Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the fuel pump in my coupe suddenly sprang a leak between the black fitting and the white pump housing on the outlet side of the pump: gas EVERYWHERE....

is this a common problem, or was i just 'blessed'...?
Bill

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
'blessed' I think...Your the first of I've heard with this issue!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spraying out between the black & white in the circle. it's either cracked or come unglued...
Bill

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Not likely to have been "glued" but it could have been. The reason being that the plastic materials that stand up very well to fuels tend to not let things stick to them.

It may have been a press-fit but more likely a sonic weld where the two pieces are actually melted together (the route I would have selected.)

Can you see any cracks around the outer white cylinder that the black nipple goes into? Maybe under a magnifying glass? If you have the unit out (I assume that's a stock picture and not of your actual pump?) can you find any material identification on it? It should have something like >PA< or other letters between the arrows. That could help to identify a possible glue or sealant that will stick.

You're likely to end up trying an epoxy unless you're already in process of replacing the whole unit.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
tearing out the interior to access the pump isn't a 'fun' thing; so i've ordered a new AirTex pump out of calif on ebay... i will check the original when i take it out, BUT there seems to be a slight 'wiggle' of the black part. don't know if it is cracked or loose.... and wouldn't want to trust a 'repair' if not done right... it's a BAD place to have a fuel leak...

why that connection is done differently from the others certainly puzzles me; why the two pieces instead like the others..

hard to believe, but with the exception of possibly a GM dealer (which i didn't check as just the FLAPS prices are ridiculous...), there are no fuel pumps available locally, not even their warehouses.... checked NAPA, Oreilly, Advance Auto, Autozone, etc and all said they were a 'factory' order item... and, 2008 & 2009 are different pumps from the earlier ones...

Bill

PS: and the car only has 2800 miles on it.... not a good sign....

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Source One has them for $189. I believe that these are 09 pumps but for the 2.4

dont know if they fit your car or not.

2008-09 PONTIAC SOLSTICE SATURN SKY 2.4L FUEL PUMP 19257688 19178558 M10120
thanks...

isn't Source One the folks that bought out Wilmington parts? if so, i looked at the pump that they have listed and it is missing at least the electrical module on top.

paid $162 & free shipping for an Airtex E3785M pump. normal street price at parts places is about $250 and up. the Good Lord only knows what GM wants...
Bill

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I personally wouldn't trust the repair either. Not like it's a trim clip or something. I'd be very interested in studying the failure mode if you can't nail it down when you pull it out. Would be nice for future reference if anybody else comes across this problem.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
thanks...

isn't Source One the folks that bought out Wilmington parts? if so, i looked at the pump that they have listed and it is missing at least the electrical module on top.

paid $162 & free shipping for an Airtex E3785M pump. normal street price at parts places is about $250 and up. the Good Lord only knows what GM wants...
Bill
GM list price is in the $425 - $450 range, commonly available internet pricing is about $245 - $260.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I personally wouldn't trust the repair either. Not like it's a trim clip or something. I'd be very interested in studying the failure mode if you can't nail it down when you pull it out. Would be nice for future reference if anybody else comes across this problem.
will let you know...
:lurk:
Bill

·
Registered
398 Posts
Did the coupes use a different pump than the roadster?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
new Airtex pump came yesterday and it took us 5 hours, using hand tools to remove and replace it (interior was already stripped out).

i'm sure there are special tools available to remove/reinstall the lock ring, but none that we could find locally.

using screwdrivers and hammers we got the ring off, but there was no way in hell that they were going to help in reinstalling... we ended up making a spanner to lock the ring and it took EVERY bit of my strength to turn it to lock...

never want to do that again....
Bill

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not likely to have been "glued" but it could have been. The reason being that the plastic materials that stand up very well to fuels tend to not let things stick to them.

It may have been a press-fit but more likely a sonic weld where the two pieces are actually melted together (the route I would have selected.)

Can you see any cracks around the outer white cylinder that the black nipple goes into? Maybe under a magnifying glass? If you have the unit out (I assume that's a stock picture and not of your actual pump?) can you find any material identification on it? It should have something like >PA< or other letters between the arrows. That could help to identify a possible glue or sealant that will stick.

You're likely to end up trying an epoxy unless you're already in process of replacing the whole unit.
got the pump changed out (a 5 hour ordeal with hand tools and a 'homemade' spanner)

the black nipple wiggled slightly, and with a bit more pressure it just snapped off even with the white part; so i guess it was cracked... from the orientation of the hoses, i can see nothing that caused/would cause any stress on that nipple.

interesting that no one else has had this problem, i guess i was 'blessed'...:devil:
Bill

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Once again, Bill, if you'd be interested in sending the failed components to me I'd love to take a look at them to try and determine the failure mode. PM me if you think it's worth it to share the findings.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Once again, Bill, if you'd be interested in sending the failed components to me I'd love to take a look at them to try and determine the failure mode. PM me if you think it's worth it to share the findings.
given your interest in a failure analysis, i'm sorry i 'wiggled' it and broke it off. it was surely a partial circumferential crack.

BUT, i digress and am out of my league....; if there is an economical way to send it, i would be happy to do so...

PM me
:thumbs:

Bill

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi there!

I was going to ask if this has the "high torque" installation ring. I guess so.

Used to, you removed and reinstalled the fuel pump assembly with a hammer and screwdriver (or brass drift). Not now. To get the ring to lock, you need a special tool. I don't have that tool. I did have to replace that module on my ex-wife's '07 Malibu when the fuel gauge sending unit failed. Reinstalling that without the tool was a two-person job (plus another to swear, Dad and I together weren't up to the task of sufficient swearing).

If you're planning on R&R the fuel pump, buy the tool.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts