Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just talked to a H-Q, rep. and was informed that 2500 cars would be made during this production run. that is wonderfull news for the first 1500 people that were put onto the wait list. i just hope that i am one of the next lucky owners!congeats to the winners, and good luck to the rest of us!

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I just read an article that said the plant was capable of producing over 250,000 car per year when it was a Saturn plant. Even with the Sky and the Opel car doing full runs that would only be 60,000. There has to be an incredible amount of wasted resources there.

-DT

·
Registered
228 Posts
tattoodtimmy said:
i just talked to a H-Q, rep. and was informed that 2500 cars would be made during this production run. that is wonderfull news for the first 1500 people that were put onto the wait list. i just hope that i am one of the next lucky owners!congeats to the winners, and good luck to the rest of us!
You do realize that makes no difference what so ever for you right? After the first 1000 are produced the cars outside of that are made for allocations to dealers. People on waitlists have no order in with gm whatsoever. All the waitlist means is if someone in the first "1000" doesnt pan out or cancels the order, a person on the waitlist will have an option to proceed with an order.

What I find ironic is all these people on the waitlist will more then likely miss out on a solstice at their dealer. They are waiting with no order in hand will hundreds to thousands of people order the solstice without ever having been on the waitlist.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dogtown said:
I just read an article that said the plant was capable of producing over 250,000 car per year when it was a Saturn plant. Even with the Sky and the Opel car doing full runs that would only be 60,000. There has to be an incredible amount of wasted resources there.

-DT
This car is completely different then whatever was produced there before. The hydrofromed frame rails limit the cars production ability.

·
5,641 Posts
achieftain said:
According to GMtv http://gmtv.feedroom.com/iframeset.jsp?ord=42339 there are a total of 5000 EOP cars available, with the first 1000 being special.

What I heard Wendy say was that 1,000 orders, 4, 000 wait listed, another 4,000 (wait list) orders available.

So taking out my calculator, someone takes 2,000 participating dealers at 5 cars per dealer for 10,000 cars at max in the EOP. 5,000+ already ordered, 4,000+ possible left. In other words the person who wrote Wendy's script thinks there can be 9,000 on the wait list. Any car wait listed before the end of the Early Order Program on the 24th is an Early Order Program order. Still only 1,000 cars in the first 1,000 cars built.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Dogtown said:

-DT
The L series was not hydroformed like the Solstice/Sky/Opel so it's machinery was capable of producing componenets faster, but not as beautifuly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Small Dealer said:
What I heard Wendy say was that 1,000 orders, 4, 000 wait listed, another 4,000 orders available. So taking out my calculator, someone takes 2,000 participating dealers at 5 cars per dealer for 10,000 cars at max in the EOP. 5,000+ already ordered, 4,000+ possible left. In other words the person who wrote Wendy's script thinks there can be 9,000 on the wait list. Any car wait listed before the end of the Early Order Program on the 24th is an Early Order Program order. Still only 1,000 cars in the first 1,000 cars built.
So does this mean that everyone who was waitlisted in those first 5000 on Friday will get an EOP car? Could someone (SolanonInsider???) verify this?

·
5,641 Posts
skyhigh said:
So does this mean that everyone who was waitlisted in those first 5000 on Friday will get an EOP car? Could someone (SolanonInsider???) verify this?
No, there will still only be 1000 first 1000 cars built under the Early Order Program, but there can be many more orders during the Early Order Program. Those not built as part of the 1000 first 1000 will have to be filled during the year with regualr production cars or cancelled.

·
Registered
146 Posts
2006 or 2007 orders

The local dealership here bought one package deal or one "chance" to try for 1 of 1.000. The sales clerk said that they had to pay "big bucks" to be in the running. Another dealership told me that there would only be a total 2,500 of the 2006 models out there... and that they were taking orders for the 2007 model. After checking out the GM News link it sounds like there are at least 5000 initial cars in the making. How many 2006 Solstice's do you think they will actually produce? It should prove interesting... some say in order to keep the "buzz" going they are going to take their time and "ration" them out. Maybe that's "The Donald's" idea- but at the same time GM stock is low & they to want to turn that around ASAP.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Post EOP Allotment Orders

I'm buying one for the wife but I'll get plenty of miles behind the wheel! (my fun one is a '71 Camaro RS split bumper project that is close to completion - 383 stroker with 385HP and 431 lb-ft)

I had to wait for post EOP to use my $3500 GM Card earnings. We put a deposit down Saturday. The dealer said they got 3/5 EOP's and their next allotment was 7. We were 4 or 5 in that group. They said they'll send the orders in next week after the EOP's are completed this week. The sales guy didn't have an ETA, yet. We saw the car at the Dallas Auto Show Sunday and we're pumped!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Billabongi said:
This car is completely different then whatever was produced there before. The hydrofromed frame rails limit the cars production ability.
Actually I belive it is the sheet-hydroformed body panels that are the problem, not the rails. The rails are created using same technology as the Corvette and many truck hydroformed rails. Sheet-hydroforming is a low investment but slow production method of sheetmetal forming.

Keep in mind that the actual kappa assembly line prolly occupies a fraction of the original plant that built L-cars (Corsica/Berettas) and later Malibus, then Saturn L-series.

Additionally, a large number of hand-mig welding is used for the kappa - this is slower than the traditional unibody pieced together with spot welding. There is plenty of reasoning to take an entire plant capable of building 200,000 traditional unibody FWD cars and reduce the practical capacity to no more than, say 50 or 60,000 MAX with 3S/6DPW/20HPD setup. (that's 3 shifts, 6 days/wk, 20 hrs per day - similar to how Lordstown ran for a few years when the Cav/Sunfire was running a max capacity)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Remember, in your number calculations, that Canada, for example, was not part of the "EOP" and we have been able to place orders since March 28th, our orders will take away from those produced for the US

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Unfortunately I haven't been following the Canadian information as closely as the USA's. Is there a solid delivery time from for the Canadian cars yet? Because if they're set to deliver after the USA's first 4 month allotment starts it might not impact initial USA values as much.

Also GM might not be filling the entire Wilmington plant with Solstice/Sky/Opel Kappa equipment. They might be leaving part of the plant empty for other Kappa cars, or any other cars/parts they want to make in that space too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Most information indicates that delivery will start in late June-early July, I beleive that our cars will be included in the first run

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
monolith said:
Most information indicates that delivery will start in late June-early July, I beleive that our cars will be included in the first run
I'd think July would be a more realistic time frame. Because if the first 1000 cars are VIN sequenced they would have to finish those first then they could move on to normal allotment cars. So a logical guess would be once EOP is done and normal USA allotments start Canadian ones would be mingled in with those too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Small Dealer said:
No, there will still only be 1000 first 1000 cars built under the Early Order Program, but there can be many more orders during the Early Order Program. Those not built as part of the 1000 first 1000 will have to be filled during the year with regualr production cars or cancelled.
Obviously cars 1001-whatever won't be first 1000 special cars, I was asking if I was one of the first 5000 who tried to get a first 1000 and was waitlisted, does this mean that I'm still going to get a one of the first 5000? Or do I have to tell my dealer to order me one of his regular allocations? My dealer told me that I'm getting one of his regular allocations, even though I didn't put in a separate order for one, just my waitlist order from the first 1000 deals.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts