Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
October 11 - 13

This coming October 11 - 13, 2019, at Virginia International Raceway, 28 Classes in 26 races.

There are NO Solstices entered this year. (All races will be streamed from the runoffs page, right column, if the same format applies this year.)

This is amateur road racing at it's best.

https://www.scca.com/runoffs

See you there!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did see a Saturn Sky at SCCA Time Trials Nationals back in September though
Yes sir! But Time Trials Nationals and Road Racing National Runoffs are two completely different animals. I just checked the SCCA GCR for 2019 and there is no mention of a Saturn Sky anywhere between the covers. I was pretty sure that the Sky had never been approved for road racing by the SCCA. They are pretty good for the Time Trials and Autocross I have heard.

:thumbs:

(y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Absolutely. Very different, but I was glad to see it out there. The most stock class you can run in at time trials does not allow any additional bracing so that probably hurts the Kappas as far as I can tell from reading things here.

·
Super Moderator
6,437 Posts
Absolutely. Very different, but I was glad to see it out there. The most stock class you can run in at time trials does not allow any additional bracing so that probably hurts the Kappas as far as I can tell from reading things here.
For all the talk here about bracing (and I agree that at least one of the braces makes a significant improvement in handling) the cars handle exceptionally well as they came out of the box.

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
If you have not done some CAD simulation then please do not make assumptions based on seat of the pants testing. This car changes quite a bit when you add the brace bundle, the Z0K suspension system or similar and a set of high performance tires. There were 3 different people that did the testing to gage the improvement of the different braces and all 3 saw the improvements to the car.

·
Super Moderator
6,437 Posts
If you have not done some CAD simulation then please do not make assumptions based on seat of the pants testing. This car changes quite a bit when you add the brace bundle, the Z0K suspension system or similar and a set of high performance tires. There were 3 different people that did the testing to gage the improvement of the different braces and all 3 saw the improvements to the car.
What did your three testers do to determine the improvements?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could you guys be so kind as to tell me what bracing comes with the GXP Z0K? I have a non-Z0K GXP, but Time Trials rules would let me use anything from a Z0K

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Any idea on the results of the CAD simulations?

Would be interesting to see all three braces individually CAD tested and how each benefits the ride of the car.

I've read the analogy of our cars frame being compared to a hinge before. The hinge running down the center of our cars, front to back. My personal experience confirmed this hinge action after repeatedly entering a highway onramp that has a turn that can be hit with relatively high speed. Its an on ramp that Ive driven many, many times. Through the turn and prior to the tunnel brace, the car "felt" like it would "load up" on the driverside of the car (its a long right hand turn) and then "pop" - I dont know how else to describe it. I would get around three of these load up, pop, then release sensations. I felt this in my NA and the exact same thing in my GXP. Once the tunnel brace was installed, i never felt that again. To me (subjective opinion here) this was a huge change.

The Z0k sway bars improved the turn, the pro-beam improved the turn, the coil overs improved the turn, the venom brace....ehhh, who knows - Im sure this helps some people, it just wasnt an obvious change to me.

Seems like everyone who installs the pro-beam first swear that it made the biggest improvement and likewise for people who installed the tunnel brace. The pro-beam absolutely makes a large difference because of the stupid way that GM cheaped out and designed the frame under our cars. The pro-beam and tunnel brace both correct different issues that GM gave us (and arguably would have fixed themselves on a second gen Kappa platform).

The braces have been debated and discussed many, many times before on these forums - consensus? They help!

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Could you guys be so kind as to tell me what bracing comes with the GXP Z0K? I have a non-Z0K GXP, but Time Trials rules would let me use anything from a Z0K
I have the Z0K sway bars and they made a nice improvement in the car - PAW makes even thicker and larger ones.

Are there also Z0K shocks?

·
Super Moderator
6,437 Posts
These threads may tell you what you want to know:

·
Registered
9 Posts
JohnWR, thanks. When I read through these threads I get a little confused. It seems like Z0K means different things for GXP and non-GXP cars. Is that right?

·
Super Moderator
6,437 Posts
JohnWR, thanks. When I read through these threads I get a little confused. It seems like Z0K means different things for GXP and non-GXP cars. Is that right?
Yes, that is correct. As Saveaux stated, some parts are common, but some are not. To avoid confusion it is best to use the chart and reference the GM part number.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, that is correct. As Saveaux stated, some parts are common, but some are not. To avoid confusion it is best to use the chart and reference the GM part number.
That thread on Suspension Packages and Usage was started by the suspension engineer that designed the suspension for the kappas, and is sort of considered the bible of kappa suspension, and the table at the start of that thread is priceless and has info you won't find easily anywhere else. If you have questions, we can try to answer them for you, as our engineer friend doesn't hang around this forum any longer.

(y)

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
What did your three testers do to determine the improvements?
For that you have to ask both Dave's or do a search of what they did when the development of their braces were done. I did mine using CAD, but that was many years ago and the company that help me out with the simulation and finally the production of the actual product does not have any of the records. I know the simulation was done with and without the Z0K suspension from GM.
Also with and without the tunnel brace, finally different tire compounds were use in the testing. A lot of people here dismiss the Venom brace because it is usually installed after the backbone and tunnel brace are already in the car, or even with the Z0K suspension. Both Dave's and another company originally had their own version of the front brace, but the installation of each of them was not easy, my design was much easier and went from point A to B in a straight line and weight less, accomplishing similar results as theirs, plus was cheaper.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did a LOT of perusing through threads and searching for Z0K bits. Much easier 5+ years ago, I started about 2 years ago and was not easy.. Effectively, GXP Z0K rear springs are unobtanium..all the rest can (or could 1 year ago) be found with searching) As I was running SCCA Street class, only "factory options" were an option.. so I eventually some tired of their GXP rears and I got a set. I finally settled on the softer GXP front sway bar, But I think the GXP Z0K front bar and playing with rear caster might be a fast combo, but hard to perfect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts