Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having run the entire entry list for all classes through a search, there are only 3 Solstices entered in the runoffs this year.

William Moore has his Solstice GXP entered in the T2 class, Rob Huffmaster and Charles Tobel have Solstice GXPs entered into the STU class.

T2 class race is 9:30AM EDT, Sunday 9/23. STU race is 10:30AM EDT, Sunday 9/23

Both races will be televised in the internet, SpeedcastTV.

For some reason, I'm not holding my breath for a Solstice victory this year . . .

edit: http://www.speedcasttv.com/scca/

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
update

EDIT: Corrected the times of the races, they are in Central zone, not Eastern.

T2 - Don Knowles has moved from his Solstice GXP into a Ford Mustang GT, still prepared by the Aquilantes of Phoenix Performance. Don is qualified 1st in T2 for tomorrow's race. The lonely Solstice GXP in the race, driven by Bill Moore, is qualified 7th on the grid. Bill's Solstice is sponsored and tuned by Dave Gilbert of Performance AutoWerks, who is also a sponsor of this forum. Dave tells me that Bill is having a very tough job trying to run with the 400 HP Mustangs (4 of them are ahead of Bill on the Grid).

Good luck Bill, a bunch of us will be cheering for you. T2 class race is 9:30AM CDT, Sunday 9/23. SpeedcastTV

STU - New to the Solstice GXP this year is Rob Huffmaster, who is qualified on the pole, with a track record, 2.7 seconds ahead of 2nd place. Also running a Solstice GXP is Charles Tobel, who is qualified 6th on the grid, 5.745 seconds behind Rob.

STU race is 10:30AM CDT, Sunday 9/23. SpeedcastTV

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T2 - Don Knowles ran away and hid in his Phoenix Performance Ford Mustang GT. Bill Moore started 10th, finished 9th in the Performance AutoWerks Solstice GXP. With the addition of the Mustang GT into this class last year, the Solstice isn't really competitive at Road America, which favors horsepower and good brakes. The Solstice GXP is down on horsepower to a bunch of the other cars in this class and there isn't much left of the brakes at RA by the end of the race. This class has changed a lot in the past couple of years.

STU - Rob Huffmaster ran away and hid in his Pontiac Solstice GXP, a very well prepared race car. He stretched out a 5 second lead in the first 2 laps and then slowed a bit to hold and maintain the lead and finished the 13 lap race with an almost 11 second margin. Charles Tobel started 6th in a GXP and finished 5th.

Congratulations to Rob, your GXP is awesome!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best quote from one of the announcers on the SCCA Runoffs broadcast during the last race: "Squealing tires are happy tires!", bringing a long weekend of 24 races to an end.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2012 Runoffs

Howdy to all my Solstice Forum friends.

Yes, I did run a Mustang at the runoffs this year, and was fortunate to win.

After winning in 2009 (being fortunate with a car problem on the Evo and the resulting impact on Jason Ott's BMW), I ran a Solstice in 2010 and 2011, and it was clear to me that the Solstice had not been given the competition adjustments needed to remain competitive. We were given additional weight and had to run an air intake restrictor to limit power. I had asked for bigger brakes in 2010 and we were denied in 2010 but were granted them for the 2011 Runoffs. By the way, the 2011 Runoffs was a rain race, and so Marty Grand was able to win again in his all wheel drive Evo.

I asked the SCCA to remove the Solstice weight and power restrictor, but the request was denied.

So, in order to win, the Mustang was chosen. As someone once said, horses for courses. As long as the Runoffs are held at Road America, the Solstice is, sadly, not competitive.

With the Mustang, I was able to qualify on the pole and had the fourth fastest race lap, after the Camaro, the Evo, and the 996 Porsche.

All of the SCCA Touring classes are under review and I suspect major changes are in store for next year, so who knows what the future holds.

In the meantime, the Solstice is a great car and it may have a future in the STU class.

Thanks to all for the kind comments over the years.

don

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Don!

Thanks for visiting and the explanation. RA has always been a horsepower track, and it's hard to deny all those ponies in the Fords. Thanks for staying with the Solstice for as long as you did!

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
I second that, thanks Don.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts