Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IT'S FINALLY OFFICIAL!!!

Sooner, Roofer, Twitchy and the rest of the organizing committee are excited to officially announce NASSM 2016 – Kappas in the Ozarks. This will be the first NASSM held in the center of America since the inaugural one in Kansas City in 2006! The event will begin Monday, June 20, 2016 and will conclude with a banquet of regional cuisine on Friday, June 24, 2016. The mid-week schedule will give attendees two days to travel to and from the event and also allow us to avoid weekend traffic.

The Ozark Mountains of northwest Arkansas and southern Missouri are home to expansive forests, tranquil lakes, and wonderfully picturesque and twisted roads. NASSM will feature the usual combination of both scenic and spirited runs, a car show, vendors, and group social events, as well as a surprise or two. In addition, the area offers numerous other nearby attractions to fill out your vacation such as Branson, Silver Dollar City theme park, duck boats and water sports on Beaver and Table Rock Lakes, the Crystal Bridges Museum of Art, the Victorian town of Eureka Springs, Pea Ridge civil war battlefield, Wiederkehr Village winery, and the Crater of Diamonds State Park (the only place in North America where you can mine for, and keep, diamonds).

The Holiday Inn & Convention Center – Northwest Arkansas, 1500 South 48th Street, Springdale, Arkansas 72762 will serve as the host facility. The hotel is conveniently located at the intersection of I-49 and US-412 near the middle of the thriving Springdale / Fayetteville / Rogers / Bentonville metropolitan area and offers easy access to a wide variety of restaurants, entertainment, shopping, and other amenities. In addition, the bulk of the runs and other attractions either lie to the immediate east of the hotel off of US-412 or after a short run out of the metro area on I-49. The hotel sits about halfway between I-44 to the north and I-40 to the south. The area is also served by Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport.

During every planning step to-date, the organizers have come across someone with a child with autism. Therefore, our designated charity will be affiliated with autism research.

The NASSM 2016 registration website, as well as the hotel reservations link, will go live after NASSM 2015 in Portland. We look forward to seeing everyone in Oregon and hope you will join us a year later in the Ozarks!

Many thanks to all of those who have gone (or are going) before us for their input and assistance!

[If an Admin could "sticky" this post, it would be appreciated!]

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Congrats team, it is tough to get off the ground but y'all have gotten way out in front of this so deep respect!

AND only a 17 hour drive for me....lol

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SolNut - are you going to stay at the hotel or just drive in from the house every day? :)

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Sounds great, can't wait!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I might just have to attend my first ever national meet. Too close to ignore....

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might just have to attend my first ever national meet. Too close to ignore....
We might have to see if you will do some rubber meets the asphalt work after I get the initial run planning finished. :)

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Hmmm ....18.5 hour drive ( 2 to 3 days) 1780 km....... have to think about this.:willy:

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately, no matter where you hold it, NASSM is going to be a LONG way away from some people. Portland (2600 miles away) is going to have to be a "fly" trip for Karen and I, but we'll be there! But for those who can't attend due to the distance (or for any other reasons), we just might have a "trick" up our sleeves :cool:

Also, travel distance was one of the considerations that went into our decision to have a M-F NASSM in the Ozarks. We wanted people would have two days to travel. Nevertheless, we know that is still going to be a long haul for some folks.

On the upside, the Ozarks are reachable in an 8 hour driving day (560 mile radius) from - Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Birmingham, Atlanta (almost), Louisville, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee (almost), Minneapolis (almost), St. Louis, Kansas City, Des Moines, Omaha, Amarillo, and many other cities.

If you stretch out to two six hour driving days (840) miles), you add - Alburquerque, Corpus Christi, Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston (SC), Charlotte, Raleigh (almost), Pittsburgh, Columbus (OH), Cleveland, Detroit, and Denver.

Two seven hour days (980 miles), adds Salt Lake City (almost), Flagstaff, Phoenix (almost), Orlando, and Washington DC / Baltimore.

And if you really are up for pushing it, two 8 hour days will get you there from New York City or Las Vegas (almost)!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Every year when someone steps up and volunteers their personal time, energy, and in many cases money to organize "the next" location, come the slew of comments about in being "too far" and why there. But lets face it - its a choice to make the decision to take the plunge and make the trip. As a FL resident it is always going to be a long haul to make it to a location, yet I have made the trip most of the years.

As one who has personally participated in putting these events together, not once, not twice, but three times I can tell you that no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, every decision, every location, every person involved will be second guessed, criticized, and sometimes downright insulted. It's a thankless job for no pay.

This event has a long tradition of moving around the country in an effort to give everyone a chance to make the choice to come - to decide to make the drive. At some point those who really want to come - do come. At its heart and soul, the event needs to happen in a place where there are great roads to drive so some locations will NEVER be in play (like FL for example - LOL)

On a final note Sooner - what is the two seven hour days business, now why would I do such a short day of driving HA - at seven hours I am just getting warmed up!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't take offense at any of the above comments about distance. As I said, there are always people who won't be able to make it. I just wanted folks to know that travel distance / time was something we put a lot of thought into when we selected our location.

On a final note Sooner - what is the two seven hour days business, now why would I do such a short day of driving HA - at seven hours I am just getting warmed up!
I'm not sure what seven hour driving days are like either, unless if it's a long run at an event. I've been known to leave WV right after work, drive 14 hours and show up in Oklahoma to surprise my mom for a birthday breakfast or make it to Norman for Sooners tailgating and football. But then again, you and I are definitely not normal and some people prefer not to take it a little easier :)

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Cool

I want to stay at SolNuts house!

A day and a half for us. Nice trip to a part of the country that we have not visited before. What's not to like?

Good job and thanks for stepping up. We are good to go.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Cool

I want to stay at SolNuts house!

A day and a half for us. Nice trip to a part of the country that we have not visited before. What's not to like?

Good job and thanks for stepping up. We are good to go.
Sorry Rob, it's a very small house with only a 525 sq-ft Solstice Den.

Trip should only take a day....It's downhill all the way :thumbs:

·
Registered
746 Posts
IT'S FINALLY OFFICIAL!!!

... and will conclude with a banquet of regional cuisine ...
Sooner, please expand or retract this line which may scare off more sensitive members.

Visions of possum belly and squirrel brains may just thrill the imaginations into non-action and excuse making, i.e.:"Its too far..!"

Moonshine and promises of biscuits with sorghum might better lure attendees.

Surprises on the menu could backfire like a Kappa with a dirty MAF sensor.

I am jesting here somewhat, but we won't be missing this NASSM regardless of the cuisine!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sooner, please expand or retract this line which may scare off more sensitive members.

Visions of possum belly and squirrel brains may just thrill the imaginations into non-action and excuse making, i.e.:"Its too far..!"

Moonshine and promises of biscuits with sorghum might better lure attendees.

Surprises on the menu could backfire like a Kappa with a dirty MAF sensor.

I am jesting here somewhat, but we won't be missing this NASSM regardless of the cuisine!
Everyone can put aside any concerns they might have that I was referring to questionable and stereotyped backwoods hillbilly cuisine. I was referring to the kind of southern fare I would find at my grandmother and grandfather's table in small town Arkansas as a kid :) We're inviting a few hundred of our closest friends to dinner at NASSM, we promise we won't let you all down. (Unless you're counting on shine, in which case you are on your own).

1 - 20 of 182 Posts