Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having run the entire entry list for all classes through a search, there are only 2 Solstices entered in the runoffs this year.

Rob Huffmaster and Charles Tobel have Solstice GXPs entered into the STU class. Rob won STU last year in the Solstice GXP, pulling away from the field the entire race.

The STU race is 8:45AM CDT, Friday 9/20

The race will be televised on the internet, SpeedcastTV

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure hope Rob can REPEAT!!!!
I'll have to follow qualifying next week. He's very fast, and really smooth, and consistent.

If you get a chance, watch last years race at the link in my message. If I recall right, the cameras followed him for the first couple of laps, and then ignored him as he was running all by himself at the front of the field, way in front of the rest of the cars.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
That was some seriously good racing last year. The move that Ray's dad put on the Miata at the end was spectacular. I think the reason why the Miata spun was because when the RX8 came across his nose mid-corner, it took all the air off the Miata and it slipped right across the track. Pretty sweet move.

I'm surprised not to see more people racing Solstices/Skys. I know that the main reason is that there are so many Miatas available to turn into gocarts and they are dirt cheap, but I'm surprised that more people haven't tried to pursue the Solstice/Sky as an option given its proven track record of success right out of the gate.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm surprised not to see more people racing Solstices/Skys. I know that the main reason is that there are so many Miatas available to turn into gocarts and they are dirt cheap, but I'm surprised that more people haven't tried to pursue the Solstice/Sky as an option given its proven track record of success right out of the gate.
The real problem in both T2 and SSB is the Road America track, with 3 long straights. It is a horsepower and braking track, and, as such, has always been a favorite of the cars with lots of horsepwer AND really good brakes. In T2, the Mustang GT just powers away, and the Solstices have no brakes left with several laps still to go. In SSB, the Solstices were down on power and brakes and is just not competitive at all.

STU fits the Solstice GXP pretty well, as the Brembo brakes from the Cobalt are allowed, as are pretty aggressive tunes. The weight penalties of the other classes are pretty non-existant here as well. There are lots of different cars that are appropriate for this class and that do well.

With the runoffs being at 3 different track in the coming years, Laguna Seca, Daytona, and Mid-Ohio, I would suspect that competitors will be tailoring their ride to the track. Who knows? I'm just a dedicated spectator.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here's a nice write-up on the STU class. Looks like the Solstice again: “I might have something over Joel Weinberger and his Audi, but I don't know about the Solstice. They didn't do anything to rein in the Solstice, so I don't know what to think,” Hoover says.

Who Will Win the SCCA National Championship Runoffs? Part 1 - Racer.com

Check out the nice wing out back and the splitter up front.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His Dad, Ray, will be driving the Solstice this year.

Bob
That's what appears to be happening.

STL: In yesterday's first day of qualifying, Rob was on the provisional pole in STL in the Mazda RX8, Ray did not run and posted no time, Ray is also entered in STL in a Mazda RX8.

STU: Charles Tobel qualified 5th in his Solstice GXP. Ray Huffmaster did not run and posted no time in the Solstice GXP.

Weather has closed in on Road America today, and it is raining, at times quite hard. It is expected to be raining tomorrow also. So yesterday's qualifying times are likely to determine the starting grid positions, at least for the front 1/2 of the grid.

Qualifying today in STU/STL is at 4:10PM CDT. Qualifying tomorrow is at 9:00AM CDT Live Timing available @ SCCA LIVE!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The STU/STL qualifying was just flagged, and per SCCA tweet:

SCCA Inc. @sccalive said:
No improvements at the top of STL or STU today. The rain has stopped, but the humidity is high. #Runoffs
Rob is still the fastest in STL. Ray still hasn't been on the track, or at least isn't showing up in any of the results. Charles Tobel in a Pontiac Solstice was still 4th or 5th in STU.

When the qualifying results are posted later I'll update this post if there are any official changes.

Tomorrow's qualififying session at 9:00 AM CDT at SCCA LIVE!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rain again this morning, if the driver's went out, they only did a couple of laps before the track was closed 'til the lightning and thunderstorm show passed by the track.

For some reason, Charles Tobel's first day qualifying results were nullified, and he ended up 8th on the grid, down 2 from where he qualified on Tuesday. Ray Huffmaster still hasn't turned a lap, and I don't know the story.

Attached is the provisional qualifying results for all three days in STU.

The race is 8:45AM CDT tomorrow, live timing will be at SCCA LIVE! and the race will be broadcast live on SpeedcastTV.

Keep your fingers crossed, but unless a miracle happens, I suspect that the STU Champion decals are going to have to be removed soon :brentil:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Rather than do that just add the winning years to the decal.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
When Don won the SCCA T2 in 2007 and 2008 that is what the decals that were made said.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.