Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep... The worst possible news I think I could have heard after getting the phone call I have been waiting to get for 6 months.

Tuesday morning, the dealer calls and tells me the good news that my Sol has just been unloaded. I am out of town on business for the week, which is the first of the bad luck.

Tuesday evening, I check my voice mail and e-mail and sure enough there is another call from my dealer and a picture attached to an e-mail. Sales guy tells me that they were going over the car and noticed a 1/2 inch dent - scratch in the rear panel of the car down by the wheel and sent the car to the body shop for repair. Lucky me!

So... This begs the question - what the heck do I do now?

The car could come back from the shop and you would never be able to tell the difference, but it rips me apart thinking that my new car that I have waited 6 months for has already undergone body work !!!

Not too happy, but also nothing I can do. I was supposed to be able to get it on Friday when I return from my business trip, and they are trying hard to still have it ready for me.

For the first time in 6 months, I am not anxious to see my new car. If it looks like crap, I am not sure how I will deal with that.

Any thoughts out there? Suggestions?

:cryin: :eek: :skep: :crazy: :cuss: :(

·
Registered
753 Posts
Bummer! i'd ask to see it before it was repaired if possible, and I wouldn't make a decision until i saw the the repair completed. If the shop is good you will never know it was there, and it won't affect the value or performance of your solstice if it's done right.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
At least give your dealer credit for being up front about it. They could have given you some kind of other story to keep you away while they fixed it, such as not telling you it arrived.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I worked with my father during summers while in high school and college. He was the foreman of the body shop for my local GM dealer. In the seven summers I worked there I was surprised how many cars came in with dents, dings and scratches. A good body shop can have you car looking BETTER than new. Hang in there, all of us are afraid of our first dent or scratch, you have had yours and it's getting fixed without you having to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The only reason you know is because we all follow this car so much. In general I'm pretty sure cars make it to the dealerships busted up all the time in some manor and they get fixed before customers ever see them. Unfortunately unless you want to reject this car and wait who knows how long to get another you're going to have to live with this.

·
Registered
576 Posts
:agree: You will probably never be able to tell. The paint is still very new so matching should not be a big problem.

BTW: You may get the award for the first body work on a Solstice. Now the question, who will get the award for the first ticket in a Solstice?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
SolLate said:
:agree: You will probably never be able to tell. The paint is still very new so matching should not be a big problem.

BTW: You may get the award for the first body work on a Solstice. Now the question, who will get the award for the first ticket in a Solstice?
Oh, I'm pretty sure that's happened already. :D

·
Registered
819 Posts
brentil said:
The only reason you know is because we all follow this car so much. In general I'm pretty sure cars make it to the dealerships busted up all the time in some manor and they get fixed before customers ever see them. Unfortunately unless you want to reject this car and wait who knows how long to get another you're going to have to live with this.
Brentil, you may very well be correct. I never had thought of it that way before. I have only ordered one special order car in well over 30 years of buying cars. Most of my new cars were ones already sitting on a dealer's lot, just waiting for someone to buy it. This group of cars is special in that EVERY owner is anxiously awaiting its delivery. I am sure not every one is damaged, but there have been several. Good lock to all!!! :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Defintely don't get me wrong, I'll be damn upset too if my car comes in with issues like that. :(

But I've waited so long for this car I think being upset will soon pass for complete joy once any issues are resolved and I can tool all over FL in my new Solstice. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well the ball is in the dealers court to make it right. You have the right to keep sending it back until you see no imperfection. Check it it all kinds of light before you accept the car.

Man that would tick me off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are right. I stopped by tonight, and it had just came back from the body shop and it looked great. I would highly recommend my dealer and sales person. They knew I would be out of town and had plenty of time to get this fixed before I would even be back in town, yet they were up front and honest with me. I REALLY appreciate knowing, even though it was bad news.

I am going down tomorrow to see it in the day, and have my fingers crossed. At any rate, the people I am working with are very good and I feel that they will do everything possible to make things right.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just a further fever to the "quality" issues..I jsut saw #81 (see different thread for story) and it has a lot of noticeable flaws on it. The rear bumper above the valance has a 3 inch crease in it. definitelt at the factory as the valance has no damage. There are numerous areas that have dirt under the paint so there are little bubbles. The front bumper just below the hood has a blob of paint. Almost looks like the hood scratched it and someone tried to touch it up. The interior doos panels had issues of not being attached securely. Specifically the small innner pieces near the handles that are popped onto the actual door panel. This one was also mysterious and maybe if we polled the people, there may be a connection by the colors built and the number of problems. I know I saw JMS-MES's car and there were none of these issues.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Dents, scratches, & dings happen alot. Many happen even before the car leaves the factory. Sometimes they are not caught before the vehicle is loaded, and it gets to the dealer. Sometimes they happen in transit. Look at the car haulers, and you will be surprised that it doesn't happen more.

I think Saturn tried to deliver their vehicles in completely covered transports for that very reason.

My only point is that so many things happen before you ever see these cars and you never know about it. An open, honest, & upfront dealer that tells you about these things is well worth giving your repeat business.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well... I thought I would post an update!

All is good with #254. Got it back from the body shop and now sitting in the garage. They did a great job, and even threw in some extras (eg. Tinted Windows - a must have for AZ owners). The dealership and the sales people are top notch and I couldn't be happier with this car.

Thanks for the feedback, it helped me through the week for sure.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
JoePA96 said:
Yep... The worst possible news I think I could have heard after getting the phone call I have been waiting to get for 6 months.

Tuesday morning, the dealer calls and tells me the good news that my Sol has just been unloaded. I am out of town on business for the week, which is the first of the bad luck.

Tuesday evening, I check my voice mail and e-mail and sure enough there is another call from my dealer and a picture attached to an e-mail. Sales guy tells me that they were going over the car and noticed a 1/2 inch dent - scratch in the rear panel of the car down by the wheel and sent the car to the body shop for repair. Lucky me!

So... This begs the question - what the heck do I do now?

The car could come back from the shop and you would never be able to tell the difference, but it rips me apart thinking that my new car that I have waited 6 months for has already undergone body work !!!

Not too happy, but also nothing I can do. I was supposed to be able to get it on Friday when I return from my business trip, and they are trying hard to still have it ready for me.

For the first time in 6 months, I am not anxious to see my new car. If it looks like crap, I am not sure how I will deal with that.

Any thoughts out there? Suggestions?

:cryin: :eek: :skep: :crazy: :cuss: :(
You'll never know where it was worked on. This wouldn't bother me as long as it's taken care of, and be ready when you get home.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I bought a car one time and i looked it over very well before i got it.. well 3 years later i went to trade it in (at the same Dealer) and they asked me when i had it repainted, I told them I never had it repainted.. he said it has been repainted because there is overspray on some of the rubber trim, and he showed me when he pulled back on the rubber... I looked him directly in the eye and said well if it was repainted you repainted it because i bought it here new and i have never had a thing done to it... he shut up then and changed his tune somewhat..

·
Registered
600 Posts
Congrats on the ride and all the excellent repairs and treatment!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts