Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure we have all read this quote

"6 months after the production of the Saturn SKY, GM will introduce a Saturn SKY Redline, which will be powered by a turbocharged 253HP 2.0L Ecotec engine. Can you say Miata eater?"

Do we know if this is confirmed? If it is confirmed on the Sky do we know if we are going to get a Solstice with this same engine?

That would be sick because a 250HP turboed engine is exactly what I would want in my Solstice.

Thanks for the responses.
Jason

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well, it is confirmed that a forced-induction Solstice/Sky is being tested.

Pics were posted of test mules with intercoolers visibly installed. So forced induction is verified, but not the method or the displacement.

I would also say that the Sol will get a new fascia or front spoiler, because the stock one was hacked up to get the intercooler to fit behind it.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
Well, it is confirmed that a forced-induction Solstice/Sky is being tested.

Pics were posted of test mules with intercoolers visibly installed. So forced induction is verified, but not the method or the displacement.

I would also say that the Sol will get a new fascia or front spoiler, because the stock one was hacked up to get the intercooler to fit behind it.
:agree:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
Good point Sky, it was confirmed that we saw something of a higher output nature being tested.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Engine Upgrade

How many Solstice buyers would really consider spending the additional money for a F/I version? Take the successful selling Miata as an example. How many "MazdaSpeed" versions sell compare to the regular version? Do we want to spend $3k-$5K for a 30% gain in power?

I like what GM is doing by giving us an affordable, cool looking, good handling, convertible car. The getting in and out to put the top up/down is going to be a pain though. The car is price right for what it is. Add more power and performance options in modest terms may boost a few sales, but it is a half-ass attempt IMO. If you are going to offer a performance version then go all the way and do it right, not some Honda S2000 or Porsche Boxster contender. Build a upper $30K car with all the technology you have. Give it all the guts and handling of a supercar if this is what someone wants.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Delnari said:
How many Solstice buyers would really consider spending the additional money for a F/I version? Take the successful selling Miata as an example. How many "MazdaSpeed" versions sell compare to the regular version? Do we want to spend $3k-$5K for a 30% gain in power?

I like what GM is doing by giving us an affordable, cool looking, good handling, convertible car. The getting in and out to put the top up/down is going to be a pain though. The car is price right for what it is. Add more power and performance options in modest terms may boost a few sales, but it is a half-ass attempt IMO. If you are going to offer a performance version then go all the way and do it right, not some Honda S2000 or Porsche Boxster contender. Build a upper $30K car with all the technology you have. Give it all the guts and handling of a supercar if this is what someone wants.
I would send that for that gain. I am going to look at chip, an exhaust upgrade and if available a supercharger or a turbo when and if available later down the road.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Many people out there spend MUCH more than $3-$5k for 30% gain in RELIABLE power. As long as the new front fascia isn't ugly, the car should do pretty good. And you can't compare this to a miata, a miata looks like someone cut a torpedo in half and widened it so an engine and 2 people could sit in side.

·
5,600 Posts
Delnari said:
Well I know of one person. Me! :lol:

A car's heart is it's motor. It sets the tone for everything else. I realize that chassis stiffness, balance, responsiveness and overall handling are vital. But kick up the power and you give that same car an entirely different character. A car with some power feels lighter than it is, all things being equal - because it is so responsive.

How many will buy one? About 1 in 4 - so I say it is still worth offering.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I thought the most recent news was that it was only going to be around 200HP?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Wow there are some very uniformed members here! Sort of upsetting that my first post has to be one to set everybody straight. I take it there are lots of people that have joined here just because they saw Apprentice and/or like the car. People I think probably don't plan on buying it or can't.

I for one am getting this car, so I have done quite a bit of reading and researching.

The Sky will be released with exatly the same engine as the Sol and will have the same exact power output. The plans are to release FI versions of BOTH cars 6 months (or so) after the release of the Sky. That is IF the Solstice does well enough for it's first year and the Sky starts off well, they will only continue with the FI version if they see fit based on how well this new platform does.

·
5,600 Posts
Adrenaline said:
I thought the most recent news was that it was only going to be around 200HP?
Nope. There has been absolutely no reliable confirmation on engine displacement or output. Rumors have the power being anywhere from 200HP to 253HP. But nobody knows yet.

·
4,592 Posts
mustangnomo said:
And you can't compare this to a miata, a miata looks like someone cut a torpedo in half and widened it so an engine and 2 people could sit in side.
I read this a couple of hours ago, and couldn't help coming back to it:

Is this meant as a compiment? Would a MSM be a torpedo cut in half, widened, and spoilers added? :lol: Sounds duragatory, but it reads as a compliment. I think if you did cut a torpedo in half and sell it, people would buy it, how cool :cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
If the Miata aftermarket is any indication, there will be a lot of people interested in spending $3-5k for a 43% increase in power (not 30%, right?). I don't think it's as high as 1 in 4, among all buyers, but among car enthusiasts such as the people visiting this site, I think it's a lot. Personally, I think that kind of power will be necessary to give the kind of acceleration response you imagine the car to have given it's good looks, weight, and big wheels and wide tires.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm keeping the original and going for an aftermarket chip and turbo kit with the added exhaust system.

·
Registered
905 Posts
bcbriggs said:
I'm keeping the original and going for an aftermarket chip and turbo kit with the added exhaust system.
Same here!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
robrecht said:
Personally, I think that kind of power will be necessary to give the kind of acceleration response you imagine the car to have given it's good looks, weight, and big wheels and wide tires.
I'm going to come down on the opposing side. I feel the base power and torque will be fine for the majority of people (despite the weight). You are correct that there will be a pool of enthusiasts who want more power.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm waiting for FI. In fact, I wish the Solstice was more upscale than is planned, and I'd happily pay an extra $10,000 for a car with the Soltice's looks and more power and amenities. I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way, although there are probably more folks who will be happy with the base Solstice. Kinda like the Mustang; the base model outsells the GT, but there are enough GT sales to justify production.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts