Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Much For The Break In Rules!! #307

OK, I am still out of breath from the EXCITEMENT, so if I ramble a little - I just can't help myself - "kid in a candy store" just isn't strong enough of an expression to explain this feeling.

First, since the history of getting this car was frustrating at times, I must say that the dealer has been absolutely fantastic since we worked through the misunderstanding regarding the aftermarket parts. He regularly kept me in the loop & helped me through the wait to get the car. Pontiac home office has also ben TREMENDOUS!! So, thanks to all at the dealership & Pontiac for helping to keep my sanity. Also, thanks to all on the forumn who dedicate so much time & energy to help the overall Solstice & GM community. I've never in my life experienced such dedicated & pasionate people willing to give friendly advise to others. :grouphug:

Now for the review - It's important for everyone to know that I have a racing background - Since getting married 10 years ago & working so much, I haven't actually raced in awhile, but I grew up racing go carts, sprint cars, etc...which gives me a pretty good perspective on a cars handling, power, etc.....In a word - this Solstice is UNBELIEVABLE!!!! :willy: Pound for Pound, the best fighter ever, for you boxing fans.

I've now put 200 miles on the car - I'd say about 100 of these miles are near red line or above - just can't contain myself. So, if you are high on babying the break in period for a car - don't ever buy # 307 if you see it for sale.

This car has been pushed around corners, up hills, down hills, every direction I can hammer it & all I can say again is UNBELIEVABLE!!! :yesnod:

The Sol doesn't have Porshe like power, but the overall ride & handling is hands down better in my opinion & I have been driving my neighbors 911 cabriolet for the last several weeks while waiting for my Sol.

I've been asked if this car was the new ferarri, asked if it was a maseratti, asked the price by everyone & watched their faces in disbelieve when I told them less than 25K. Keep in my, I live in an extremely affluent area - people here have enough $$$ to buy anything & everything they want - bently, rolls, ferrari's, lambo's, ford gt's, everything made is within this community & people can't stop looking at this car!!!

I'll have to report back later - I just can't sit here any longer with the Sol in the garage waiting - smoke & ash are falling everywhere outside from the wildfires within miles from my home, but who cares - I just can't stay off the road - I'll report back later.

Any questions - I'll try to update - I don't want to repeat past info. I'm in Lake Sherwood, CA - for those that don't know Lake Sherwood - its directly between LA, Santa Barbara, & Malibu - right next to Hidden Valley where the top down driving is like no place in the world!!

If some of you in the area want to see, touch, drive, etc...throw out some suggestions on time & place & I'll be back in touch. The next few days are pretty busy, but I'll make some time in the next couple of weeks to meet somewhere in the area.

WOW!!

USA ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh man, you're killing me! Now I won't be able to sleep at all. Mine is on the road somewhere heading to 101 North.

I have some great twisties up here in wine country where I push my modified Bimmer 840 hard. It is going to be fun to make the comparison. Bit concerned about the 4 banger. I'm so used to big torque I'm considering doing the Mallet conversion. Only problem is they are way back in Ohio or someplace and I'm not too anxious to add to the wait game any more. Maybe just order a base model with nothing on it to send back to drop in the V8 for fun and games. Wonder if I could order a Sol without an engine...

·
Registered
91 Posts
:lol: :glol: Sounds like someone's in love! I really enjoyed reading your review, you can totally tell how excited you are! It read exactly like "a kid in a candy store" or on Christmas morning. I don't know how anyone could keep a car like that in their garage, go have some fun!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
JetBlackE31 said:
Oh man, you're killing me! Now I won't be able to sleep at all. Mine is on the road somewhere heading to 101 North.
You know for that for sure, JetBlackE31? I noticed you posted earlier today in another thread that you weren't expecting your car until mid October.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
USA Millionaire said:
I've now put 200 miles on the car - I'd say about 100 of these miles are near red line or above - just can't contain myself. So, if you are high on babying the break in period for a car - don't ever buy # 307 if you see it for sale.
Just don't go bitching to the world later if you start having problems, that Pontiacs are total crap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just seen car number 270 on display at the dealer.
I Can wait at 3000 and not moving.
The person that bought the car is now trying to sell it for $35000.
What a D*ck. Here we are waiting for ours to arive and he selling his.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
USA,
I've got over 2200 miles on my car so far. It keeps running better and better. You won't believe how it comes to life after you get a couple of hundred more miles on it. Enjoy!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, the wife & I took a trip to Orange County today to visit friends. This was straight highway driving about 2 hours both ways - another couple hundred miles added to the Sol, but this time a different type of driving.

The car drives and handles awesome. It is smooth, comfortable, & overall just a pleasurable car to drive. With the wife, we discovered that the monsoon speaker provides a nice massage with the base thumping (something I wouldn't have known just driving the car myself) - she got a little tired of getting thumped in the back so we turned the base completely off on the drive home. The center cupholder is probably the least desirable item on the entire car so far. It isn't very good as a drink holder, it looks very cheap compared to the rest of the car & it pops open when my elbow hits get into the car - I would've prefered only having the 3rd cup holder & forgetting the center one all together (I don't like how cheap it looks & feels).

Believe me, I understand the price point of the car & I love love love the overall drive & ride - just would've prefered to leave out the cheap plastic useless parts as much as possible.

We averaged about 25 miles per gallon on our trip today. Highway driving was giving us about 28+, but we got caught in traffic on the way back so the overall went down to 25 - still fantastic given the overall value of this car.

About 500 miles put on the Sol in a couple of days - can't find much to complain about, except I wish the sun stayed out longer.

My friend in Orange County that we visited has a 911 Turbo with a Tech Art package (over a 100K) - we drove both cars & even my friend agreed the Solstice had a better overall ride quality. Certainly the perfomance isn't comparable, but we also got more looks, questions, & admoration in the 25K Solstice than we did in the 100K 911 - imagine that!!

An absolute home run for GM & Pontiac. I couldn't be more proud to drive this American car than anything else on the road for overall value!!

Patience all - the wait is well worthwhile!! :yesnod:

I'll update again later with some photos when I get more time!!

USA

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
USA, as a friend of mine says, and he can't explain its origin "Cool beans!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts