Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car for a week and it's fantastic. 845 miles in one week, my 100,000 maintenance won't last for long. If any of you haven't gotten your car yet and are near western PA please feel free to PM me. I'll be glad to show you my car and take you for a ride. I know how hard it was for me to wait for my car to get in, so the least I can do is offer my Sol for review and for a ride. The wait is tough, but the car is more than worth it. I have already forgotten about my Miata, the Sol is the new standard as far as I'm concerned. Hang in there guys, you'll love you car when it gets in. If you PM me and don't get an answer right away, please be patient. I've had a really busy week at work and haven't had a chance to check in on the Forum as much as I would like.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Congratulations! You really must've been testing it. Any clunking sounds out of 2nd?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Congrats, I'm curious about the clunking too and if you're having any problems with the top as far as wrinkles and the hardware that opens and closes it? O yeah hows the leather holding up I read in another post that it wrinkled up in one car.

Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
dear ex i wonder if you could give us a handling impression. is it a serious handling car or just kinda cute.dont mean that in a disparaging way. since youve had a miata you are the man who can let us know!
thanx
fred from nashville ;)

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car will "clunk" going into second gear in stop and go driving conditions. It doesn't sound like a problem, just the play in the drive line. It has not been a problem, nor does it sound as if it will become a problem. I owned an S-10 pickup that did the same thing and it had over 150k miles on it without any problems. Handling has been fantastic!!! My senior drafter has a Mustang GT and many times we have "cruised" the same stretch of road trying to loose each other. My Miata could never keep up with the GT on the turns, too much body roll and too much brake fade. That all stopped with my Solstice. Not only does the Solstice stick to the road on the turns but it also has brakes that are fantastic compared to my Miata. The GT can no longer walk away from me like it did in the past. I obviously can't match his speed on the straights, but I can sure do a lot of catch up on the turns. The only problem I have experienced with the top is with the hook that latches the top to the windshield frame. The latch hook CAN NOT be placed in the locked position when you put the top down. If you put the latch in the locked position, the hook projects out and will get bent on the trunk latch when you close the trunk. I found this out the hard way, which is why my car is going back to the dealer on Friday to get the hook realigned. The directions mentions leaving the latch in the open position, but I did not get to that part of the manual until after I closed the trunk the first time. No major damage or problem, just the inconvenience of having to pull the hook down manually to get it to align with the locking pin. There are wrinkles in the buttresses when the top is first put up, but on my car they disappear within the first ten or fifteen minutes. I think they are there because of the folding operation which the buttresses go through when you stow the top. To me it has not been a problem. I do have a metallic buzzing sound when I first move the car after it has sat for a period of time. It sounds like a shield over a portion of the exhaust system is touching a frame member until the exhaust heats up. The dealer is going to check this out on Friday. This is also something that I don't think is a problem, just an item that needs to be adjusted. I can't tell you how excited and pleased I am with the car. It of course is not a $30,000 vehicle, but in most cases, it looks, acts and rides like a $30,000 car. GM has hit a home run with this car. I have been stopped so many time by people asking questions about my Solstice. The main thing that they can't get over is how little the car costs. The appearance, sound, handling, and ride far exceed the cost and my own expectations. The 100,000 mile maintenance I referenced was an extra protection package I purchased from my dealer, it isn't anything that GM has given with the car. If you aren't going to get your Solstice for awhile, find someone in you area who has one and nag them until they give you a ride. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sounds like you're having a blast! Hope to hear more reviews and updates soon from everyone.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had a blast. Jumpy Guy and his wife were just at my office to see my Solstice. We went for a ride, talked about the Solstice and in general just had a great time. Life is good when you can meet face to face with another Forum member! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts