Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys wont believe the problems ive having with pontiac dealers around here! Most have seen my post about the first dealership. Now the 2nd dealership im talking to just told me they want 2k down with 2995.00 added to the price of the car. Talk about markup!

Any dealers on here want to tell me who I need to report them to? Should I call the eop program hotline and report them there? Anyone have any suggestions on what to do!

Im forced to go with my 1st dealer which I made the original post about. Atleast they are giving me the car at msrp even though I have to jump through hoops. Luckily for gm I have a strong interest in the car. Otherwise id be done with them and go get my acura!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
Billabongi said:
You guys wont believe the problems ive having with pontiac dealers around here! Most have seen my post about the first dealership. Now the 2nd dealership im talking to just told me they want 2k down with 2995.00 added to the price of the car. Talk about markup!

Any dealers on here want to tell me who I need to report them to? Should I call the eop program hotline and report them there? Anyone have any suggestions on what to do!

Im forced to go with my 1st dealer which I made the original post about. Atleast they are giving me the car at msrp even though I have to jump through hoops. Luckily for gm I have a strong interest in the car. Otherwise id be done with them and go get my acura!
I hope you have been following some of the recent posts since the dealer order program broadcast. Taking a deposit is suggested to the point of almost being a requirement, although $2K is a bit large. And selling at MSRP is not required anymore, only strongly encouraged.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Either keep looking for reasonable dealers or you'll have to wait for the dust to settle. Final EOP rules will be out soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been following the posts but isnt the rule still any dealers not selling at MSRP will have their future allocations of vehicles lowered? The entire point of this program was for the car to not end up like the gto and customers to not be pissed off for dealers gouging prices. I think ill give it one more week and see how my first dealer works out if I have no luck, Ill write to corporate telling them they lost a customer for life becuase they are represented by horrible dealers. Thats a bad position for them as im 22 and have owned 2 gm vehicles and had no problems looking at gm vehicles before. Im also involved in a lot of local clubs and have no issue spreading the word about bad dealerships and bad companies in general.

The deposit part is fine, although 2k is a lot for a dealer to sit on for 3-4 months while a customer waits on a car. Its the price gouge of 2995.00 im pissed about.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Billabongi said:
The deposit part is fine, although 2k is a lot for a dealer to sit on for 3-4 months while a customer waits on a car. Its the price gouge of 2995.00 im pissed about.
Let's see what the wording looks like on the final rules. Might be something in there you can beat them up over or pressure them with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
billabongi - give the autoway dealership a chance see what they will do, from what I understand they are not going to mark-up the price until at least the april 15th day (have no idea, but must be this long) the deposit is $500 - location is ClearWater. The only difference I had to sign that my 500 was non-refundable, losing only if i decided not to buy the car.... rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When are the final rules due out isnt that today or was the 29th important for something else?

Tampa, I may do that although that puts me 4th in line and a nice long trip come the 15th lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Billabongi - 4th in line does mean 4th for the 1/1000 just means after the 1000 are up if you didnt make it you are next out of the 3 ahead of you that may or may not have made it..So if you don't make it and we do ..then you're first after that. At least this is the information that I understand from my dealer.
By the way I marked april 4th for one of my "call dealer for more info" .. So the last bits of information should be available by then.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
Billabongi said:
I have been following the posts but isnt the rule still any dealers not selling at MSRP will have their future allocations of vehicles lowered? The entire point of this program was for the car to not end up like the gto and customers to not be pissed off for dealers gouging prices. I think ill give it one more week and see how my first dealer works out if I have no luck, Ill write to corporate telling them they lost a customer for life becuase they are represented by horrible dealers. Thats a bad position for them as im 22 and have owned 2 gm vehicles and had no problems looking at gm vehicles before. Im also involved in a lot of local clubs and have no issue spreading the word about bad dealerships and bad companies in general.
Selling at MSRP is not a requirement of the EOP. The dealership announcement materials (available here) mentioned that as one of the rules. But when the dealer order broadcast came on the 23rd, it was changed to strongly recommended. It should read that way in the release on the actual rules (which are due today).

Don't let the dealers bring you down. If you do not want to pay over MSRP, wait for it to be available at/ or below MSRP. But if you swear off all Manufacturers that have had dealers sell particular models above MSRP, you will find not many choices of cars to drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Great point Small Dealer.....why don't you offer to sell it to Billabongi for $500 above invoice and guarantee him one of your allotted 5. That would sure show alot about your integrity and create goodwill amongst the members here. Matter fact, maybe as a group we could put a volume order in for say 100 cars. How about it? why don't you work the allotment issue for a large order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
general said:
Great point Small Dealer.....why don't you offer to sell it to Billabongi for $500 above invoice and guarantee him one of your allotted 5. That would sure show alot about your integrity and create goodwill amongst the members here. Matter fact, maybe as a group we could put a volume order in for say 100 cars. How about it? why don't you work the allotment issue for a large order.
If you can find one of my earlier post, I went into great detail about this, almost a :brentil: and I think anyone here who read it will back me up. But for your sake, I'll say it here. I would rather sell 100 cars and make $100 each (usual flat commision for a sale w/ little/no profit, or a "mini") than sell 10 copys and make $1000 each for the long haul. The biggest voucher I've had to date is right around $700, that was with ext warranty, spec. fin., and paint protection + a few accy's. Any reputable dealer would say the same. With this car being a hot item, though, esp. in large markets, they are taking what they can get. I think Small Dealer and Myself are in the same boat, and would guess the Judge is too. I'll take volume over dollars any day, b/c it is sooooo much better in sooooo many ways. Besides that, at our store, we can't afford to mark-up over sticker b/c of demographics (NW Ohio, west of Toledo, lot's o' GM factories, and therefore family members, suppliers, etc.)

SmDealer, wanna split? :grouphug: Not plugging for a sale, but I know there are more people in the people biz, not just the car biz. AND, it's not always the salesman, it's the mgr/dealer to blame. We just do what we're told to. There is a movie about the "old days," (5 years ago,) and that's how it was. Every last cent. MOST dealers are not like that anymore, except huge metro areas, like SoCal, NYC, Houston, Detroit, Sea-Tac--you get the picture...the movie is called "Suckers." It's almost a requirement for us to watch on how NOT to be in our store. We try to find the vehicle that fit's the clients needs and that fits the budget. Movie is hard to find in a store, but got my DVD on amazon for $8 delivered. Maybe we could get together and have a movie nite.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
Guys, just be careful that it doesn't look like you are drumming up business before arranging with Troy to become "supporting dealer" I know you are all offering a lot of "support" but its two different things.

BTW I do see that GM would have probably had lawsuit brewing if they did legislate exact MSRP, the S is for SUGGESTED. Not all dealers will markup, some will sell to certain regulars for less (hoping), but everyone keep in mind, NO DEALER ANYWHERE IS GUARANTEED TO BE ABLE TO GET YOU ONE OF THE FIRST 1000. PERIOD, Not until the dust settles on the 15th, anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats my point. Its ludacris they are trying to do the exact same thing they did to the GTO. Didnt they learn the first time? Im going to sent my complaint to wherever I can at gm and up the chain of the dealer I had the trouble with. Id imagine I get a reply back from one of the 2 not that it will make a difference to me.

Guess Ill go with my first dealer and see where I end up on the 15th. I cant wait for regular allocation. My deadline is August, if I dont get a first 1000 for any various reason Im out of the GM Market for now and for the forseeable future untill GM can control their dealers.

As a former Business Owner of an Aftermarket Parts business, im well aware makers can say not to sell under or over a certain price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I,m in central Ohio and this will be my 7th purchase from this dealer, just for the fact they have always stood by their word. There are still some businesses that want a long sales relationship and not just a quick buck, unfortunately they are hard to find.
I went in on the 21st and put a $500.00 deposit down, they told me they will NOT mark it up above msrp. and fortunate for me they told me I am first in line but there are others interested and regardless how much someone else puts down I am still 1st.

That's why I continue to do business there.

I wish you the best!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
HYPUR said:
I,m in central Ohio and this will be my 7th purchase from this dealer, just for the fact they have always stood by their word. There are still some businesses that want a long sales relationship and not just a quick buck, unfortunately they are hard to find.
I went in on the 21st and put a $500.00 deposit down, they told me they will NOT mark it up above msrp. and fortunate for me they told me I am first in line but there are others interested and regardless how much someone else puts down I am still 1st.

That's why I continue to do business there.

I wish you the best!
I stopped in my dealer this afternoon and even after waffling a little on my part, I am still first in line (no money down required yet). They haven't received their regular allocation yet so they can't get into the after Apprentice ordering yet. They are looking forward to me coming in on the 15th.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Billabongi said:
Any dealers on here want to tell me who I need to report them to? Should I call the eop program hotline and report them there? Anyone have any suggestions on what to do!
Stop talking about reporting people. You have to remember that dealers shouldn't even be posting about this stuff. This is considered confidential by GM. Technically we could get in trouble if found out. Remember this doesn't actually start until 4/14. I don't blame you for being frustrated, but you'll just get even more pissed when they won't help.


Billabongi said:
I have been following the posts but isnt the rule still any dealers not selling at MSRP will have their future alocations of vehicles lowered?
Not even close, as small dealer keeps repeating, it is strongly recommended to sell at MSRP. A dealer will only loose an alocation if they somehow get one of the first 1000 and don't have a qualifying customer. That's not going to be easy. Pontiac is going to stay up on that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
jwvrod said:
Not even close, as small dealer keeps repeating, it is strongly recommended to sell at MSRP. A dealer will only loose an alocation if they somehow get one of the first 1000 and don't have a qualifying customer. That's not going to be easy. Pontiac is going to stay up on that.
:agree: Even if GM had some wording in their franchise agreements about MSRP as a maximum it would get thrown out in any court. I am in a franchise agreement in a parallel industry and suggested is just that. We charge MSRP and sometimes above if there is a trade involved but most times sell at below MSRP because we have a lot of competition for same products. When you have the only game in town you can get away with upcharging. The real key is to relax and wait even though that's hard to do. The guys who bought the new T-birds at 5k over and advertised them at 10k over got stuck. It is not like the Solstice is the only convertible in town, just until G6 retractable, the only Pontiac convertible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Keep searching for better dealer. Be willing to travel a little. One of my local dealers told me that they are planning on selling their regular alotment at MSRP because they would rather do volume. Appearently they kind of screwed themselves on the GTO, and that changed their mind on the Solstice. There are dealers that like doing volume. Find that dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
bigjon

I am quoting from program summary sent to dealers in March 2005. this is under "rule highlights"

" Dealer will be required to sell first 1000 exclusive Solstice vehicles
at MSRP, not above".

Decrease in future allotments is the result of price gouging.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top