Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 GXP automatic with 71k miles. When the weather is below 60 degrees F, a weird noise appears to be coming from the engine. It sounds like a high pitch version of Chewbacca from Star Wars. It makes this loud noise when it is sitting idle and also when accelerating and decelerating. Really no rhyme or reason as to when it makes this noise. When the weather is warm (above 60 degrees) it does not make the noise. Does anybody have any thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
Is the pitch of the noise constant, or does it vary with engine speed? What about the volume?

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
High pitch points me toward an air leak, possibly one of the connections to the intercooler......but you'd hear that only under boost. Not sure why its only when its cold?

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Record the noise with your phone, post it to YouTube and share the link here so we can hear what we're dealing with.

This could result from any number of things. Squealing accessory drive belt (or accessory), air leak as previously mentioned, bad tensioner, something loose that is sitting too close to the accessory drive system, bad AC clutch (though that's a bit of a stretch), your turbo tearing itself to pieces (or just being loud due to an opening in the intake tract)...

Reactions: easyryderca

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Something is opening and closing, in my opinion. Not familiar enough with the turbo to know what it might be.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You nailed it with the Chewbacca description..(y)

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Your throttlebody to charge pipe hose looks really far away from being "hubbed"

Are you missing the hose that connects to the other red circle?
What he said ^

The valve cover vent hose has broken away from the air intake tube (not good) at Saveaux's top red circle, and the throttle-body rubber hose is nowhere near being fully attached to the aluminum pipe at the bottom circle.

The noise sounds like a rattle to me, but it could well be air blowing out of that throttle-body intake and making a 'raspberry'.

Fix those two things and see if it clears up. The second is an obvious and easy DIY fix. The first has happened to plenty of folks - usually when they pull the lid to change the air filter without first unclipping the braided hose. Folks have either replaced the whole air intake tube (expensive), replaced it with and aftermarket metal one (DDM or Werks - also not cheap) or simply glued the nipple back on the intake tube. Many, many threads on this issue - do a search.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your throttlebody to charge pipe hose looks really far away from being "hubbed"

Are you missing the hose that connects to the other red circle?
I noticed that the plastic nipple had broken off and is inside the hose connector. I removed the broken nipple and not sure if it is able to be super glued back on, but I will try. See the picture.
Any other suggestions? Do you thinks this is the cause of the weird noise?
Thanks
GXP.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What he said ^

The valve cover vent hose has broken away from the air intake tube (not good) at Saveaux's top red circle, and the throttle-body rubber hose is nowhere near being fully attached to the aluminum pipe at the bottom circle.

The noise sounds like a rattle to me, but it could well be air blowing out of that throttle-body intake and making a 'raspberry'.

Fix those two things and see if it clears up. The second is an obvious and easy DIY fix. The first has happened to plenty of folks - usually when they pull the lid to change the air filter without first unclipping the braided hose. Folks have either replaced the whole air intake tube (expensive), replaced it with and aftermarket metal one (DDM or Werks - also not cheap) or simply glued the nipple back on the intake tube. Many, many threads on this issue - do a search.
Here is a better picture of the throttle-body rubber hose in Saveaux's bottom red circle. Does this look correct?
GXP2.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok...I have repaired the valve cover vent hose and it is now connected back to the air intake tube. The noise still persists. I looked closer for the source. It appears to be some sort of vibration coming from the alternator. I touch the alternator while it is making the noise and can feel the vibration. Has anyone seen this before? Is the alternator going bad? 71k miles. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
AC compressor? It doesn't really sound like a bearing failure, but couuld be.

You could try taking the accessory belt off and running the engine to see if the sound goes away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alternator bearing, verify by putting a long solid object (screw driver) on alternator housing and hold the other end to your ear. You'll hear and feel the vibration.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Your throttle hose isn't all the way onto the intake pipe. That depressed section just to the left of the hose in your last picture is where the clamp is supposed to be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts