Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this true? I am 200lbs and most of my friends are of the same weight. i can easy go over that limit by 50-75lbs easy. What is the risk of going over the limit? will it damage the car? make handling bad? Why do they have this so called limit? :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
LTDANMAN44 said:
Is this true? I am 200lbs and most of my friends are of the same weight. i can easy go over that limit by 50-75lbs easy. What is the risk of going over the limit? will it damage the car? make handling bad? Why do they have this so called limit? :(

Sounds like your sol will act like it's going uphill. Just kidding, I am the same weight as you but I am not too concerned with this. Just mean it won't go 140mph with you and a friend.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
there was a thread on this about a month or so back. I think the general consensus was "NO FAT CHICKS". I may be wrong though... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Well i'm 250 pounds (body builder) I guess the wife will just have to stand in the drive way and watch me go! ;) :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Well then I guess my wife and I shouldn't ride together. Our combined weight is over 400 lbs. That 350 lb thing can't be serious. It's got to be some sort of legal BS to get them out of issues or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
350 lb

I was thinking about the weight thing also. We (200 lb'ers) may just have to keep the gas tank 1/2 full as apposed to 1/2 empty depending on the passenger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
glider rider said:
I was thinking about the weight thing also. We (200 lb'ers) may just have to keep the gas tank 1/2 full as apposed to 1/2 empty depending on the passenger.
Say's close to the same thing for the miata. No big deal is what was said by forum members that had miatas. It wouldn't harm anything.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Just be glad you don't own a MX-5, all it can handle is 340 lbs accoridng to the sticker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
I'm bringing this thread back around again because I got to thinking about this. Just my opinion, but I think this 350 pound thing is just legal BS. I'd like to know otherwise though, so if anyone knows for sure please chime in.

I took a look at my Murano today, and it says 860 pounds. So using 3 cars I know (and please add more if you know yours):

Solstice = 350 / 2 people = 175 per person
Miata = 340 / 2 people = 170 per person
Murano = 860 / 5 people = 172 per person

I'm thinking the car companies use an "official" average weight per person of around 170 pounds and claim this as the maximum capacity for 2 reasons. This way they can use a lower maximum weight in the car when doing governmental testing and reporting, and it covers their butts when/if legal action ever insues. But they would be stupid not to design their vehicles to be able to handle more than that rating. If it was such a big deal in a car like the Solstice, then you would think it would be made blatently obvious at the time of the sale.

I frequently used to go to lunch with 3 large guys at work in my Murano. I'm guessing at the actual weights, but one was about 200, one was about 280, one told me he weighed 460 (BIG BOY!), and I'm about 230. That's 1170 pounds, or 310 pounds over maximum! Now I will say that the engine did have to pull harder and it road a little rougher, but it still went just fine and I didn't notice any handling issues.

To make a long story short, in my opinion, going over the maximum weight rating (within reason) is not going to break your car or even hurt it, it's just going to hamper it's performance somewhat.

Like I said in the beginning, anyone else have some hard facts on this topic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
mceb said:
I'll vote legal BS.
:agree:

I wonder if they (car compaines in general) have ever tried to use this in accident lawsuits? If not, it probably has more to do with crash tests and fuel economy testing :leaving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
Bonzo said:
I'm bringing this thread back around again because I got to thinking about this. Just my opinion, but I think this 350 pound thing is just legal BS. I'd like to know otherwise though, so if anyone knows for sure please chime in.

I took a look at my Murano today, and it says 860 pounds. So using 3 cars I know (and please add more if you know yours):

Solstice = 350 / 2 people = 175 per person
Miata = 340 / 2 people = 170 per person
Murano = 860 / 5 people = 172 per person

I'm thinking the car companies use an "official" average weight per person of around 170 pounds and claim this as the maximum capacity for 2 reasons. This way they can use a lower maximum weight in the car when doing governmental testing and reporting, and it covers their butts when/if legal action ever insues. But they would be stupid not to design their vehicles to be able to handle more than that rating. If it was such a big deal in a car like the Solstice, then you would think it would be made blatently obvious at the time of the sale.

I frequently used to go to lunch with 3 large guys at work in my Murano. I'm guessing at the actual weights, but one was about 200, one was about 280, one told me he weighed 460 (BIG BOY!), and I'm about 230. That's 1170 pounds, or 310 pounds over maximum! Now I will say that the engine did have to pull harder and it road a little rougher, but it still went just fine and I didn't notice any handling issues.

To make a long story short, in my opinion, going over the maximum weight rating (within reason) is not going to break your car or even hurt it, it's just going to hamper it's performance somewhat.

Like I said in the beginning, anyone else have some hard facts on this topic?
Actually it's the passengers X 150 lbs, plus the maximum trunk capacity in cu. ft. X about 10-15 lbs or something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Just checked my 330Ci rated for five passengers 1058 lbs = 211.6 lbs per passenger.
V70 990 lbs for five = 198lb each

I guess Germans and Swedes are bigger than Americans. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
This whole weight limit thing is a total trip. I think it may have more to do with affecting the gas millage estimates on the window sticker more than anything else, as well as maybe performance (0-60 times).

I wonder if you had an issue with the car under warranty and it was determined that too much weight had something to do with the cause, that they would not honor the warranty?

Sounds like some crazy stuff to me.

I mean a guy weighing 200 lbs is very common and a super model can weigh 120. Allow 12 lbs for the clothes on their backs that's like 332. That basically means the 2 of you could forget about bringing your own bowling balls to the alley. But then again if I had a Supermodel, I wouldn't go bowling :D

Just crazy I tell ya.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Weight Limit Concerns

Taking a guess here (I am a ship driver, not an engineer) I think its more about stability and the inherent change in the center of gravity the has the engineers concerned. In the sea going world, high weight is bad and low weight (within reason!) is good. Weight that can shift around (no matter where!) is very bad! In the Sol, people sitting in it will necessarily raise the center of gravity of the vehicle and have an effect on handling. What little weight you might stuff in the trunk (unless its lead) will have little effect and is located pretty low in the vehicle. In as much as the engineers knew or guessed how most drivers will push a roadster around some, probably exceeding their driving ability, they were probably leaning on the side of safety and held the weight limits down. Just my uneducated guess. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
fizzer said:
This whole weight limit thing is a total trip. I think it may have more to do with affecting the gas millage estimates on the window sticker more than anything else, as well as maybe performance (0-60 times).

I wonder if you had an issue with the car under warranty and it was determined that too much weight had something to do with the cause, that they would not honor the warranty?

Sounds like some crazy stuff to me.

I mean a guy weighing 200 lbs is very common and a super model can weigh 120. Allow 12 lbs for the clothes on their backs that's like 332. That basically means the 2 of you could forget about bringing your own bowling balls to the alley. But then again if I had a Supermodel, I wouldn't go bowling :D

Just crazy I tell ya.


Fine don't allow me to edit my post :cuss: LOL

Thought about it some more and now I'm pretty sure this is the reason there is a weight limit on some cars...

When they use crash test dummies at testing, they use two dummies who are considered "average" weight. They do the tests, get a clean bill of health from the crash test engineer guys and the car passes the test with the weights/dummies they used, so that they know that the car is ok in a crash with those weights. Any more weight and it goes into uncharted/unknown territory.

Plus by using the average weight of people, as opposed to using 2 people who weigh 250 lbs, which isn't average anyway, they wouldn't be able to say things like "highest crash test ranking in it's class" kind off stuff. If they could get away with claiming and using people that average 100 pounds each, they would because their crash test ratings would be higher, than a company that used 175lbs per person for a similar vehicle.

They set the limits to cover their butts.

More weight would affect the impact in a collison. A 350 lb guy will get more hurt than a 200 lb guy because his body has more inertia behind it. Although the bigger guy does have more padding:p Plus the added weight affects stopping distance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I have a '99 Miata. I have found no weight limit stickers on it other than the standard GVWR sticker. However, the new Miata's apparantly have a weight limit of ~340 lbs. I weigh about 280. With me and another adult in the car, depending on the weight of that other person, I think the handling becomes a bit scarier at the limit. The car seems more tail-happy, IMO, which I attribute to the seats being relatively close to the rear of the car, and adding weight shifting the weight bias towards the rear.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
johnsilvernb said:
I have a '99 Miata. I have found no weight limit stickers on it other than the standard GVWR sticker. However, the new Miata's apparantly have a weight limit of ~340 lbs. I weigh about 280. With me and another adult in the car, depending on the weight of that other person, I think the handling becomes a bit scarier at the limit. The car seems more tail-happy, IMO, which I attribute to the seats being relatively close to the rear of the car, and adding weight shifting the weight bias towards the rear.
In the owner's manual will be a reference to total load, or you can take the GVWR and subtract the actual car weight and that will give you what is legal.. And that is mostly what it is. My son had a honda Element, a 4 passenger utilitarian vehicle that is supposed to be able to haul people and stuff. Well, he likes to read and discovered that the total cap[acity of teh element was 590#. He is 185, one friend is 225, his cousin is 250, witgh no room for gear even he was "overlimit" and decided to trade for a Civic which actually has a higher capacity.

What is the worst that will happen id you overload your Solstice? The springs will become overtaxed, along with premature shock failure, a permanent lowrider? I think that will be the extent of it, I seriously doubt you could bend the hydroformed chassis with the heaviest driver and passenger that fit in the car.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top