Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. How many coats for the interior door handles, and do I have to strip the faux chrome off of them?

2. Can it be used for the engine cover, or will it melt off?

3. I want to put some around the shifter area. The factory "paint" there is looking pretty bad. I have it stripped down to the gray plastic. Good or bad idea to put it there?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I would do 5 coats on the handles, you do not have to strip the chrome off.

I (and many others) have plasti dipped our calipers, it holds up perfectly. I do not know the temperature calipers get vs under the hood, but as a reference, it holds up on calipers.

If you paint around the shifter area, I would strongly suggest removing it from the car first...then I see no reason why it wouldn't be completely fine

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would do more than 5 coats on your door handles. Pulling on them will be tough on the Plastidip. I believe the minimum my parts have is 7 coats.

For the engine cover, no problem.

For around the shifter, if you mask things off you don't have to remove it. Mine wasn't removed...

I'm trying to think how it looks in the Solstice but if your leg rubs against it when you drive I would put a lot more coats on it than 5...I think he put about 9 on mine to hold up to wear.

The guy who did mine has been doing it professionally for a few years and his work really holds up to wear well. He does whole cars with the stuff. I had my window frame, grill, tulip panel, badges, and headlights done as well as the center consol.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Robo: Brilliant, informed response, and your car looks great man. I would guess the engine cover is going to require the 7 to 9 coats as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
@Robo: are those the enkei wheels?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used paint the first time and in the picture you see. I cleaned and primed it well. I used heat paint. It has lasted two years, but now is starting to flake badly. I am now going with PlastiDip.That is the name: PlastiDip. It comes in orange too. Lowes has it. Home Depot has it. Get the spray can and not the liquid which you brush on. Costs about 6.00 out the door. I am doing my door handles (in black) as we speak. I will post pics later, and will post pics of the new engine cover work when I start on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts