Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,523 Posts
LOL Interesting but not likely. The Solstice cant compete directly with the Corvette and its designed to be a Miatta competitor. Softer and cuddlier. Retro.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Here's your 2nd gen Solstice.

It has a trunk, cupholders and in even in base 4-cylinder trim it'll run circles around a Kappa, and for less money.

Reactions: The_Ghost

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
That's like saying this was slated to be the next Fiero:

Reactions: Rocket3jjd

·
Registered
423 Posts
There were plenty of those claims (mostly satirically) when it debuted, along with a few more serious around here that claimed the convertible version as the spiritual successor to the Sky (two-seater, humps, rear-hinged decklid.)

I always loved how the rumors back in 2010 pegged the 2nd gen Sky as having a mid-engine V8 with dual clutch transmission costing around $100,000.

Reactions: The_Ghost

·
Registered
7,078 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
Here's your 2nd gen Solstice.

It has a trunk, cupholders and in even in base 4-cylinder trim it'll run circles around a Kappa, and for less money.
Except that there is one on every street corner and in every parking lot, it isn't as much fun to drive, and it will never get anywhere near as much attention, especially when it is 15 years old.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
735 Posts
hell I thought the newer vettes were just slightly advanced skys with more power. the new supra looks more like I would expect a new solstice look like.
when gm shcrewd up the 2.4 to make it a true turd that alone was a me~otta contender.when it should of bee in the hp range of the honda s2000 engine. witch i think may even be higer than the turbo solstice hp....well not quite but close. biden had to have the delaware factory for his scam so....away went these cars&companys. it is what it is.I doubt they will revive them. but really should for the ones who just cant afford a vette but still want a new one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 110639
I mean it depends on prospective. The C8 is doing a lot of the same things that the Fiero was doing at the time. A more affordable alternative to a European supercar. Hell the thing was nicknamed "The poor man's Ferrari"
I think, if GM has proved anything with the C8, it's that supercar performance doesn't have to be crazy expensive.
I mean hey, they've brought back the Hummer under the GMC name. It could be entirely possible that they could bring back either the Sky or Solstice if they wanted to go after the MX-5 and the upcoming S2000. But if they went the Solstice route, I think that my design would be fitting for a "modernized" Solstice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL Interesting but not likely. The Solstice cant compete directly with the Corvette and its designed to be a Miatta competitor. Softer and cuddlier. Retro.
If GM really wanted to take some S2000 and MX-5 sales, the Solstice would be a perfect name to bring from the dead. And this one in particular looks like it would be a hell of a weapon against those two if it were priced right. Too bad the Corvette is too much of a halo car for anything like this to be made.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I doubt they'd take many S2000 sales at this point...

Reactions: TomatoSoup

·
Registered
56 Posts
Money is not with 2-seater roadsters these days. Well unless if you are Porsche. We're in a transition era from ICE to electric eco-friendly car. Coming out with a brand new ICE 2-seater comes across as eco-irresponsible especially from a brand that does not have a strong established lineage in that realm (vs Porsche or Mazda).

·
Registered
570 Posts
Money is not with 2-seater roadsters these days. Well unless if you are Porsche. We're in a transition era from ICE to electric eco-friendly car. Coming out with a brand new ICE 2-seater comes across as eco-irresponsible especially from a brand that does not have a strong established lineage in that realm (vs Porsche or Mazda).
And actually even Porshe doesn't make that much money off of 2-seat cars anymore. Just look at these sales numbers by Models from July-Sep 2020. Yes they still sold 2,651 2-seat cars, but compare that with the 12,897 4-door cars & Suv's they sold in that time frame.

202020202019Difference
ModelJuly-September
ALL 9111,5671,701-7.9%
ALL 7181,0841,0483.4%
ALL TAYCAN1,858n/an/a
ALL PANAMERA1,0641,276-16.6%
ALL CAYENNE4,5094,3004.9%
ALL MACAN5,4666,480-15.6%

·
Registered
56 Posts
2-seaters are "halo" products. They are sexy shiny toys to entice the human emotions to draw them into the brand and showroom floor. That is why I do not think a bread 'n butter auto brand these days will have much success coming out with a new 2-seater unless a lineage has already been established. Where do you put your R&D funds when global regulations and societal culture demand eco-friendly automotive solutions?

@rob the elder
GM just rebranded itself as electric powered brand.
I don't think ICE is going away anytime soon. But the trend is definitely not in the growth path.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts