Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So will solstice be offered with only painted wheels at introduction, or will be have an option of painted or high polished with actual chrome-plated wheels to follow later on?

In other words will they eventually be offering both polished AND chrome (as in two seperate options) wheels?

Dealers? Care to ask GM directly for us?

·
Registered
338 Posts
2KWK4U said:
So will solstice be offered with only painted wheels at introduction, or will be have an option of painted or high polished with actual chrome-plated wheels to follow later on?

In other words will they eventually be offering both polished AND chrome (as in two seperate options) wheels?

Dealers? Care to ask GM directly for us?
Two. Painted wheels only for 1st 1000.

If you check out my post toward that dispells the A/C myth, it will also state that there only 2 options not available for early order, chrome wheels, and auto. The chrome wheels will not be available until the regular units hit the lots, auto in Spring 06. BTW, that an answer comes from Pontiac Div, so it's 100% true.

post to follow:

http://solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451&page=3

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, conejo148. Actually that post was what prompted my question. So is there no distinction made between polished and chrome? The ones making the autoshow rounds are hi-polished aluminum, NOT chrome. There IS a difference.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
From what I have seen, I think these will be the wheel options and when they are available:

Right away:
Silver painted aluminum
Clear coated polished aluminum.

Late availability in Sept 2005
Chrome plated aluminum (late availability due to supplier issues)

It may have changed since I last saw updates on this information, but from everything I have seen I believe this, or something close to this, still stands.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I digress...

2KWK4U said:
Thanks, conejo148. Actually that post was what prompted my question. So is there no distinction made between polished and chrome? The ones making the autoshow rounds are hi-polished aluminum, NOT chrome. There IS a difference.
Yep, ur right. :agree: We get so many people asking for chrome in the showroom, it confuses us sometimes. Most new vehicle come with polished alum. now. But, according to the order guide, polished wheels (not chrome,) and painted are the 2 options as of now, not to imply that there might be another option. Something I suggested to a client who has placed a deposit, is that when we order for our lot allocation, we might order one with POLISHED ALUMINUM ;) , and switch out his tires and rims, giving him his tires, and the new rims, and then re-invoice the one left on the lot. I think it would only cost him the up-charge, and maybe $10-20 to remount. BUT, I have to talk to my boss first. (My only client is a forum reader, so I haven't forgot to ask.) He may have to wait a while, if we can do it, but he can get the best of both worlds there. I warn anybody considering asking thier chosen dealer, that most will not even consider this, due to possible rim damage, etc.

link as of 10:01 EST:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2005&regionID=1&divisionID=7&type=0&vehicleID=2053&section=wheels&page=&butID=4

Thank you for the reference.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There is a limited supplier base to do the plating on wheels. The get chrome for the Solstice, basically what has to happen is that they have to de-allocate some chrome wheels from another car.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
bigd said:
There is a limited supplier base to do the plating on wheels. The get chrome for the Solstice, basically what has to happen is that they have to de-allocate some chrome wheels from another car.
Ahhh, and since this is low volume niche car, I bet it's hard to justify stealing Chrome alotments from other car lines like Cady for example.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Fformula88 said:
They should steal the allocation from the G6. Nobody is buying the expensive high end models right now anyway.
Actually, at the risk of offending some, the G6's are moving at a pretty good clip. But, yeah, those sleds can wait for chrome. :agree:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts