Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,
my softtop is leaking, back window came out, i guess the glue just gave up the ghost, ive seen refrigerator stickers with a better seal! now its been leaking water into the passenger cabin for several weeks
was easy to dry and didnt think it was a big deal so didnt immediately fix
now i have an ecs warning on the dic when i start and the button on dash no longer works
methinks the water got into an electrical component, only floors were really wet? any tips what got soaked?
seems like a bad place to put components....
also after several comical fails trying to glue the back window in myself i checked the cost of new top (ouch!)
any tips on fixing back window?

· Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,626 Posts
There are some “trenches” in the floor pans and the carpet in the car has some thick foam that fills the trenches so the carpet is flat on the surface. I can see water definitely gathering there if you had some entering the cabin.
The BCM is mounted on the cockpit side of the firewall on the passenger side and there have been reports of flood cars getting damage to the BCM. I believe that would be a significant amount of water to get to the BCM though.
Outside of that you do have the yaw sensor mounted to the floor well under the passenger seat and the wires running to the seatbelt sensors, drivers side seat motor (if your car has one) and the PPS sensor in the passenger seat.
Apologies as the inly photo i have is after a kilmat install so a little hard to see the tranches in the floor pans i mentioned.
I would pull the seats and carpet to make sure the carpet underside is dry and not building ip mold or mildew…
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are some “trenches” in the floor pans and the carpet in the car has some thick foam that fills the trenches so the carpet is flat on the surface. I can see water definitely gathering there if you had some entering the cabin.
The BCM is mounted on the cockpit side of the firewall on the passenger side and there have been reports of flood cars getting damage to the BCM. I believe that would be a significant amount of water to get to the BCM though.
Outside of that you do have the yaw sensor mounted to the floor well under the passenger seat and the wires running to the seatbelt sensors, drivers side seat motor (if your car has one) and the PPS sensor in the passenger seat.
Apologies as the inly photo i have is after a kilmat install so a little hard to see the tranches in the floor pans i mentioned.
I would pull the seats and carpet to make sure the carpet underside is dry and not building ip mold or mildew…
View attachment 125994
ok thats definitely a place to start! i will get under the seat pronto, so this yaw sensor will cause the ecu warning traction inop? i have manual seats, no motors, i will get down in there and see if anything is corroded, i didnt think there was very much water, just those soggy carpets so hopefully no BCM module dmg
many thanks!

ps: i think the top is so hard to fix since the window is very heavy glass, is there a glue that will hold it? or should i just change out the top

· Premium Member
19,788 Posts
I have to say, anyone that would leave the top leaking for weeks is probably not on top of normal maintenance.
FIX the FREAKING window.

Here is the fix with PICTURES.

the adhesive is available on Amazon
GM's recomendation is 3M Windo-Weld 08609, which comes in a 10 oz. tube.

Punisher | Page 156 | Pontiac Solstice Forum

· Premium Member
19,788 Posts
All better now.

The issue you describe has been known to occur with a failing battery. When you get spurous codes, the first recommendation is load test the battery and inspect the cables and grounds. They are notorious for causing intermittent issues as you describe.

The BCM is the heart of the electrical system in the passenger's foot well. If that got wet, you are probably in for a long and difficult time. s

· Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,626 Posts
I dont think the issue is the Yaw sensor, i was just mentioning a list of electrical items that are on the floorboard to my recollection.
I certainly hope it is not as that is one of the hardest parts to find, if i am remembering previous discussions on that topic correctly.

additionally if the leak was in the rear of the cabil you would need a pretty significant amount of water to have come in from the window for it to reach the BCM.
I do recommend pulling the carpet and making sure it is not damp and becoming a breeding ground for bad smells though.there is no drain in the floor pan and as i mentioned the underside of the carpet is lined with what are effectively sponges so especially on this car it is a good thing to check.
You may want to do some reading on removing some of the interior parts as most will need to come out. At least the rear waterfall back plastic panel can stay. Dont think you “have” to remove it for the carpet. Center console, door sills, dead pedal (it has 2 hard to see screws on it so don't try to yank it out).
Either way good luck. Hope this turns out to be a battery as that would be an easier fix.

· Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,855 Posts
the YAW sensor probably got wet. It is under the passenger seat attached to the floor. It is only used by the ECS so if it's not functioning your ECS is no longer going to work.

I am pretty sure that is what your problem is going to be.

Reactions: HHGadget

· Premium Member
19,788 Posts
With the information available it is impossible to tell what got wet and what damage might have occurred.

Check the easy things first. The battery and DC supply

Inspect the interior to see if there is any sign of water. Then figure out a path forward.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Premium Member
19,788 Posts
the key is the suction cup clamps. T hey make the whole job much easier. Good luck! Hope it goes well for you.

· Registered
1,954 Posts
All better now.

The issue you describe has been known to occur with a failing battery. When you get spurous codes, the first recommendation is load test the battery and inspect the cables and grounds. They are notorious for causing intermittent issues as you describe.

The BCM is the heart of the electrical system in the passenger's foot well. If that got wet, you are probably in for a long and difficult time. s
how "failed/failing" does a battery have to be before it causes problems?

Bill

· Premium Member
19,788 Posts
In our Sky, I keep the battery on a tender when not running. We got the warnings toward the beginning of the season and the battery went flat the next year. So it depends but in our case the car started and ran for several months as it slowly failed then just went Tango Uniform. Even when it refused to start the car I KNEW it was still good! Load tested bad.

· Registered
7,012 Posts
lol - Tango Uniform.

Bought a '17 Explorer new. After 3 years of ownership it was at the dealer for a minor recall. I thought it was turning over slow when I started it with the remote. Made a beer stop on the way home and it definitely started slow. Parked it in the driveway when I got home. Went to pull it into the garage a couple hours later and it wouldn't crank at all.

It's amazing how quickly a battery can die.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts