Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 182 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
Thanks for the advice but we live in the hail capitol of the country in Colorado. Also lightening.

An enclosed car hauler is a nightmare to live with. The width is constrained by the lane width and its a huge pain in the butt to get a car into one let alone tie it down. Then access is severly limited. An open car hauler is easy to live with, much lighter and a lot less expensive.

There are other ways to deal with hail that are more user friendly and less costly.

HailBlankets - The Ultimate Car Cover

The Patented Hail Protector Hail Automobile Protection System

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
I towed a 54 Chevy Convertible through that area on my way to Kanas City, many years ago. Late July/early August. Tornado alley, and some very bad weather can hit you and quickly. Grew up in Nebraska, spent 15 years in Kansas City. Know the weather quite well.

Tornados are not the real problem, but the hail is a real problem. It literally destroyed the car, base ball sized hail, went through the top and looked like someone had hit is with a ball peen hammer all over it. Went from being a number 2 car to junk in a matter of minutes.

I can not imagine towing your car on an open trailer at any time, but going through that area at that time, I would be terrified.

Have him build a enclosed trailer, for safety and security Goose neck/5th wheel type would be better. Tag with axles moved forward could be touchy. Plus the other half will be able to buy tons of stuff to carry in the trailer on the way home. lol
:agree: One of the reasons we routed through NM and CO enroute to Mount Rushmore, and eventually NASSM was to stay out of tornado alley as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
I towed a 54 Chevy Convertible through that area on my way to Kanas City, many years ago. Late July/early August. Tornado alley, and some very bad weather can hit you and quickly. Grew up in Nebraska, spent 15 years in Kansas City. Know the weather quite well.

Tornados are not the real problem, but the hail is a real problem. It literally destroyed the car, base ball sized hail, went through the top and looked like someone had hit is with a ball peen hammer all over it. Went from being a number 2 car to junk in a matter of minutes.

I can not imagine towing your car on an open trailer at any time, but going through that area at that time, I would be terrified.

Have him build a enclosed trailer, for safety and security Goose neck/5th wheel type would be better. Tag with axles moved forward could be touchy. Plus the other half will be able to buy tons of stuff to carry in the trailer on the way home. lol
I will be driving from Toronto, ON and going to Kansas City for a night or two. Then driving south to NASSM. Am I out of the hail zone?:devil:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
You should be fine I have lived in Kansas City all my (64yrs) and Probably 4 times seen hail that damaged cars. Also did roofing for 38yrs and seen very little hail damage.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
You should be fine I have lived in Kansas City all my (64yrs) and Probably 4 times seen hail that damaged cars. Also did roofing for 38yrs and seen very little hail damage.
Good news. Thanks.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Never saw much hail in Kansas City, but south along the 40. Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas.

Anne's Santa Fe still in the plaza? Long time ago, early 80's when I lived there.

Love the city roofer. Would live there if it weren't for the winters. Spoiled out here in SoCal.

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
We get so much hail in the summer they bring out the snow plows to clear the road. Last summer we were coming home from a cruise and a club member took the wrong route in an effort to avoid hail and ran into hail so deep it ripped off his rear valence and split his front bumper cover.

Three years ago our neighborhood, three or four blocks, all of us lost our roofs to hail.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Nothing you put on the outside of the car is going to protect it from baseball sized hail. The old iron was beat to death, half inch dents all over the car with many more smaller ones. Of course to be honest I have never seen anything like it before or after. But it made a lasting impression on me. I can not even imagine the damage it would have done to our thin skinned kappas.

Decided not to take the Skpel to Colorado tonight. Too much stress with the trailer being to big for the FJ. We are going back to Ouray in September to drive the MDH loop. Any thing going on out that way Rob. Might try to schedule for it. Mine will be in her mobile garage. Never taking the chance of that happening again. I had worked for months on the car, it was a present for my dad. Still get sick when I think about it.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Northern Sol, you will know when you are near one or even the possibility of one being around. It is surreal, the sky becomes a yellowish hew, blue sky to the east, all hell breaking loose from the west. These storms are deadly, tear things apart, but are absolutely breath taking to see. The force of nature is dramatic, Black, Blue, lightning screaming across the sky, over golden fields of wheat and green corn fields. Everyone should get to see the power and fury, the beauty involved.

I seriously doubt you will get hit with what got me years ago, but be aware it is possible, but there are warnings you will see. If there is one, get out of the car, find an overpass and get as close to the top under the bridge as you can, and hold on. I have been near two and it is incredible the power, the amount of rain, wind and hail they can produce in a matter of seconds.

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
Nothing is absolute but there are options

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Patented-HAIL-PROTECTOR-VEHICLE-Hatchbacks/dp/B00G2Q5HNQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1436587500&sr=1-1&keywords=hail+proof+car+cover[/ame]

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Northern Sol, you will know when you are near one or even the possibility of one being around. It is surreal, the sky becomes a yellowish hew, blue sky to the east, all hell breaking loose from the west. These storms are deadly, tear things apart, but are absolutely breath taking to see. The force of nature is dramatic, Black, Blue, lightning screaming across the sky, over golden fields of wheat and green corn fields. Everyone should get to see the power and fury, the beauty involved.

I seriously doubt you will get hit with what got me years ago, but be aware it is possible, but there are warnings you will see. If there is one, get out of the car, find an overpass and get as close to the top under the bridge as you can, and hold on. I have been near two and it is incredible the power, the amount of rain, wind and hail they can produce in a matter of seconds.
Yikes, yikes and yikes!!!!!!! Hopefully weather forecasts warn you of these storms coming ???????:willy:

·
Registered
14 Posts
We'll be coming from Jersey.
Any idea when the block of rooms will open for reservations ?
I know a lot of behind the scenes work goes into planning something of this magnitude.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
We'll have the website up by the end of August. Hopefully sooner!

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Was GM ever contacted to be part of Ozarks 16? Calendar year wise it's the Solstice 10th anniversary, and it would be cool if they brought a Kappa concept or if one of the original team members could give additional insight into the development of the Solstice (or both).
I'm answer my own question since it was ignored, and assume the answer is no.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
For the tenth anniversary ~ be ambitious & aim high

I'm answer my own question since it was ignored, and assume the answer is no.
GM hasn't been involved with the Nationals for about six years now and it is not likely they ever will again.

On a lark the organizers might try contacting the kappaguru, the wizard of ahs,

the roadster maestro Bob Lutz and see if he would be interested in attending.

81 - 100 of 182 Posts