Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cables that open the tulip flaps are not working. When I pop the rear hatch they don't open. Cables are connected but have a lot of slack. I don't know if I have a blown fuse, can not find that listed as one of the fuses. Any ideals? Thanks Jamie

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
The cables that open the tulip flaps are not working. When I pop the rear hatch they don't open. Cables are connected but have a lot of slack. I don't know if I have a blown fuse, can not find that listed as one of the fuses. Any ideals? Thanks Jamie
If the trunk latch releases you do not have a blown fuse, since all three actuators get power from the same point. If both buttress solenoids have stopped working it is likely to be a loose wire since they are wired together.

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
I will look up the wire diagram and check the solenoid connection. Thanks
All the connections you need to check should be at the front bulkhead of the trunk. They are quite visible with the top folded down.

·
Premium Member
17,390 Posts
Welcome.

It would be helpful to clarify termonology. The two canvas flaps that latch into the trunk lid when the top is up are buttresses. The two flaps in the silver panel mounted behind the cockpit that rotate up when the top is rotated into the up position are flaps and that panel is the tulip panel.

Is your issue with the buttresses not opening or is it with the tulip panel flaps?

Assuming its the buttresses, the cable assembly is mounted to the forward wall of the trunk immediately behind the driver. The solenoids that operate the release cables are mounted on the cable assembly. If you trace the cables you will see that one goes to the trunk latch and another goes across the trunk and travels through the large flexible conduit that enters the trunk lid at the rear of the trunk. This cable travels into the trunk lid where it attaches to a Y cable. The Y cable then provides the motion to the two buttress latches. Either the solenoid that provides the motion that releases the latches has failed or become disconnected, or alternatively the part the connects the Y cable to the buttress cable may have failed.
Check to see if the buttress release solenoid is being activated. if it is, then follow the cable into the trunk lid and find the joint between the Y cable and the buttress cable. You can observe the cable and determine if its moving like it should. Its also remotely possible that BOTH the latch plastic connectors have failed. If the solenoid is working and the cables are doing their job, then the problem is likely to be at the latches. These are notorious for failing but I have not seen both fail at the same time. It is possible but I have not seen it in my 14 years here.

Let us know what you find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts