Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Us Michiganders, along w/many other states, are currently in the middle of our second Polar Vortex freeze (though not as cold as the first). And I have come to the realization that Mother Nature is being a complete & total selfish *itch! :cuss:

I've literally look @ thousands of Kappa pictures & YT Kappa videos the last several weeks to help ease my Kappa winter withdrawal symptoms to no avail. About the only thing I can do is go out in the garage and stare at car covers, and check the battery tenders before running out of the cold garage and back to the warmth of our house.

OK, this is the part where southerners get too :lol::lol::lol: at all us northern saps. :brentil:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,617 Posts
I don't think I'd mind it so much if it was just this Polar Vortex stuff, but it's the 1 to 2 inches of snow every other day that is getting to me. It's too cold to spent enough time getting rid of the snow, and just not quite enough snow to make it worth blowing it away.

We haven't had a winter like this in quite a while . . . :brentil::willy:

I am glad I live where we have natural gas for heating, unlike the north woods where there is a propane shortage.

·
Premium Member
18,482 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Chop Top I feel your pain sitting here in northern Ohio and it's like 5 degrees out even the dogs go out and come right back in! The good part is that I sit in the sunroom and get some quality reading time in and I'll run some Woodward Dream Cruise videos and think of the upcoming summer .The only good thing to come out of all this is that it makes me appreciate the warm weather gives me a chance to do improvements on the car .

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's the first winter in many years that the family has had a dose of cabin fervor where going outside actually feels good.

I just looked, 3-6" more snow this weekend, wind chill today is down to -20ish and all next week is going to be in the single digits.

I actually read that the global warming group is now saying that the extreme cold temps are due to the heating causing extreme temp fluctuations.

They think of everything!

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Have a computer "kill-fest" this weekend at the chicken coop. About 8 computers networked up to shoot and blow each other up. (We've had as many as 21 at my largest gathering.) I'll make for a busier than usual event with the 2-4 inches of snow tonight, another 2 tomorrow and 4 more on Sunday requiring snow plowing by me before and during the event.

Filled up the kerosene can yesterday because after this event there's nothing on the schedule until spring. That means I'll be running the heater in the garage and finishing the paint detailing on the Solstice. Then it's doing a complete detail inside, trunk, underhood, wheel wells and wheels.

I'll be soaking the downstream O2 sensor daily with PB to soften it up so I can swap that out. By mid-Feb I expect my puddle lights to be ready for install. Possible get the Kudda holder and/or illuminated sills from WR installed before "drive time".

So I feel ya man. Sipping a beer, checking out the car, trying to ignore the snow outside the windows. Plowing and/or blowing snow. Coming back into the garage to thaw out. Checking out the car. Repeat.

·
Registered
347 Posts
DATELINE DETROIT--------------------------------

Tsk tsk! I'll be taking Shadow out in another half hour or so to go to work. I've only been unable to drive it two days this winter season: the day of the big snow and the day after. I took my wife's Jeep to work that Sunday and my step-daughter took me to work in her Jeep Monday, with the wife picking me up at 11:00pm (she didn't like coming out that late but she must love me).

The car has started up easily each time even though it still has the original battery (07'). Aside from the bushing squeaks when I first get going, its been smooth sailing every day.

I can't see how I could stand having such a pretty car sit idle all winter. Cars are made to be driven and I'm giving mine proper exercise during these winter months.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Having lived in northern Ohio my whole life I have seen what salt does to cars I plan on keeping mine forever and I'm not looking forward to a total restoration in a couple of years thus it sits happy warm and dry .

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Northern NJ towns have all gone totally nuts with spraying down the new sticky brine solutions, my Solstice now only sees the road after a good 24 hours of hard rain after the last snow event.

Even so, I still like the winter and this year has been great with plenty of fresh snow to hike through in the woods each week.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I agree, mine is stuck under its cover.... gonna wait till we get a good 24 hours of good rain before it comes out again, Here on Long Island the plows are not only salting the crap out of out roads they are tearing them up as well.... uggg is it spring yet.... :brentil:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine has been in storage since the last week of Oct. I have not even seen it since then. I only wished I lived as far SOUTH as Michigan. I,m in NORTHERN Canada only 4 more months until spring

·
Registered
715 Posts
All this 64 degrees weather is so nice. I don't get to drive in summer so we are even. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Massachusetts here and winter blues sux.... watching my baby tucked away in the garage hurts me :(

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
2014 Winter blues

Hi all, its about 4 degrees f. outside, my Solstice is under a car cover and 4
inches of snow. Can't wait till spring. It's been a long time since I can remember it being this cold. Never thought I'd miss driving a car as much
as this one! Must be some kind of obsession.
Erick:(

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm not too worried about my car rusting out from driving in the winter. My car is painted and rust doesn't grow on paint. Besides, the car will probably die of old age before it ever rusts.

I will make my final car payment this upcoming August, so that means the engine should seize up sometime in September.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.