Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bringing this back up 6 years later;
Hello all, I've got an 07 GXP that I'm about to do a Balancer chain guide replacement on and figured while I've got it apart, may as well do some simple mods.
I too am trying to reach that magic 300HP. I'm planning on doing the GMPP tune but was wondering if there is ANY benefit to getting the non-squished intercooler charge tubes and an RPM Motorsports IC?
I'd like to keep the Turbo stock if possible but will look to replace the cat with a high-flow model if it's confirmed that that helps. I live outside of Seattle, WA if there's any good mechanics to help in my quest you could recommend.
Hoping I can revive this forum; you all are the heart and soul of this car now days :).

·
Super Moderator
6,727 Posts
You should look at other tunes (Trifecta, DDM, Werks, et al) since they generally offer more power. The GMPP tune is conservative because it was fully warranted by GM.

The consensus has been that the stock intake is about as efficient as anything you can replace it with, so new tubes probably won't give you much.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
I'd forget the IC tubes and IC - no more power there, BUT they would allow you to maintain maximum power longer if you were doing back to back solo runs, for instance. In normal driving, no real benefit.

Go with the basic Trifecta or another tune rather than the GMPP as you will hit your target in the low 300s with that tune (maybe 310 vs. GMPP @ 290). I have run both and can attest to the very obvious bump in power the Trifecta gives you over the GMPP.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you

I want this to still be a daily driver. I was going to go with the GMPP tune simply because I thought it would be less wear on the engine for long trips etc. Is the Trifecta tune generally considered "safe" (of course knowing full well I could destroy any tuned car with excessive bad driving).
Thanks all.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
In fact logs of the GMPP often show more knock than the basic Trifecta tune. I don't know that anyone has had any damage from that Trifecta tune - mine was on the car from Spring of 2010.

·
Super Moderator
6,727 Posts
There are a lot of cars with similar tunes that haven't had any problems, so yes it is considered safe. And the GMPP tune will not get you to 300hp.

As Bill suggested, you will probably want to stay with the "basic" tune.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
The high flow cat will give you gains. A catless downpipe will give even more gains. Most other things are said to not give any gains.

I felt like my automatic became more fun to drive after I got a TCM tune from Dave at PAW - in regards to a noticable change.

The phenolic spacers from PAW claim to add hp. They definitely make my intake more cool.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What would be the purpose of having a better intercooler like the one RPM offers? I can definitely see the advantage of the non-crimped charge tubes at high RPM (unless I'm way off there) but is the stock intercooler restrictive at all?
The biggest advantage to the charge tubes and the CAI would be looks and noise of course but any possible advantage otherwise?
Thanks again SO much for humoring me here. I'll be looking into the Trifecta per your all's recommendations :)

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
What would be the purpose of having a better intercooler like the one RPM offers? I can definitely see the advantage of the non-crimped charge tubes at high RPM (unless I'm way off there) but is the stock intercooler restrictive at all?
The biggest advantage to the charge tubes and the CAI would be looks and noise of course but any possible advantage otherwise?
Thanks again SO much for humoring me here. I'll be looking into the Trifecta per your all's recommendations :)
If you drive normally, getting on the gas and then driving normally for a while before nailing it again, the answer is that a larger IC will have no advantage. If you compete in solo events with back to back runs, there might not be enough time between runs for cool down, in which case the larger IC would give you more margin.

The tubes look nicer, and eliminate one possible failure mode (plastic fitting that breaks off frequently) but no significant restriction in flow until you head for the 400 bhp+ club. I hanged ine knowing this just because I disliked the shabby look of the stock product.

You won't get added noise from the IC and tubes alone, but you will from the replacement of the stock air cleaner and tract with the GM sports version that does less silencing. Then you get turkey gobbling noises from the turbo stuff that some like and some just endure. If you do go for a 'cold air' intake, be aware that there are several that give less power and more issues than the dead stock air box does. The factory GMPP intake has no shortcomings and I believe that the DDM system is also good. Beware of others and check out whether anyone has had trouble with them.

And for info on them see GMPP Cold Air Intake 2008 GXP noise

·
Registered
221 Posts
I ran the canned Trifecta tune for around 23k miles with no issues. If you have E85 available, that and a custom tune will be your best bang for the buck gains. I personally wouldn't bother changing any hardware unless you put a larger turbo in there.

·
Registered
221 Posts
In fact logs of the GMPP often show more knock than the basic Trifecta tune. I don't know that anyone has had any damage from that Trifecta tune - mine was on the car from Spring of 2010.
I have to say that after about 45,000 miles now of driving a modified solstice I'm becoming more of the opinion that KR of less than 2.5 deg probably doesn't mean anything. The caveat to that is mine is a 2007 which [email protected] tells me is more sensitive to KR than the later ECUs. Even Matt doesn't seem to be concerned about small levels of KR.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you drive normally, getting on the gas and then driving normally for a while before nailing it again, the answer is that a larger IC will have no advantage. If you compete in solo events with back to back runs, there might not be enough time between runs for cool down, in which case the larger IC would give you more margin.

The tubes look nicer, and eliminate one possible failure mode (plastic fitting that breaks off frequently) but no significant restriction in flow until you head for the 400 bhp+ club. I hanged ine knowing this just because I disliked the shabby look of the stock product.

You won't get added noise from the IC and tubes alone, but you will from the replacement of the stock air cleaner and tract with the GM sports version that does less silencing. Then you get turkey gobbling noises from the turbo stuff that some like and some just endure. If you do go for a 'cold air' intake, be aware that there are several that give less power and more issues than the dead stock air box does. The factory GMPP intake has no shortcomings and I believe that the DDM system is also good. Beware of others and check out whether anyone has had trouble with them.

And for info on them see GMPP Cold Air Intake 2008 GXP noise
I live near Mt. Rainier and the entire reason I bought it was to drive it "spiritedly" up the mountain passes. I do think based on what you're saying that it MAY help a LITTLE in keeping the power up for extended periods..

I ran the canned Trifecta tune for around 23k miles with no issues. If you have E85 available, that and a custom tune will be your best bang for the buck gains. I personally wouldn't bother changing any hardware unless you put a larger turbo in there.
Unfortunately there's only ONE E85 station and it's nearly an hour away :-(. Washington state doesn't get much Ethanol love. LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,727 Posts
I live near Mt. Rainier and the entire reason I bought it was to drive it "spiritedly" up the mountain passes. I do think based on what you're saying that it MAY help a LITTLE in keeping the power up for extended periods..
A larger intercooler will help in autocross because the lower speed means that less outside air is flowing across it, and the larger surface area provides more cooling for the same airflow. A run up a mountain pass is presumably going to be done at significantly higher speed, so the outside airflow will be more proportional to the heat that you are trying to dissipate, and a larger intercooler is going to be less likely to be of value.

It is pretty easy to determine if you do need more cooling by watching the Intake Air Temperature and comparing it to the Outside Air Temperature. If the gap between them gets excessively large during your run, you know you need more cooling, and by comparing the difference before and after you make the change you will know how effective your investment was.

On the other hand, if MAY and LITTLE are enough to justify the expense, go for it. The only thing it will hurt is your wallet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You all are fantastic. Thanks so much for the honest info here.
I think you're absolutely right. It's mostly for vanity and to keep up (looks-wise) with my Subaru friends out here in the Pacific Northwest, lol.
I think I'll first do the charge tubes since THOSE are very obvious and I agree with one of you who said you just couldn't keep those horrible looking stock ones, lol.
Thanks all. Currently plan is to build it out hardware-wise then slap a Trifecta tune on her and watch her go!

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
The other 'vanity' mod I did was to remove the plastic engine cover and eventually to get a DDM powder coated cam cover, which also made things look neater under there. And the GMPP intake/filter as well.

engine.jpg

101 - 118 of 118 Posts