Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first time owning a 2nd car. Any interesting things I should be thinking of?

Living in the northeast my biggest problem is snow & winter. I plan to store my Solstice in the off season. I could store it in my garage but that would put my truck out in the driveway in the ice & snow every morning (sucks). I'm considering renting a garage for 4 months to store the Solstice. Not sure if Public storage takes cars or paying one of my friends who has extra garage space at their vacation home.

Only other thing I could think of is keeping battery charged during storage? Trickle charger? Found something called Battery Tender which appears to be a fancy trickle charger. www.batterytender.com

Am I missing anything?

:cheers

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have owned 2 cars for years now, and have always stored my Fiero in my own garage for the winter, leaving my daily driver out in the elements for the winter. I used to park my daily in the garage for the winter, and I do miss not being able to get up and just drive. However, its not that much of an inconvenience, and I usually have enough time to heat my car up and melt off any ice from overnight anyway. Its certainly better than paying $100 a month for a storage garage (as my father does for his summer ride).

I usually just head out and run my Fiero a couple times over the winter to keep the battery charged and the fluids running. If the weather gets nice for a couple days I will drive it around the block a few times too.

Other points of interest in owning two cars. The bad: They both conspire to need repairs or maintenance at the same time. For some odd reason, I seem to need new tires on both at the same time, or brakes, or if one breaks down the other begin to run poorly. Ts uncanny!

The good: You have a spare car just in case. You get a multi car discount on your insurance. Its such a big discount on mine that I hardly pay any more to insure two cars than I did insuring one. You can save your favorite car from the destructive forces of winter.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If I were storing a car for the winter, I would also change the oil and put some fuel stabilizer in the tank before putting it away. Depending on the tires, you might flat spot them. The Michelin Pilot Sports on one of my previous cars would temporarily flat spot after even a week of sitting, but they would get back to round after a few miles of driving.

What did with my past sports cars was drive them once every week or two even during the winter. I'd wait for a day when there was no snow or ice on the road. If the roads had been recently salted, I'd wait until after the next rain to take the car out.

The main drawback to my system is that I had to scrape the frost off my commuter car every morning. The garage was occupied by the sports car and the wife's car.

·
Registered
667 Posts
One other thing to think about is insurance. Check with your agent and see if your 2nd car will qualify as a recreational only vehicle. This only means that it will only see limited mileage per year and that it is not your prime mover. It will save you some $$$ if you (& the 2nd car) qualify.

·
Registered
667 Posts
mceb said:
Stupid question, how do I flat spot them?
It just means that the tires take on the contour of the surface they sit on after a period off time (flat floor= flat spots). If you will not be using the car for long periods of time just put it up on jack stands. No flat spots.

·
Registered
161 Posts
mceb, the battery tender is a good thing.
I have an '82 Vette I put away in the fall & 'revive' in the spring. I have used a battery tender (also called a float charger?) on it for the last three years. It keeps the battery up to snuff and the car has started right up every spring.

This is the first year I've tried fuel stabilizer. I have had no problems without it, but figure it is cheap 'insurance'.

We have a two car garage. The 'Vette is stored cross-wise ahead of the the other two cars. Harbor Freight had a sale on vehicle wheel dollies and I bought a set of four. In the fall, I jack each corner of the 'Vette up and drop it onto a dolly. Then I push the car sideways and up against the wall. I have it under a car cover to keep the dust off.

There is not a lot of room between the back of the cars and the doors, but enough.

It beats having to pay for storage and I can go out to the garage, sit in the 'Vette and go Walter Mitty for a time... :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
dls6774 said:
... I can go out to the garage, sit in the 'Vette and go Walter Mitty for a time... :D
:D It beats Margaritaville almost every time! :cheers A garage is a beautiful thing! Even more so with a vette in the back.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I agree about getting a battery tender. But I'd make it a January 1 ritual (half way through winter) to go out and check the water level in the battery. They have a tendency to boil it off. My problem is reversed. I store my car without an AC till the temperature drops in fall.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I’ve never used a trickle charger on the battery in the winter, and have never had a problem on a newer battery. An aging battery won’t fair too well from lack of use and cold of course, and a trickle charger could extend the battery’s life. However, I tend to start and run the car enough to keep a battery in good shape charged.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Audi TT

Well, since I didn't win the lotto last night :banghead and I don't feel like having a $500 a month car payment it looks like I will for sure be getting the Solstice. I would really love an audi tt but the solstice is nice too. I just want something sporty and cute. :blueangel I hope the solstice is at the autoshow so I can't take a picture of me in it and see how cute I look in it hee hee hee hee hee :blueangel

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I've actually heard bad thing about trickle chargers before too. They had a segment on MotorWeek tv show about them saying they can actually cause damage to the battery and car because the system isn't designed to have constant small charged flowing into the system at all times.

Not sure howtrue it is, just mentioning what they said. It's easy enough though to just undo the battery completely, and put some gas preserver in the tank to store it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
brentil said:
I've actually heard bad thing about trickle chargers before too. They had a segment on MotorWeek tv show about them saying they can actually cause damage to the battery and car because the system isn't designed to have constant small charged flowing into the system at all times.

Not sure howtrue it is, just mentioning what they said. It's easy enough though to just undo the battery completely, and put some gas preserver in the tank to store it.
Yeap. You definately don't want to use a trickle charger. The battery tender is a different animal. I understand it has circuitry that can tell when the battery has lost some of it's charge and then add a little bit to bring it back up to snuff. If the charge is up, it doesn't do anything except monitor.

Taking the battery out and storing it in the basement would work, too. So would going out and starting the car periodically. Being lazy, I went with the tender...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts