Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this been seen before? Looks like one bank of LED's have gone out on the 3rd brake light. I am sure it will pass inspection and it looks like an easy removal/replace, but wondered if the brain power here has already dealt with it and came up with a quick-fix.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Has this been seen before? Looks like one bank of LED's have gone out on the 3rd brake light. I am sure it will pass inspection and it looks like an easy removal/replace, but wondered if the brain power here has already dealt with it and came up with a quick-fix.
There are a couple of threads out there about the third brake light. Here is a thread by dannyboy that provides a write up and pictures:
How to remove 3rd breaklight

Others have found their issue(s) with the third brake light being a loose or disconnected plug.
found out today during state inspection my 3rd brake light out

To the best of my knowledge, the part number for the third brake light (lamp) is 15251244, but you may want to confirm this. Also believe this it is the same part for Solstice & 2008-2009 G6.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I bought a spare some time ago on ebay, pretty cheap. It's a sealed unit, but you could cut it along the seam and resolder new LEDs in place (probably only one LED in the chains has actually gone).

(Just checked on eBay - don't see any there for sale now)

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Soup - LED's are "polarity specific", are they not? May want to throw out a caution to test before soldering.

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
I checked and the Sol part was on the order of $30 but don't quote my. I found them on EBay for $7 and bought several. The spare for the Sky was just shy of $90 plus shipping.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I've searched everywhere online it seems and cannot find a decent priced 3rd light replacement... any suggestions?
... you could cut it along the seam and resolder new LEDs in place (probably only one LED in the chains has actually gone).
How many LEDs are you missing?

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I checked and the Sol part was on the order of $30 but don't quote my. I found them on EBay for $7 and bought several. The spare for the Sky was just shy of $90 plus shipping.
When I first got my SKY, I changed the 3rd brake light to a Solstice light. The SKY light is white when off, red when on. Solstice light is red when off or on. I wanted a red light to blend in with the color of the car. Perfect fit. I paid $7 back then, including shipping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea, I've been looking for the red high mounted brake light for my Chili Pepper SKY as well. (Really don't like the white one that came from the factory.) But there's nothing available for much less than $100 and certainly nothing near $7 now-a-days.

Hey, I know - any White or Silver Solstice owners wanna trade?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yea, I've been looking for the red high mounted brake light for my Chili Pepper SKY as well. (Really don't like the white one that came from the factory.) But there's nothing available for much less than $100 and certainly nothing near $7 now-a-days.

Hey, I know - any White or Silver Solstice owners wanna trade?
Or you can use Nite Shades red tint spray paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts