Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, it is with a somewhat heavy heart that I have decided to sell my Solstice Coupe. I wish I had the means to keep all of my toys but the reality is that occasionally (and reluctantly) we need to sell 1 or 2 to make room for new arrivals!

So, let me describe my Solstice GXP Coupe to the best of my ability with the hopes that maybe it is what one of you may be looking for.

It is a 2009, GXP Coupe with a 5-speed manual transmission and in the Cool Silver color. It has the Monsoon radio, AC, etc. (I'm not sure if there's any options it doesn't have - please just ask me if I am missing something.) The car has 12,500 miles on it. Price is $28,000. I got the car as the second owner and it had approximately 9800 miles on it. These mods were all made at approximately the 11,000 mile mark.

I didn't really want to get the car just to sit and stare at - although admittedly I could do this as I find the car to be very attractive from most angles. I set out to make some improvements - pretty much all of which I learned about from this forum. My goal was to make this car something I could enjoy at HPDE events when seemingly everything else out there was either a BMW, Mustang, Corvette or Honda (S2000). The first upgrade was the front brakes. I purchased the Brembo brake calipers from a Cobalt SS and then sent them out and had them completely rebuilt and painted (black). We flushed and filled the brake lines with RBF600 DOT 4 – the same stuff we use in the Ford GT track cars that we have built. The new, larger 4-piston calipers required larger rotors, so the rotors were upgraded as well. Of course new brake pads were also purchased and installed to complete brake upgrade - one of the areas where allegedly the Solstice has some weakness. Now, as you may know, with the larger calipers and rotors the OEM wheels no longer will fit. As such, I outfitted the car with Enkei PF01 wheels (much lighter than OEM) and shod them with 265/40 Bridgestone RE11's all the way around.

With the brakes done, new wheels and new rubber the car looked terrific - but it was too high. As everyone knows, there is a multitude of different ways to lower the car and I, as I often do, chose the more expensive route. I install the KW V3 suspension system which gives you near infinite adjustment of ride height, as well as compression and rebound settings. In the pictures you will see the car at what I consider to be reasonable for a street car. Initially we had the car set 1” lower and while it looked and handled very well, it was impractical for the street. You simply wouldn’t be able to accommodate any speed bumps! But, the reason I say that we had it lower is to brag about the wheel/tire/offset set-up. In its current config and even up to 1” lower, there is no touching or rubbing. No trade-offs – other than those pesky speed bumps.

At about this time, those damn DDM folks (just kidding) had a sale on their backbone plate/brace combo kit and so I had to get this and put it on the car. Here’s a link to those parts; Solstice/Sky Brace Bundle
Finally, in finishing up the suspension, I put the largest GM OEM sway bars on…. I think they’re called the Z0K bars?

All of these brake and suspension mods were put onto the car at about 11,000 miles. Consider also that we put the closest resemblance possible to the GM Performance tune – but using the HP Tuners hardware to deliver the tune rather than having to schedule a dealer appearance. This was done with extreme care and caution. I have a LOT of experience with engine management tuning and there’s a lot of pitfalls – but the Solstice was done right and it is VERY strong and with no drama or abnormal behavior.

So, why selling? Well, I know it sound a little funny but not being a real rich man (otherwise I’d keep it), I either must sell it or really hack it up. Huh? I’ll explain. With all of these tasteful (I hope you’ll agree) mods, we did run a few sessions at our road course track and the Solstice is simply damn fast. Are there faster cars? There ALWAYS is. But for a near OEM car on street rubber, the Sol turned a LOT of heads out on the track. Quiet, composed, smooth…. and fast. One comparison is that it just smokes the similarly sized Spec Miatas. It handles nearly as well, brakes as well, but then just dusts them with its power to weight ratio. So, therein lies the problem…. We’d like to use this as an occasional HPDE car but we always want to be safe. And just like a seasoned motorcycle rider will always outfit himself for the worst case, the race car should also be outfitted. All of the Spec Miatas that we would just fly by were all fully caged. Fun and safe.

We came home from our HPDE experience, had a free weekend, and came dangerously close to starting to remove interior panels so we could have a roll cage fabricated. (Let’s face it, the coupe’s lid isn’t gonna offer much protection.) We can debate the price – but I’m pretty sure I can get North of $25K and maybe my asking price of $28K for the individual who appreciates what we have done. If we strip the interior and cage it, then I have a race car. A race car that when and if I try to sell it will be worth $10 - $12K. Lastly, while there are so few of these GXP Coupes out there – do I really want to do that, or maybe just start with a higher mileage, easier to find, roadster and modify that? I choose to let someone else enjoy this car.
Odds and ends: I am the second owner – having purchased the car sight unseen from a dealer who took it in on trade from the first owner. When it arrived to me, it had two things that I simply didn’t like. First, the front bumper was drilled for those plastic OEM rivets and the OEM lic plate bracket was mounted. Second, and more frustrating, was that there was some marks in the rear bumper where it looked like the screws from another cars front lic plate had scratched up the rear bumper. And then, the final straw was when a small rock flew up out of nowhere form a truck in front of me and this damn rock left a small mark in the hood. I like all of my toys to look like new, so I had all of these things repaired so the car simply looks pristine.
I have the original brake calipers, rotors, OEM springs and shocks, OEM wheels (NO curb rash anywhere). If a buyer prefers these OEM parts to be re-installed I have no problem to do that before delivery. The brakes and suspension is among the easiest I have ever worked with.

Thanks for reading this small novel. I’ve attached some pictures for your review. $28,000 will buy the car and all of the parts I’ve described. If I still have the car in a few weeks, I may consider to come down a little but I won’t be too receptive to creative offers in the short term.

And NO, that's not my garage - just a firend of mine who was storing the Sol for me!

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Nice looking car. I see the California plates. What town do you live in?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice Solstice Coupe. I have a 5 speed Cool GXPVCoupe with just under 15k miles on it. All stock with exception of the DDM "Holy Trinity" (Probeam, backbone brace, & venom brace).

The brake & wheel upgrade is sweet. That's all I would add to mine. Too bad you have to sell it. I love line!

Lar Bear

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good luck with the sale, you'll probably get close to your asking price.

Just wish the Coupes were selling at a reasonable rate of depreciation like the verts :(

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Sorry you have to let it go, but good luck on the sale. Silver is the best color for showing a vehicles body panels. You may want to add the number of 09 manuals, and the number of silver manuals to your ad. BTW, you mention larger caliper and rotors necessitated larger wheels, so what size are the tires & wheels?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the rims are an 8" (not much choice) and the car has 265/40-'s at each corner. I prefer square setups as it allows you to rotate them. The tires, like the rims and the suspension, are virtually new.

Nice coupe and looking for its next home!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I believe the rims are an 8" (not much choice) and the car has 265/40-'s at each corner. I prefer square setups as it allows you to rotate them. The tires, like the rims and the suspension, are virtually new.

The description says larger brakes and rotors required going to larger wheels so I thought that meant replacing the OEM 18s w/19s or 20s?

Hopefully someone will jump on this soon, nice mods, great color.

·
Registered
870 Posts

Very nice, always liked the color. I like the rims on it, and would guess they are actually 8.5" if the tires are actually 265 at each corner. The 40's series looks right, little less sidewall. I'd like to move to 40's with a new set of tires, though staying with 245 on the stock 8's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The description says larger brakes and rotors required going to larger wheels so I thought that meant replacing the OEM 18s w/19s or 20s?
Clearing the larger Brembo calipers in the front depends a lot on rim design and not just diameter. These Enkei rims are an 18x8 and yes, we have a 265/40 tire on them. I also have the perfect-condition OEM wheels and tires (9,600 miles on them) available with the sale of the car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK Guys.... limitied time to act if you want this Coupe at a great price. I need some garage space for some new projects and the Coupe will be gone at the remaninder of the week. We placed to OEM FE5 suspension back onto the car as well as the OEM brakes calipers and rotors - thus allowing the flawless OEM rims to be bolted on.

The net is that this is a very fine example of a 2009 Solstice Coupe GXP 5-speed with 12,500 miles and on stock rubber. Looking for a fast sell at $20,000 - but must occur this week or car will be wholesaled. Please PM me here if you are very serious. KW suspension, wheels, upgraded Brebmbo Brakes - calipers and rotors are all on Ebay so still a chance to work out a package deal if you are interested.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I wish I had an extra 20K.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I am now the owner of CoolTech's beautiful Cool GXP Coupe. i believe it was a mutually satisfactory transaction, and I am awaiting delivery of my Coupe.

I now will be able to fully participate in this forum as a Solstice owner.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You got a great car at a great price.

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
I am now the owner of CoolTech's beautiful Cool GXP Coupe. i believe it was a mutually satisfactory transaction, and I am awaiting delivery of my Coupe.

I now will be able to fully participate in this forum as a Solstice owner.
wow - nice...

Congrats

:party:

How is it getting from coast to coast ??

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
My Cool Coupe is on a truck tonight crossing the great divide.

I hope to see it next week sometime.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts