Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2008 Solstice. I was wondering if anyone on here has had problems with the trunk leaking, and if so, are there any inexpensive fixes for it?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
The other day it rained like crazy and the day after I popped my trunk to fool with my antenna and the trunk lid lining was wet but it looked more like condensation rather than come from a leak. the carpet was a little damp in the corner but everything else was dry. I towel dried it real good and left it open / cracked for about 6 hours and it seems fine. I'll look at the wiring and anything else it can be and hopefully it's not a problem. I'll respond back if I find anything out though.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I wish I knew Rob but it was dripping. the whole trunk was dry and the top lining was soaking wet. especially towards the back near the hinges. I may have to remove the lining and run the hose on the trunk for a few minutes then open it and see if I can tell where it's coming from.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
The other day it rained like crazy and the day after I popped my trunk to fool with my antenna and the trunk lid lining was wet but it looked more like condensation rather than come from a leak. the carpet was a little damp in the corner but everything else was dry. I towel dried it real good and left it open / cracked for about 6 hours and it seems fine. I'll look at the wiring and anything else it can be and hopefully it's not a problem. I'll respond back if I find anything out though.
Basically, there are only a few ways that water can get into the trunk.
Through the buttress holes
Past the seals
Runoff when you open a wet trunk and the water that has pooled between the humps cascades off the rear of the trunk lid.

I would give the seals a good look.
Check the two side drains to make sure they are functioning as designed. (pour water into them and see what happens)

You can treat the seals with di-electric grease which will help them seal.

Good luck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
In the fall I place a pail of damp rid
in the trunk.
You can Google. Damp Rid.
Works great.
LLLFLY

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
The side drains are usually the culprit make sure as ROB says they are functioning.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
OH, that reminds me. the Vette has these things called astro vents and they too have drains similar to the solstice drain. Both were dry rotted so any water that got in the vents leaked into the car. I used a bicycle tube and made new hoses. I bet one is cloged and not draining fast enough so it fills up the pan and soaks the lining. I'll check it out for sure. Thanks guys. hopefully I'll be posting that that did it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts