Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read the excellent Automobile article about the Solstice. (Nice cover photo by the way - with a caption something like 'Pontiac Solstice screams "BUY ME!"' - Very cool).

They quoted one of the engineers in there that they planned to take the Kappa architecture to 300hp, likely through turbo and/or supercharing.

So - possibly three versions of the Solstice are on the way? 170hp, 240hp and 300hp?

I would think a 300hp version could be a real Boxster/Z4/TT killer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey!

With the power to weight ratio, 300 horsepower would allow the Solstice to be in Vette territory. I would prefer a supercharger for the low end grunt. Any thoughts about the price of a 300 hp pocket rocket Solstice? The rear differential and axles in the technical picture gallery look awefully spindley to handle more than 170 hp. Kinda like the Spitfire with its awe inspiring 68 hp 1500cc engine and tiny drivetrain that blows out with the application of 68 hp, much less more hp!

Does anyone currently "hot rod" the 2.4 liter? I was curious if there was an aftermarket of camshafts and such.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those links are awesome! The only problem is I am sure more than the base price of $20,000 for the Solstice was spent on turbos alone. I'm sure the gas guzzler tax would apply for a new Solstice with the 800 hp option box checked from the factory. :smile Can you only imagine how quickly the gas tank would be sucked dry?

I was thinking more along the lines of zippy performance, not wrath of God type of power. :smile

·
Registered
2 Posts
That would kick azz if the solstice put out 300 hp i know the crossfire roadster is getting a trim level to bump its power up to 330

As far as 2.4 hot rods my buddy has a turboed cavy that runs the 1/4 in 12 seconds on 15 psi i am going to slap the s/c on mine and run 8 psi hopefully build up the moter to get into the low 13's

·
Registered
535 Posts
GM made sure the Ecotecs were very stout. I have an article explaining how GM engineers were given orders to take it up to 1000hp in testing and to resolve weaknesses along the way. The stock motor can take a fair bit of boost before you run into failures.

·
Registered
535 Posts
GMFan said:
So, aftermarket turbos sound like a likely possibility if they can be fit in?
I would say so, though right now it's mostly S/C's available for the ecotec. With a F/R layout I can't see space being an issue. There has been some incredible systems developed for transverse V6's though it often does require some relocation. Personally, I think a Centrifugal S/C would work quite well on the Solstice.:wink

Here is 2.2 Ecotec S/C setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't heard anything about 300 HP but they are talking about a supercharged version for around 25k. As for the rear axle not handling the power. The rear axle is from the CTS Cadillac and it puts out 255 HP and I'm sure that Cadillac isn't living on the edge of what the axle can handle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I highly doubt GM wil produce this car with 300 hp. That means a 25-29k area for a sports car that may be only a yard short of the Corvette. GM will put a cap in anything's ass within its own division if it effects might be close to the Corvette performance wise. I am surpirised they gave the GTO as much power as they did or the Caddy CTS v-series. They are just slightly slower than the premium (what are they call the more performance vette for the next generation?) Vette in a quarter mile.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Forget any thoughts of an aftermarket turbo - those configs require lots of thought and engineering know how and would
seem to have bleak prospects compared to an aftermarket SC.
It took Reeves Callaway quite a lot of work to come up with the twin turbo Vette years ago. There are lots of plumbing issues, space issues and heat issues when turbos are desired. I'd always go with the SC, regardless.

·
Registered
281 Posts
theBike45 said:
Forget any thoughts of an aftermarket turbo - those configs require lots of thought and engineering know how and would
seem to have bleak prospects compared to an aftermarket SC.
It took Reeves Callaway quite a lot of work to come up with the twin turbo Vette years ago. There are lots of plumbing issues, space issues and heat issues when turbos are desired. I'd always go with the SC, regardless.
if you mean a centrifugal SC, then i agree. plumbing is simple relative to a TC and its quite a bit more thermally efficient that a roots.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts