Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea why my 2.4L 06 Solstice with an Autowerks werks stage 1 kit that has been tuned by autowerks on the dyno a couple years ago would fall on it's face / lose power between 3,200-3,500 RPM while wot wide open throttle clutch engaged. It starts moving pretty good after 3,500.

I noticed some RPM graphs on google that was peak torque = peak ve. The gas is kind of old, is it ecu retard?

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
How old is "kind of old " ? Might want to run some fuel system cleaner in it like Chevron Techtron and fresh gas and see if that doesn't clear up the problem .Has the car been sitting for any length of time without a fuel stabilizer in the tank (Sta-bil) because gas will start to deteriorate after a couple of months and start to oxidize ,you also have to worry about condensation forming in your tank and fuel lines .Again I would throw some fresh gas in it add some type of fuel system cleaner and a fresh set of plugs and see what happens .

·
Registered
143 Posts
engine light ? bad gas will fuc.k the timing up for sure / will throw off the tune . If your fuel is older then 6 months could be entire issue

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If it hasn't been done, you do need to run Techron, or another good fuel system cleaner, if only to keep the fuel pump happy. Seems fuel with alcohol will slowly plug the intake screens. Also, fuel with alcohol will soak up water from the air vented into the tank and settle out into droplets, which also calls for fuel system cleaners.

The VVT normally creates a small dip in performance near that rpm range, but not enough to call it 'falling flat', IMO.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought it, the gas is probably close to a year old. I will bring a 5 gal of fresh premium with the fuel cleaner for the drive home. It has a check light but the previous owner said it was an issue with the dual aeroforce gauges that plug into the OBDII connector.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
It has a check light but the previous owner said it was an issue with the dual aeroforce gauges that plug into the OBDII connector.
That sounds incredible (in the true sense of the word).

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Gauges causing a CEL ? mmmmm stop at an Autozone ,Advance Auto ,type store and have them check your codes with a scanner if you don't have one then get back on the forum with the codes and we can tell you what the issue is or just unplug the gauge from the port if that's causing the problem it should clear the CEL .

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gauges causing a CEL ? mmmmm stop at an Autozone ,Advance Auto ,type store and have them check your codes with a scanner if you don't have one then get back on the forum with the codes and we can tell you what the issue is or just unplug the gauge from the port if that's causing the problem it should clear the CEL .
We'll put the [Cen-Tech - item#60794] to the test tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
We'll put the [Cen-Tech - item#60794] to the test tomorrow!
I've got one of those good tool to have , with the fuel system cleaner you will probably want to run 2 bottles of the stuff fill your tank run it till it's down to about a quarter tank . Never let it get below a quarter tank because strange things start to happen to these cars when people constantly run them to almost empty . Fill it up again and add the other bottle and make sure you run good gas and 93 octane because of the turbo kit and the tune this is what you should be using by the way did you unplug the gauges ?

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
If you need an O2 Sensor any large chain auto store (Advance Auto ,Auto Zone ,Napa, O'Reillys ) should carry them and if they don't have them in stock they should be able to get them by the next day they go from $50.00 to a little over $100.00 depending on the brand and of course the old standby Ebay .There are two sensors one before the converter (not to bad to get at ) and one after .You will need a special socket to remove them which the auto stores may be able to lend you or if you have a Harbor Freight in the area they sell the socket that's where I got mine .One other thing that you may want to look into is an Oxygen Sensor Extender I know some members were having issues with their O2 sensors on modified cars and this was the solution DDM Works carries them .You may want to do a forum search and read up on this . I have a Hann kit on my car and had to replace both sensors don't know if this has something to do with the addition of a turbo kit but to me it's no big deal I replaced the one before the cat and a year later had to replace the one after the cat .If the code ever pops up again I will replace both just for piece of mind .

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you need an O2 Sensor any large chain auto store (Advance Auto ,Auto Zone ,Napa, O'Reillys ) should carry them and if they don't have them in stock they should be able to get them by the next day they go from $50.00 to a little over $100.00 depending on the brand and of course the old standby Ebay .There are two sensors one before the converter (not to bad to get at ) and one after .You will need a special socket to remove them which the auto stores may be able to lend you or if you have a Harbor Freight in the area they sell the socket that's where I got mine .One other thing that you may want to look into is an Oxygen Sensor Extender I know some members were having issues with their O2 sensors on modified cars and this was the solution DDM Works carries them .You may want to do a forum search and read up on this . I have a Hann kit on my car and had to replace both sensors don't know if this has something to do with the addition of a turbo kit but to me it's no big deal I replaced the one before the cat and a year later had to replace the one after the cat .If the code ever pops up again I will replace both just for piece of mind .
Thanks for the reply. Autozone said it is a special order part, two different ones across town. Oreilys doesn't stock them either. I am quite surprised GM didn't use an existing O2 part from a higher volume vehicle.

I drove 44 miles in one trip this morning, no more codes (I cleared them before the journey). I get the code when I key off/on after running the car.

I am putting it on a hoist after work today to check it out. I don't even know if I have a cat :/

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
It shouldn't really be a "special order" but they should be able to get them in 24 hours. As Sting said - 60 to 110 bucks. He also makes a good point about the "bung extender" but I'd be surprised if you don't have it. From what I've read CEL are common with high flow cat convertors so I'd imagine it's already there (though I could be wrong.)

And, if you don't have a cat, then yeah, I guess it wouldn't be plugged!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It shouldn't really be a "special order" but they should be able to get them in 24 hours. As Sting said - 60 to 110 bucks. He also makes a good point about the "bung extender" but I'd be surprised if you don't have it. From what I've read CEL are common with high flow cat convertors so I'd imagine it's already there (though I could be wrong.)

And, if you don't have a cat, then yeah, I guess it wouldn't be plugged!
New O2 installed, same code...now it's probably electrical. I have to get that mitchell going and start troubleshooting. Need a wiring diagram

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Maybe these crimp connectors are why I threw a MAF code again after replacing the MAF

I soldered them now.
WTF happened there? Why the break (I wonder) and they were obviously 'crimped' using needle-nose pliers, rather than even a crimp tool. Man that would worry me about your car - I would wonder what else is left to find.

Tip: in future you should fan the wires, interlace and twist before soldering. Must stronger physical connection.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WTF happened there? Why the break (I wonder) and they were obviously 'crimped' using needle-nose pliers, rather than even a crimp tool. Man that would worry me about your car - I would wonder what else is left to find.

Tip: in future you should fan the wires, interlace and twist before soldering. Must stronger physical connection.
You won't believe this, after repairing the MAF I started to investigate the Oxygen Sensor 2. I noted the harness was crimped with a replacement body side connector. After digging up the wiring diagrams, I finally found out color vs. position on the connector. THE PINS WERE OUT OF ORDER!!

Oxygen sensor fixed

I also found a 10A emissions fuse and a 30A fuse blown the day before.

Let's be glad I acquired the car, Solstice Protective Services is here.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately, the stumble is still there. If I am in 3rd gear 3,200 RPM, WOT still yields a stumble.

I noticed the Aeroforce digital gauge displaying 8:1 A/F, but this is a narrow-band sensor.

I am working on getting a wideband hooked up. I have the Innovate LC-1 without a gauge, I am looking at the Innovate SCG-1 kit so I can get boost control, a wideband, and dual display gauge.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts