Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thank you for waiting patiently, or at least for waiting.

Wednesday, 26 September we will be in Lexington.
We have a block of 10 rooms reserved at the Comfort Suites until 12 September.
Rates are $105.00 for a King, and $99.00 for two Queens and the group name is OKISS.
The motel phone number is 859-296-4446, and the address is 3060 Fieldstone Way.
Practically next door are a Hampton Inn and a Marriott Courtyard if you prefer one of those.

Thursday, 27 September we will be in Louisville.
I am staying at the Comfort Inn Louisville East, but so far the best group rate they have offered is
more than the basic internet rate. The direct number for the motel is 502-266-6509, or you can reserve through the internet. In close proximity are: Sleep Inn, Super 8, Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Country Inn,
Microtel, Jameson Inn, Wingate by Wyndham, Homestead Studio, and Fairfield Inn if you prefer one of those.

Friday and Saturday, 28 and 29 September we will be back in Lexington.
We have a block of 10 rooms reserved at the Comfort Suites until 14 September.
Single rates are $105.00 for a King or for two Queens.
Double rates are $119.00 for a King and $125 for two Queens and the group name is OKISS.
The motel phone number is 859-296-4446, and the address is 3060 Fieldstone Way.
Practically next door are a Hampton Inn and a Marriott Courtyard if you prefer one of those.

The schedule is:

Wednesday, 26 September is open, depending on who comes in and when they get here. Basically it is an arrival day.

Thursday, 27 September we will leave the motel parking lot at 8, to arrive at the Independent Stave Cooperage for a 9:30 tour. Closed shoes are required for the tour, and no pictures are allowed while in the facility. From the cooperage we will drive to Bardstown to tour Barton's 1792 distillery at 11:00, and from there we will go to downtown Bardstown to eat lunch and then tour the Oscar Getz Whisky Museum. Given the time and inclination we can visit some of the shops. From there we will drive to Louisville. Dinner will be at the Bluegrass Brewing Company.

EDIT: There is an event going on with the Trail that will cause a lot of traffic congestion, so I am switching Friday and Saturday's tours. Motels stay the same, and I will post exact times and destinations as soon as I finish the maps.

Sunday, 30 September those who are so inclined will leave the motel at 11:30 to tour Buffalo Trace at 1:00.

Note that all of the distilleries on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail will be visited on Friday and Saturday. Thursday and Sunday are not needed to complete your passport and qualify for your tee-shirt.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
This has and always will be one of my favorite places to go and favorite weekend of running through Blue Grass country.....I however start a new job in a new state this month...so that being said....WHAAA we cant come.....If you have never been to Kentucky, this IS the weekend to come and see great country vista's, and run the twisties with a bunch of great Kappa people. You all will have a great time that is 100% for sure.

Next year will be a different story...Have fun everyone and I look forward to pictures.

Chili

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck with the new job and the new state Chili, I hope to see you in October.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bourbon Trail

John: I'm in for Saturday and Sunday. Give me the Saturday location and time, and my wife and I will be there.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I really want to go to this, but I'll be in Iowa that weekend. So I can't go. I wish I could make it down for even 1 day though. Beautiful country and the bourbon ain't bad either!

Good luck John! You're events are always great and well planned! And your roads are awesome!

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Iowa, Aruba, new jobs .... you guys have got to get your priorities straight.

CavOfficer, we'll be leaving Lexington at 8AM to get to Jim Beam for the 9:30 tour. You can meet us at either end, or somewhere in between. Our route will probably be the Bluegrass Parkway to Bardstown, then up to Clermont. It will be great to meet you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi John !
Just wanted to let you know that Ron and I will be going on the Bourbon Tour Thursday,Friday and Saturday.Bob and Ann will be attending those 3 days also. We are leaving around 6:00 a.m. from Dayton on Thursday morning .Will try to meet you at Independent Stave Cooperage at 9:30-but if we don't make it we will catch up with the group @ Blanton's distillery. Enjoy your week-end and see you on the 27th.
Lynne

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Lynne. I hope you make it to the cooperage, as that looks like it may be the most unique thing we will see.

Remember that closed shoes are required for that tour.

·
Registered
42 Posts
GA Redcar

We are thinking about this trip, sounds like fun. I to have started a new job so time off is tough but thinking bout late ride there Friday to go on runs Saturday and Sunday. Let you know,:cool: :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope you can make it. It is always nice to meet new people.

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here is the "official" itinerary for the tour:

Thursday, unless someone posts to say they will be joining me in Lexington, I am leaving from home. The plan is to be at the Cooperage in Lebanon for the 9:30 tour. Remember that closed shoes are required for the tour, and no pictures are allowed while in the facility. From the cooperage we will drive to Bardstown to tour Barton's 1792 distillery at 11:00, and from there we will go to downtown Bardstown to eat lunch and then tour the Oscar Getz Whisky Museum. Given the time and inclination we can visit some of the shops. From there we will drive to Louisville. Dinner will be at the Bluegrass Brewing Company.

Friday morning we will leave the Comfort Inn Louisville East at 8:00 to arrive at Four Roses Distillery for their 9:00 tour. We will leave there and head to Wild Turkey for their 10:30 tour. There is a "quaint" little barbeque restaurant nearby for lunch, after which we will go to Woodford Reserve for a tour at 2:00. From there we will take the scenic route to the Lexington Comfort Inn.

Saturday morning we will leave the Lexington Comfort Inn at 8:00 to arrive at Jim Beam for their 9:30 tour. We will leave there and head for Heaven Hill for their 12:40 tour. We will eat lunch on the way to Maker's Mark for their 2:30 tour. From there we have a scenic drive back to Lexington.

The tours are free except for Heaven Hill ($5.00), Maker's Mark ($7.00) and Woodford Reserve ($7.00).

Thursday and Friday I have made plans for four cars (HoosierGXP, Red Dog, Dog Tale, and me) and eight people.

Saturday I have made plans for eight cars (HoosierGXP, Red Dog, Dog Tale, Cav Officer, Donsredcar, Monadzback, Tonyredline, and me) and fifteen people.

The only definite activity Sunday is Buffalo Trace, and I am planning for six cars and twelve people.

If you know of any changes, please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of my information was incorrect, see the correction below:

The tours are free except for Heaven Hill ($5.00), Maker's Mark ($7.00) and Woodford Reserve ($7.00).

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone who came in for the tour. I for one had a great time. It was good to see old friends and to meet new ones. I hope that those who had to leave early made it home OK and are feeling better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for putting this together John! Wife and I had a great time. Nice meeting you all, and thanks for having us.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was not able to attend. What were the 2 best tours? Has Jim Beam finished their upgraded tour? I was there 2 years ago and 4 years ago and both times they said their 'new' tour was going to be finished next year. It is my poison of choice, but by far the most pathetic tour I have been on in this country. jameson was worse, but overseas.

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
juspimpin: I was not able to attend. What were the 2 best tours? Has Jim Beam finished their upgraded tour? I was there 2 years ago and 4 years ago and both times they said their 'new' tour was going to be finished next year. It is my poison of choice, but by far the most pathetic tour I have been on in this country. jameson was worse, but overseas.
Difficult question to answer. I am assuming that you have one day to devote to bourbon, which is why you asked for the two best tours. The two best tours may not help you, as they are the farthest from you. Woodford Reserve is the best tour (and the best bourbon), and Buffalo Trace is second.

My advice to you is to visit three places, and you will easily be able to do them in one day.

1) The Independent Stave Cooperage in Lebanon is a must-see, and a great tour, if you can go on a week day. They tour at 9:30 and 1:00, and watching a barrel get built is very cool.

2) Barton's 1792 Distillery in Bardstown is my favorite of the "Western" tours.

3) The Oscar Getz Whiskey Museum in Bardstown is very interesting, with lots of historic stuff.

While you are in Bardstown, walk down to the Old Talbot Inn for lunch.

I haven't done the Jim Beam tour. We did the self-guided walk-around, and it wasn't very impressive.

We enjoyed Maker's Mark in Loretto. They will let you dip your own bottle in the gift shop.

The Willett Distillery is outside of Bardstown and is on my list to visit the next time I am out there. I know nothing about it, however.

Limestone Branch Distillery is outside of Lebanon and is pretty interesting in that it is basically a couple of guys with a moonshine still. Their Blackberry 'Shine is pretty tasty.

If you have a choice, go on a week day. The bottling lines rarely run on weekends, and high-speed bottling is pretty impressive.

Have fun, and let me know where you go and what you think about it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
good info, thanks.

I hope to get there next week for a tour or 2. I have only been to Makers, Haven Hill, and Jim.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts