Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another forum member (to remain anonymous, in case he cares) who purchased his car from the same dealer as myself informed me that they charged a $299.00 Dealer's Fee. To me, that seems exorbitant. He explained it had something to do with paint protection, etc. In my opinion, the car arrives from the factory with all that it needs. I don't need a $299 paint protection to be added.

Just wondering how I should address this with the dealer. My car is in transit and should arrive soon. I'd like to refute this charge and deal with it before my car gets to the dealership. How exactly -- or on what basis -- does one refute these sort of dealer fees? Obviously I've waited 6+ months for this car, so I'm not going to walk away over $300. Nor am I trying to screw the dealer (in case you are reading, Small Dealer and Cricket). I just want to pay a fair price and want to know when and where I should object.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
newfan said:
Another forum member (to remain anonymous, in case he cares) who purchased his car from the same dealer as myself informed me that they charged a $299.00 Dealer's Fee. To me, that seems exorbitant. He explained it had something to do with paint protection, etc. In my opinion, the car arrives from the factory with all that it needs. I don't need a $299 paint protection to be added.

Just wondering how I should address this with the dealer. My car is in transit and should arrive soon. I'd like to refute this charge and deal with it before my car gets to the dealership. How exactly -- or on what basis -- does one refute these sort of dealer fees? Obviously I've waited 6+ months for this car, so I'm not going to walk away over $300. Nor am I trying to screw the dealer (in case you are reading, Small Dealer and Cricket). I just want to pay a fair price and want to know when and where I should object.

Any suggestions?
If it's a Doc Fee, and Doc Fee's are unregualted in your state, then basically the dea;er can charge what they want in this fee. Basically it's a way for them to add profit. If it was a fee for paint protection, etc., then it's a fee that should be negotiable.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Dude, it's fine. I didn't like it when I first saw it on the order back in June...

But lemme tell you. When you go there and see YOUR car, you don't care about a measly 300 bucks!

I just wanted to hurry up and get everything over with so I could drive it!

Besides, what's 300 bucks when you're spending 25 THOUSAND?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Well, it could be worse ... some dealers are charging more. Mine was $599 ... seemed awfully high to me, but I just wanted to get in my car. At least it's better than the thousands some dealers are marking up the cars. But it's still worth a shot to see if you can talk the dealer out of it ... or request that you get the car as delivered from the factory with no prep so that you can do your own Zaino treatment or something.

If you're curious what others paid in fees, check out my old thread ...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5921

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
The $599-$595 price is common in Florida.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LatinVenom said:
The $599-$595 price is common in Florida.
In that case, I suppose I won't bother contesting $300 that strongly. Just wanted to hear what others thought...

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
My FL dealer charges ZERO dealer fees. They are in no way required fees, just fees the dealer tacks on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have a written contract with a deposit and signature by both you and the dealer the fees, taxes and registration have all been listed. That's a written contract, any addons are addons after the sale.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Same here

brentil said:
My FL dealer charges ZERO dealer fees. They are in no way required fees, just fees the dealer tacks on.

:agree:

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I am not talking about add ons, but the processing charge to sell you the car.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
LatinVenom said:
I am not talking about add ons, but the processing charge to sell you the car.
I think what they're saying is that these fees are negotiable too. They aren't mandatory, and some states do not allow them. Other states regulate the amount of the fee. I'm guessing that dealers argue that it helps them recover processing costs, or something to that effect.

·
Registered
976 Posts
All states laws are different regarding the dealer doc. fees. In the state of Missouri, it is neither lawful nor unlawful to charge a dealer documentation fee but the ydo have caps on what they can charge. Check with your Local Gov't offices for correct info for your state. It also states in that law that if you ever start charging a Doc. fee, you cannot charge it to select customers. Everyone that walks through the door must be charged.

If the dealer represents this fee as In payment for services rendered (ie..Undercoating, paint protection, etc) the dealer must waive these fees if the customer wishes that the services not be rendered.

Hope this clears that up.... Questions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just got an e-mail from a dealer in my area. stated he could get me a solstice "sometime next year" (no duh!!) and that he would only charge me 1000.00 over MSRP. i politely declined the offer. explained i am working with another dealer who can have me one late spring/early summer AT MSRP. i trust this dealer because i have bought 2 cars from them in the past, so i don't think they want to lose my business by lying to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts