Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ready to install the Kenwood DNX691HD head unit.. (the camera was an ordeal...)

the installation instructions for the AXXESS Lan04 interface talk about connections to a continuous 12volt power and a switched 12Volt source and i'll be darned if i can find anything in the existing 2 OEM radio plugs for anything but a single continuous power red/white stripe wired pin, but no switched power wire/pin. how does the OEM radio operate without switched power?

i can pick a 12volt continuous from the cigarette lighter and a 12volt switched from the fan or diverter door switches above the radio if i have to. hopefully the additional radio amperage draw won't be more than the above switches can handle.

i have saved and printed the2006 radio wiring schematic drawings that someone posted here once upon a time, but I REALLY would like to have, at a minimum, a set of dash wiring schematics, or a full set of vehicle schematics. can someone please help???

Bill

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Go to AutoZone's site. Create a membership (free) and go to the maintenance section for your car. You'll find the schematics all there.

The radio DOES only use 'always on' power (remember, it generates the chimes - like door open, etc - even when the ignition is off!) You can use a fuse tap from the passenger footwell fuse box. The fuses in the mid-right area are switched IIRC.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Go to AutoZone's site. Create a membership (free) and go to the maintenance section for your car. You'll find the schematics all there.

The radio DOES only use 'always on' power (remember, it generates the chimes - like door open, etc - even when the ignition is off!) You can use a fuse tap from the passenger footwell fuse box. The fuses in the mid-right area are switched IIRC.
believe it or not, but i registered and then went to the repair data section and they said they didn't have info on a 2009 solstice...; got a 6, 7, 8. :(
Bill

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the radio changeout is going slowly; it's fighting us every step: first was taking apart the dash... scary when plastic parts make popping noises..., then there was tying the camera power into the backup light, then running camera/power wires to inside of car (lost the license light pigtail for about 2 hours...), then fishing the camera coax to front, then creating a switched 12V circuit using a relay to the BCM, now we are still trying to figure out AXXESS's & Kenwood's installation instructions... about clear as mud.... extra wires everywhere...

and then there was the fuel pump changeout.....

i appreciate the help forum members have given, too bad i couldn't use your hands too...
Bill

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
believe it or not, but i registered and then went to the repair data section and they said they didn't have info on a 2009 solstice...; got a 6, 7, 8. :(
Bill
Sorry, I was out of town - so didn't see your reply. The 08's and 09's are the same (so are the 07's for that matter, and the 06's are only slightly different, but the same for the radio).

then creating a switched 12V circuit using a relay to the BCM
Why make things more complicated for yourself? Why didn't you just use a 12V ACC-powered fuse location like I said earlier?

This is where I tapped (Black/yellow wire with blue heatshrink on right):

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I was out of town - so didn't see your reply. The 08's and 09's are the same (so are the 07's for that matter, and the 06's are only slightly different, but the same for the radio).

Why make things more complicated for yourself? Why didn't you just use a 12V ACC-powered fuse location like I said earlier?

This is where I tapped (Black/yellow wire with blue heatshrink on right):

thank you for the picture. we kinda sorta did that except we weren't sure what the current draw was going to be, so we took the conservative approach with a relay...
Bill

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
thank you for the picture. we kinda sorta did that except we weren't sure what the current draw was going to be, so we took the conservative approach with a relay...
Bill
Ahh, I see. Well you needn't have worried. Radios take all their power from the "always on" supply. They only use the switched supply as a signal.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
another delay :(, i have either misplaced, or didn't get, the 2 wire pigtail (4 pin plug) that connects to the radio to provide the reverse signal to turn on the radio's rearview camera display... and i cross my fingers that the camera actually works....

next 'opportunity' will be whether the steering wheel controls (AXXESS AWSC-1) self-program or we will have to manually set it/them.

again...

thank you
Bill

BTW, AXXESS uses a relay to act as a 'clicker' for the turn signals sounds, sounds kind of 'quiet'...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts