Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please keep discussions regarding the location of the 2014 North American Solstice and Sky Meet in this thread. Thanks you.

I know there are a bunch of members here who don't do Facebook, but the discussion has started alread over there. For those of you who do use facebook, the discussion is at https://www.facebook.com/groups/256485034465790/

Here is the list of locations by year:

2006 - Kansas City
2007 - Nashville
2008 - Las Vegas
2009 - Denver
2010 - Canton
2011 - Austin
2012 - Asheville
2013 - Flagstaff
2014 - ?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far areas mentioned are the NE, Michigan, Missouri/Northern Arkansas.

MomsSol and I have pretty much ruled out the Dells at this time of year.

All the other areas mentioned have good cohesive groups of enthusiasts capable of pulling off an event.

Let 'er rip, folks.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Lots of posts over the Facebook page.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Lots of posts over the Facebook page.
There are many members here and on other forums that do not frequent Facebook. Plus, not all the posts seem to be visible so copying the information over to the forums is not a viable option either.

For those not on Facebook...right now it is still mostly just people saying where they would like to see the event held. The MASSC I think (can't see all the posts) is considering possible options, but nothing has been settled yet.

If you want to be heard or want to volunteer something in your area but do not have a Facebbok account ....post it here for discussion as most on FB are also members here as well.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Thanks Mom

I was on FB but when employers started doing searches of FB to find negative info it got to be a problem. Now some are requiring people to report some types of contact and it's clear that it's a lot better to forgoe it all together

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Thanks Mom

I was on FB but when employers started doing searches of FB to find negative info it got to be a problem. Now some are requiring people to report some types of contact and it's clear that it's a lot better to forgoe it all together
Your welcome Rob, however...I do believe that most of the preliminary discussion may occur on FB. Some of us will try to disperse information as we can. Seems the current discussion is that there does need to be more inclusiveness of all venues of communications to cover as many owners as possible...there are owners on FB that are not on the forums just as there are forum members not on FB.

Hopefully, if there is someone on the forums but not on FB who would like to "throw their hat in the ring" and volunteer a location, that info can be posted for them on FB.

It is my understanding that right now the may be a couple of groups in the Northeast quadrant looking into possibilities. Nothing yet has been decided...plenty of time for that.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Dear New England,
Please get this strung together.

Hugs and Kisses,

The SWSC Bucket List Cruisers ;)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hello, well if youre thinking about the New England area, how about at Watkins Glen it self. would be cool to go around that race track. Maybe in conjuction with an ongoing schueduled event. the six hour race Nascar, etc
Watkins Glen International - Watkins Glen International

OR
at Mid Ohio race track with another event say Indy Car.
or a driving school there. Possibly could have a area set aside for our gathering.

OR
at the Indy track at Indianapolis,great muesum (sp) and good hotels.
www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
1KulSol offered my services as the administrator on Facebook for the 2014 discussion.

I brought up the possibility of hosting the 2014 Nationals in our region since we have active members in NJ, NY, PA, DE and MD who may be willing to assist in the planning of this event.

The New England club (Kronus) also expressed a willingness to assist.

At this point, there are two locations that are under consideration - one is in the New York State Catskills region near Cooperstown and Cobleskill. The National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown is a major attraction and there are other local attractions not to mention wineries, breweries and the Woodstock museum in Bethel. Watkins Glen is within a two hour drive from the proposed hotel area.

The other area of consideration is above Harrisburg, PA.
Hershey's Park, Carlisle's GM Nationals and Gettsburg are a draw for that locality.

That about sums it up for the time being.

oh - there was a suggestion made that we go back to our roots for the 10th anniversary in 2015 by hosting the event in the middle of the country.

Also, if anyone is on FB and hasn't yet friended me, please feel free do so - this way the posts will be viewable to you.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Thank you for the update Solli! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
You're welcome Kathy.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Its also worth noting, that the FB conversation just began the other day - like 2 days ago I think. This new FB group just popped up and people began talking - its has not been an ongoing discussion for weeks and weeks that is now just coming to light be rather a very natural conversation that launched and immediately took off holistically.

I do not believe anyone's intent is to do this "behind closed doors" or in a way that excludes anyone, but rather its no different then a conversation that began at one table at a say buffet dinner that people on the other side of the room were not part of.

As history shows us, in the absence of any governance body the location of NASSAM will be determined by a simple reality, who is the first location, with a critical mass of people willing to invest the time and effort that steps up and says - we will do it next unless there is major objection. After all isn't that exactly how Austin, Asheville, and Flagstaff occurred?

Some of us will do our very best to relay any major discussion points that we see in FB over to the various forums. Input from here and the other major forums are also part of the conversation - again no different than my all in one room but several different conversations analogy !

The more input the better is my thinking!

·
Super Moderator
7,541 Posts
First I will say that I am enthusiastically in favor of New York as a National location.

While I am vigorously opposed to this type of discussion happening on FB it has nothing to do with any kind of "behind closed doors" paranoia. My concern is that discussions that happen there detract from participation in the forum, and the forum is a far more valuable resource than FB is ever likely to be. If the forum dies, its archive of knowledge dies with it. Discussions about the location of the next National are of insignificant value compared to the wealth of information about mods, repairs, and the other things I need to keep my car running.

·
1,492 Posts
2014 discussion thread

Not to worry KY :willy: , ripple is correct in previous post :yesnod: .

This BB like each of the other forums (Sky, Performance, BBQ , & FB) serves a purpose. We use each to celebrate different aspects about our cars and friends we've made on this forum, at local club runs, at Regionals, and at NASSM's.

Keep the 2014 discussions going, it keeps our community alive! :grouphug:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
First I will say that I am enthusiastically in favor of New York as a National location.

While I am vigorously opposed to this type of discussion happening on FB it has nothing to do with any kind of "behind closed doors" paranoia. My concern is that discussions that happen there detract from participation in the forum, and the forum is a far more valuable resource than FB is ever likely to be. If the forum dies, its archive of knowledge dies with it. Discussions about the location of the next National are of insignificant value compared to the wealth of information about mods, repairs, and the other things I need to keep my car running.
This is a very valid point JRinKY, without question this forum (and the sister forums) is the history of our community and in many cases the collective knowledge base of the community as a whole. For it to continue it needs to be a vibrant and active forum or the owners no longer will continue to host and support it.

Point well taken.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
I heartily agree with both of you. FB has its purpose but the forums are a wealth of information where we can easily reference information as we need.

It's simple to join FB to partake in a discussion. There's no need to maintain your page, add photos or get involved with the buggy apps. You can set your privacy settings to whatever makes you comfortable. You will need to add friends to your list if you want to read what they're posting.

JRinKY, look at the info around my avatar - I'm a lifer! :lol:

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I don't go to FB to get serious information, I go there to catch up on what my friends are doing day to day. It's also a way to keep in touch long distance with family who have nothing to do with KAPPAs.
FB is not even close to what these forums are, this is a community of like minded people that enjoy helping each other out.
To say that FB would/could replace the forum is absurd...it's like comparing apples and oranges!
I was on FB long before I found the Solstice/Sky/KAPPA forums and that didn't stop me from becoming a lifetime member and enjoying the comments of most that reside here.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I don't go to FB to get serious information, I go there to catch up on what my friends are doing day to day. It's also a way to keep in touch long distance with family who have nothing to do with KAPPAs.
FB is not even close to what these forums are, this is a community of like minded people that enjoy helping each other out.
To say that FB would/could replace the forum is absurd...it's like comparing apples and oranges!
I was on FB long before I found the Solstice/Sky/KAPPA forums and that didn't stop me from becoming a lifetime member and enjoying the comments of most that reside here.
It has been said many times that no one is proposing or advocating facebook replace the forums, it just happens that a group of people, who consider themselves friends broke out into a conversation on facebook. Which is really no different then a conversation that breaks out on one side of a room in a crowded room, those close to that conversation hear it and some on the other side might not hear it first hand, but later hear others retell what they heard.

But again this thread is not to discuss the value of FB verse forums but to gather input and discussion on potential locations for 2014 NASSM.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts