Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found the listing on eBay it says for a 2.4 Solstice or Sky, I wrote them and it will work on any Kappa or Pontiac G6, direct bolt on. It puts out 173 amps at 800 rpm, our stock alternator on the 2.0 only puts out 140 at max (around 4000 rpms) I think you could run a small city off this thing, he told me they even have one that goes up to 320 amps. Most people have zero need for this but there are a few who could use it, it is not much more than a stock alternator from the dealer if you were to have to replace one but it is expensive, there are 2 versions, the difference is the warranty. Anyone putting a big sound system in an NA should most likely upgrade, the GXP alternator is borderline at 140. In case the link does not work as eBay links sometimes don't it is an Iraggi alternator, easy to find.
220 Amp alternator

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I found the listing on eBay it says for a 2.4 Solstice or Sky, I wrote them and it will work on any Kappa or Pontiac G6, direct bolt on. It puts out 173 amps at 800 rpm, our stock alternator on the 2.0 only puts out 140 at max (around 4000 rpms) I think you could run a small city off this thing, he told me they even have one that goes up to 320 amps. Most people have zero need for this but there are a few who could use it, it is not much more than a stock alternator from the dealer if you were to have to replace one but it is expensive, there are 2 versions, the difference is the warranty. Anyone putting a big sound system in an NA should most likely upgrade, the GXP alternator is borderline at 140. In case the link does not work as eBay links sometimes don't it is an Iraggi alternator, easy to find.
220 Amp alternator

damn, that's a nice alternator!!! I wonder if its really a direct bolt?

but if it is, it will be a wise upgrade for sound fanatics!!! :devil:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Saw those on ebay a few months ago. Hard to justify $439 since if you need a new alternator and are out of warranty you can pick up a new one from our new favorite store in Kalamazoo for a bit over $100. But if you have need....

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saw those on ebay a few months ago. Hard to justify $439 since if you need a new alternator and are out of warranty you can pick up a new one from our new favorite store in Kalamazoo for a bit over $100. But if you have need....
ICS will run out of alternators not an unlimited supply, while they have some great deals they have almost nothing I need, did manage to get some new floor mats, on a new MAF for my truck they are $30 more than NAPA and no shipping with NAPA. This alternator is not for everyone, but I watch my voltmeter needle bounce at stop lights when the stereo is up, mostly I just need something that puts out more at idle, 140 would be fine if it was 140 all the time.

Like Tim Allen says MORE POWER!!!!! oooh oooh oooh!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
i wonder if there will be a fitment issues if this is meant for a 2.4L.......and we put it in a 2L engine?

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
What exactly are you guys planning on doing, turning a Kappa into a mobile arc welding rig..... :skep:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Can never have enough power. Actually, my 2006 Club Sport Solstice stock alternator is rated at 120AMP. The 2007 and newer models got the 140AMP unit. The 120AMP just doesn’t keep the battery charged up for short runs. I have a PCMforless tune and had them turn on the radiator fan at 200F. The 120AMP alternator just can’t keep up.:nonod:

I got my Alterstart Load Boss 200AMP for $317.99, shipped from Dallas,TX. Test sheet data puts out 229AMPs at 7,000 RPM Alternator speed, not ENGINE RPM speed. So if your vehicles pulley ratio is 3 to 1 that would equate to 2,333 engine RPM.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've been looking for a source for upgraded alternators for a while now. Thanks for the lead. Although the one listed is for 2.4L Kappas.

As I mentioned, I called and asked them, well actually I emailed. He told me YES it does fit the 2.0, the alternator cases for the 2.0 and the 2.4 are the same just the inside is different (amp rating), they both mount the same crazy way, the mounts are sideways, take a look sometime, I did.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
are you gonna get one lil goat?

if the case is the same as 2.4L.....we shouldnt have any problems installing this iraggi....I'm very interested.

i emailed him thru ebay, but never got a response back. I hate that from a seller. Makes me want to stay away from him.....

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I emailed him direct, he is slow to respond, my guess is he checks email at night after work, here is his email. [email protected]

Yes I will get one as soon as $$$$ permit, and if he sponsors you and you get a free one I am driving to New York and stealing it!

By the way almost never is any aftermarket alternator a direct bolt on, I am sure the case will bolt right up, but usually you have to futz with the connectors, they never seem to be exactly right. Our mount is so odd, getting that part right is the hard part.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
hahaha! dom will not sponsor me.

he doesn't even email me back....lol

This morning, I actually CRANKED my sound system for 20 mins (home to work). With the heater on, and HID lights (fogs and headlights).............I monitored my in-dash votlmeter the whole time.

it started at 14.6 volts

at the stop light it is around 14.2 -14.3 v............and on the highway it is around 14.5 volts

I think, my 1000 watt sound system set-up (3 amplifiers w/ their own seperate battery) with the stock 140 amp alternator is good enough.

If my voltmeter goes down to around 13.8-13.9 volts while car is in idle at a stop light......then I'll be concerned.

with your bigger amps that sucks more power...........and with only one big battery......might be a different story.....

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My voltmeter bounces down to in the 13's even when on the highway, it should read 14.2 all the time, that means you are never using battery reserves. You should not have any issue's but if you drive with it cranked most of the time (and I do) eventually it can cause an issue, what happens is your battery never gets fully charged, a good deep cell with a fast recharge capability will put up with it for a long time. More power is always better! The greater the power the happier the amp is and the more power it will put out.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
oh fawk.....yeah, mah bad....it's tough to post while working at full time job.

.....voltmeter reads 14.2-14.6 range! lol!

and if its below that 13.8-13.9...its bad! :)

I'll revise my previous post.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
My voltmeter bounces down to in the 13's even when on the highway, it should read 14.2 all the time, that means you are never using battery reserves. You should not have any issue's but if you drive with it cranked most of the time (and I do) eventually it can cause an issue, what happens is your battery never gets fully charged, a good deep cell with a fast recharge capability will put up with it for a long time. More power is always better! The greater the power the happier the amp is and the more power it will put out.

yeah....13s will be a concern

I like to make sure mine is above 14.3 to give more power :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
a good deep cell with a fast recharge capability will put up with it for a long time.
That's why my first mod was an Optima Red Top. Use them in all my cars even though they're not perfect. This alternator was something I've been trying to find for a while. I learned a lot about the stock one though in the process.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Red Top is not a Deep Cycle, the Yellow top is. I have had bad luck with Optima's my son and I have both had to replace Red Tops. I won't buy one again, warranty was great they gave me all my money back but it's is a pain to swap our batteries. I use Odyssey now (SEARS Platinum) deep cycle, 740 CCA 100 min. reserve and the fastest recharge of any battery on the market, and I still need a bigger alternator.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
red top failed on me and my friends too during a sound competition.....

that's why I have a bad taste with OPTIMA company....

don't even wana try their yellow top.

I'll stick with XS Power AGM batteries....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts