bought it brand new back in 08.. Here is my problem that I need help with. I took it out this past weekend for the first time this year, ran like a top, however my radio doesn't produce audio. The radio turns on fine & displays info as it should, just no audio at all. I checked the #23 fuse, checked ok. I did some research on the net & things seem point to the amplifier possibly? Any help would be appreciated. How can I narrow it down to be sure it is the amplifier?, & if that is the case, I understand it sits behind the drivers seat, behind the panel. Can anyone give me instructions on how to remove the panel & where the clips might be located? Seems like a lot of work to get to the amp if that truly is the problem. Also is the amp swappable, or does the dealer have to program the replacement one?, sorry for all the questions, just needing some help here. I would prefer to do the work myself, as I try to avoid the dealer as much as possible,as I don't want some flyby mechanic slocking up my car.. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The panels just pull off. Start with the door sills, then the rear corners then the rear large piece. Only thing holding them in are push tabs. You will need to unclip the wires to the speakers in the rear corners. I removed everything from my first gxp and installed into my second one.

I do not know how many speakers are powered or not powered by the amp. My 2d solstice did not have the monsoon system (amp and sub) which is why I moved everything from first one.

I have a monsoon radio and a non-monsoon radio if you want/need to pursue that venue. The difference is one radio produces a low level output to speakers (monsoon) whereas the other one actuall powers the speakers.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Juspimpin is correct with the how to.

Are you sure you have a monsoon radio? Do you see a sub speaker cone behind the grill behind the pass seat? If so, you do. In which case the amplifier behind the driver seat powers ALL the speakers and could be the common point of failure.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just joined this site, had found it by accident. I have an 08 GXP with 1000 miles on, yes you read it right. I bought it brand new back in 08.. Here is my problem that I need help with. I took it out this past weekend for the first time this year, ran like a top, however my radio doesn't produce audio. The radio turns on fine & displays info as it should, just no audio at all.

Very unlikely but worth checking...

If your car is so equipped, there is a button on the steering wheel that mutes the audio. Possibly accidentally activated???

(Well, I said it was unlikely).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Very unlikely but worth checking...

If your car is so equipped, there is a button on the steering wheel that mutes the audio. Possibly accidentally activated???

(Well, I said it was unlikely).
Always a good idea to start with the easy stuff. Does that switch mute it completely or just reduce it by 80% or something? I dont have the steering wheel buttons working with my aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Mutes completely, but it only lasts one keycycle, so I doubt it's that.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Hey TS, On the stock AMP, is it a standard amp that has RCA cord inputs or is it wired / hi level input? Sorry to jump in here with no advise to the OP but I pulled the amps out of my outlander and am wondering if I need to yank out the line adapter too.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
It's a balanced mid/high-level input with a special plug/connector (not RCAs). So to add an aftermarket amp you'll need to use a line adapter that uses a transformer(s) that can handle balanced inputs, such as a PAC-SOEM4 (what I used).

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
hmmm. cool. i think that's exactly what I have behind the dash. In fact, I have 2 of them so I could split and control the subs. so I take it the amp controlls all speakers and not just the sub?

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
hmmm. cool. i think that's exactly what I have behind the dash. In fact, I have 2 of them so I could split and control the subs. so I take it the amp controlls all speakers and not just the sub?
Err...

[...]In which case the amplifier behind the driver seat powers ALL the speakers and could be the common point of failure.
:devil:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
08 gxp radio problems

Hi again, I have already tried to steering wheel mute on & off button before I did the original post here , the radio does show when muted & unmuted,, but no sound what so ever. I am really leaning toward this amp, has anyone ever had to change that?. if so is it straight forward, or does the dealer have to program the amp as well, also does any one have any documentation or pictures on all the panel removal?? to get to this amp??.... thanks again to everyone, any help is greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I may have heard of one amp failure, though I think it was only one or two channels. I'm thinking more likely a wiring or loose connector problem. Maybe behind the radio... or even the radio itself (more of those have failed).

If it does turn out to be the amp, no dealer program is reqd.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
you sure there's not an additional fuse somewhere. Amps don't usually just go dead unless you blow a cap but I doubt that's possible on the stock amp. I bet it's a fuse or something before the amp. usually when a multi channel amp goes you can hear something out of one of the speakers.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
^^ There IS a fuse just for the amp, in the footwell BCM (top left fuse).

·
Registered
728 Posts
you sure there's not an additional fuse somewhere. Amps don't usually just go dead unless you blow a cap but I doubt that's possible on the stock amp. I bet it's a fuse or something before the amp. usually when a multi channel amp goes you can hear something out of one of the speakers.
You beat me to the post, that was what I was thinking...
Great minds think alike...:D:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
16,399 Posts
I may have heard of one amp failure, though I think it was only one or two channels. I'm thinking more likely a wiring or loose connector problem. Maybe behind the radio... or even the radio itself (more of those have failed).

If it does turn out to be the amp, no dealer program is reqd.
:agree::agree::agree:

Its very unusual to have a failure at all, let alone a total failure like you describe unless its a connector come adrift or the radio has failed on the output side. Been around any lightning lately? Or maybe a fluke as a result of swapping the battery or jumping the car?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything but Monday morning I got in my car and I turned off the auto dim as it was light enough outside and when I looked down at my radio, the display was gone. all there was were a couple faint lines and a dot. the radio was playing just fine though. I turned the radio off and then on and it went back to normal. we did get a bit of rain Sunday but nothing major.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all your feedbacks but here is where I stand now,as I mentioned the radio comes on fine, just no audio what so ever,I checked both fuses for the radio & amp, both are in working order when I metered them out,so with that said, I would like to check for possible connection problems perhaps,,can someone please send me a instructions,pictures on how to remove the dash bezel to get to the radio removal? I understand the radio has to be removed in ordered to get to the back side to check the connecters,if that checks ok then I will need to get to the amp & would also like instructions, pictures on removing the backwall without breaking anything,any help would be greatly appreciated. I will keep you posted on my progress,I figure its has to be something simple hopefully like a loose connector. thanks again to all.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Thanks for posting that TS. I'm not in the market to replace my stock radio just yet but I copied the link for future reference. That sure makes it easier.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts