Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. I went to the dealership to get my Sly Sol and was unhappy with the paint finish. On the hood there was what appeared to be light colored overspray. No big deal, I could get it off with my fingernail. On the driver's side door and trunk there was something else that resembled overspray, but would not come off by scaping with a fingernail. The salesman got a rag and some type of cleaning solution and attempted to remove the rust colored blemishes, but they would not come off. I asked the salesman what we could do to resolve this problem and he just said, "I don't know?". After rubbing and picking at these rust colored blotches for a while, the salesman said they could do an "acid bath" and this should take care of the problem. I decided to leave the car there and let them try to take care of it. He is supposed to call me in the morning.

All that being said, the car still looked great. I even took it for a spin around the lot. What fun, but I am sooo disappointed. When I got back from the spin, the salesguy said, "If those blemishes don't come off, do you still want the car, because if you don't I can have this car sold tomorrow". I told him we would have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

What do you guys think about this? What is an acid bath? Do you think it will take care of the problem? Should he be able to sell my car with a defective paint job and leave me out in the cold? Any advice?

Thanks in advance to any advice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You have the right to a "new" car. The problem is, new does not always mean "perfect" If there is a problem, and the dealer or GM agree to fix it, that's what they owe you. If you don't want the car, you don't have to take it, but then you are back in line.

You could always see what they can do, and if it's not fixed correctly but you still want the car, you should be able to male a claim for diminution of value (more or less, reduction in the price you pay).

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
im-be-sol said:
I need some advice. I went to the dealership to get my Sly Sol and was unhappy with the paint finish. On the hood there was what appeared to be light colored overspray. No big deal, I could get it off with my fingernail. On the driver's side door and trunk there was something else that resembled overspray, but would not come off by scaping with a fingernail. The salesman got a rag and some type of cleaning solution and attempted to remove the rust colored blemishes, but they would not come off. I asked the salesman what we could do to resolve this problem and he just said, "I don't know?". After rubbing and picking at these rust colored blotches for a while, the salesman said they could do an "acid bath" and this should take care of the problem. I decided to leave the car there and let them try to take care of it. He is supposed to call me in the morning.

All that being said, the car still looked great. I even took it for a spin around the lot. What fun, but I am sooo disappointed. When I got back from the spin, the salesguy said, "If those blemishes don't come off, do you still want the car, because if you don't I can have this car sold tomorrow". I told him we would have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

What do you guys think about this? What is an acid bath? Do you think it will take care of the problem? Should he be able to sell my car with a defective paint job and leave me out in the cold? Any advice?

Thanks in advance to any advice.
I'm not really familiar with an acid bath or what it might do to the finish of your car, so I can't help you there.

Regarding what would happen if the blemishes don'e come off, I will say this. If you decline delivery of the car because you find it unacceptable, then yes, I do believe the dealer has the right to try and sell the car to someone else willing to accept it. What else would you expect him to do?

Given that, if I were you, I would not turn down delivery of the car. I would accept the car and take it to an experienced auto detailer, and see what they could do to improve the finish. So long as these are only surface blemishes, a good detailer should be able to clean them off for you. Maybe ask your dealer if they would be willing to help with the cost of any additional treatments the car may need.

Well, that's my 2 cents. :)
Good luck, I hope it turns out for you and you keep the car!

·
Registered
753 Posts
i don't know what an acid bath is but it doesn't sound good. Letting the salesman go after your car with 'cleaning fluid' doesn't sound too good either.
It sounds like this stuff on your paint is on the surface, and if that is the case a competent detail shop probably can clean it up- worst case woud be a body shop... not to repaint but maybe a compound or fine wet sand to clean it up.
I would find a reputable detail shop and ask them to look at the the paint. I bet it can be made right, but it needs to be done correctly. Don't let someone without plenty of experience practice on your new solstice!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Oh my goodness, I so hope that your Solstice can be fixed with some work by a good paint guy!! They owe you a perfect car and I believe GM has been preaching this the whole time.

This situation has scared me a little. I am waiting on my Sly #2328 to be delivered here in Texas just like yours. It looks like our cars were built a couple of days apart and they were painted the same color, so I am a little worried about my car now being in the same shape upon arrival. I'm thinking the odds of this happening are very low, but I'm still worried. :(

If yours was delivered yesterday or today, then maybe mine will be here in a couple of days, but who knows with the current shipping situation.

I really hope they fix your car and I can check it out sometime in a Solstice Get Together!! Good Luck!! :)

- bspate -

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
im-be-sol: I'm so glad to hear of your Solstice arrival, and SO disappointed about the blemishes!

Very good advice above, but what to do?

Regarding cleaning fluid, I agree that could be horrible, and perhaps the acid wash too. A friend of mine had to remove some stupid billiard ball stickers on his new car (it was an advertising car to bring people in, they made it so ugly no one would buy it at ANY price, but my friend did, almost a 50% discount, as advertised).

Well, after getting them off and scrubbing with various things, the clear coat was coming off too. They (and maybe you too) need to call Pontiac and see if they have any ideas. Asking the pros is always a good idea. I wonder if turbomangt has anything to say on the problem. Why don't you PM him?

Good luck, my friend. I want the best for you. You were the one that confirmed when MARiSOL left Lordstown, and what the expected arrival date in Houston was. You missed it by only a day!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Stay away from the acid wash.......

Gizmo is right. The acid wash could be a nightmare, you could lose some gloss on the paint throughout that process. I too would contact Pontiac for expert advice! Don't just let these guys at the dealership come up with a quick solution. :cuss:

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
By the way, when they asked you if you would take the car or not, they might have been thinking: Ah, if we don't get this crap off, he will decline the car. Then we can get the crap off and sell it to someone else for $3000 over MSRP. Have they said it's MSRP for you? I hope so.

As I continue to rant, Champion Pontiac of North Houston (owned by Auto Nation) charged me $3000 over MSRP. They didn't tell me until five months after I gave them my deposit. They told me: Take it or leave it! Well, I had to take it, didn't I?

If you come to Houston, im-be-sol, call me and you can drive MARiSOL around a bit! You deserve it, my friend!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I won't say it's not done, but I owned a body shop for many years and never heard of, or read in trade publications, giving paint an acid wash. Avoiding acid on paint was always the recommendation! A good detailer would be the best person to be looking at the car and making recommendations, not a salesman. If a reputable detailer says to acid wash, then it would carry weight. Until I hear it from someone like that, it sounds like a boneheaded idea to me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Editguy said:
If reputable detailer says to acid wash, then it would carry wait. Until I hear it from someone like that, it sounds like a boneheaded idea to me.
oh, the irony.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
OK, I did an MSN search for acid wash car. EVERYTHING says keep acid off your car. There is no such thing as a good acid car wash.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
IS300toSOLSTICE said:
oh, the irony.
You caught me using the wrong word! How embarassing! :blush: I can't believe I did that. I need sleep desperately! Good night.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
gizmo2004 said:

As I continue to rant, Champion Pontiac of North Houston (owned by Auto Nation) charged me $3000 over MSRP. They didn't tell me until five months after I gave them my deposit. They told me: Take it or leave it! Well, I had to take it, didn't I?

no written sales contract...just a verbal and a deposit.....what a rip off from the dealers....I hope you at least complained to GM about this dealership...this is shoddy and dishonest business practices on the part of dealerships who do this......too little too late I realize.....but I would file a complaint with everyone who would listen...and never deal with this dealership again....most dont understand they make their money in parts and service....not new car sales........

·
Registered
18 Posts
It sounds to me like it might be rail dust from shipping. If this is what it is, have them clay bar it and that should take care of it! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds to me like it might be rail dust from shipping. If this is what it is, have them clay bar it and that should take care of it!

He beat me to it. Im pretty sure Clay will remove whatever is on the finish. Dont let them take a wheel and some rough crappy brand compound to that new car. Tell them to clay it, or do a test spot yourself.

Christopher
Pristine Autowerks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Called the dealership about an hour ago to tell the salesman I wanted to talk to him before they started any "acid wash". He didn't answer so I left him a message. He just called me back and said the acid wash was completed by an experienced technician and the paint looked perfect.

I keep you posted.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
im-be-sol: this was turbomangt's response, but he posted it in the wrong thread. I don't know if you saw it in time. He posted at 7:24 this morning at
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=111760
Post #13:

"The "rust" colored dots your friend saw on his Solstice was rail dust. one of the biggest contaminants on new cars. How it happpens. When the car is shipped on the trian, the friction between the steel wheels against the steel tracks creates micro metal fibers that are red hot and float into the air. They end up sticking right on the cars finish. To remove, they make a chemical designed to remove it, sometimes clay will work also. I wouldn't go the acid wash, dealers always take the easy fastest way to do anything, not always the best way however. Most of the techology dealers are using is 10 years old. Nobody teaches or educates them on what is new. Hell they still use high speed buffers on new cars when detailing which is a huge NO NO. I have gone in to a few dealers to teach the staff how to detail, but few really care about the detailing department, they focus on what makes them money, which is selling cars and selling the $800 paint seal package. Gary"

I sure hope the job was done well! Good luck, my friend.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Man, I hope his car looks perfect like the dealer said.

If so, (looking at my watch) he should be signing the papers about now!! :yesnod:

Then, he should be showing friends and family and cruising around for a while, then about 8pm tonight, we should be seeing pictures!!!!!! :) :)

Let's hope so!!

- bspate -

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not perfect, but the car is in my driveway. After all of these months, I can't believe it's mine. Paint is fine. Rail dust. Acid wash, who knows? Whatever they did, it worked and all is good.

Just in for a pit stop. I'll take some pictures later.

We've all heard it before, but let me say it again, it is worth the wait.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts