Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the first allocation, yet am very happy with my 350z. The z has it on the Solstice in power, luggage space and creature comforts but it's a coupe. Driving this beautiful new roadster will be a blast... Damn, I can't afford to keep both. Also, some roadsters like the Miata/MX5 look to me like "chick cars". Will the Solstice? With it's wide track and shark-like snout I don't think so.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum Z-ticket! :thumbs: Don't take this as trying to talk you out of the Solstice, but maybe you should take a look at the Z roadster. It will have the power you are used too and the top down driving experience you are looking for.

We have had a few discussions on whether the Sol looks like a chick car, or will be regarded as one. My best advice would be for you to see one in person as soon as possible. I first saw it in the flesh at the 2004 NAIAS and was blown away by the design. I liked it from the time the concept was introduced, but it looks even better in 3D. I think it looks sleek and fast, which is good enough for me!

·
5,600 Posts
z-ticket said:
Also, some roadsters like the Miata/MX5 look to me like "chick cars".
:brentil:

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Ohno! are we going around again :willy: :yawn:

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Chick Car"

The "chick car" subject is prolly not the best way to get started on this forum. But hey....that's just my opinion.

Cheryl

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I don't think we need yet another "Chick" car thread, so lets try to keep this discussion on the comparison of the 350Z and the Solstice.

If you want to discuss whether or not the Solstice is a "chick" car, check out this ongoing thread on that very topic:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2161

Thanks a bunch! :thumbs:

-John

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'll try to help keep it on track.....

My opinion of the 350Z, is that it is a nice car but certainly not perfect. IIRC the 350Z is very heavy in coupe or vert form. It does have a nice engine and likely has a large aftermarket for extra fun bits to add-on. That being said, the 350 can seem a bit rough for non-enthusiate drivers, stiff suspension, lots of road noise, audible exhaust etc. The G35 is the more refined version (but you likely knew that already).

Also, Road and Track has done a long term test of the 350Z, check out their site www.roadandtrack.com, click on the buyers guide, new cars, then choose nissan, and 350Z. They will give you a list of all articles about the 350z, but DO READ the long term test reports, at the bottom of each report you can click a link that takes you through each installment. They've used and abused the 350 for approx a year and a bit i think, so it gives you an insight to the 350Z owners' costs, common repairs/problems etc.

When/if, you can test drive a Solstice, try to test drive it back to back with the Z, same day, same weather, same twisty roads, etc, to get a better feel for which car is right for you.

Edit Oooops my mistake, I thought you hadn't bought a 350Z yet.......forget what I said.

·
Registered
78 Posts
For me the difference is: I saw the 350Z and said that's a nice car.... I saw the Solstice and said WOW!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I had been interested in the 350Z also. Mainly for it's history, and love for the previous cars. But the cost and something about the styling kept me away. It just seems to have a ghetto booty to me. :D

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The Z is a great car with a (mostly) proud heritage. Frankly I like the looks of the roadster more than the coupe. But styling of the 350 is not as inspiring as the previous generation 300 which still turns heads even after fifteen years. Be that as it may, the issue is one of personal choice. For me the 35k, more or less, price of the Z roadster is beyond my budget. Which leaves the Solstice and the Mazda. But the Miata/MX5 looks like a c---k car. Oops, it slipped! :lol:

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you already have a 350Z and like it..then keep it..

If I were in the market for a car I'd choose the Solstice over the 350Z .

Just an opinion based on looks and the fact I like to buy American cars.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I test drove the 350Z. It's a great car, it really is and I really liked it.

But there was just something about it that kept me away.

I think two of the big things were the weight and the front wheel drive. No matter how big your engine is, how fantastic the brakes are, how much HP you're putting down, and what kind of torque numbers you can claim...you cannot overcome inertia.

When you're rounding a turn at 55 mph, I'd surely rather be sitting in the car that weighs closer to 2500 pounds than 3500 pounds. I'd aslo prefer the car that oversteers, not understeers.

It really boils down to what you're looking for in your car.

Do you want a meat cleaver or do you want a scalpel?

I choose the scalpel, i.e. finesse and balance, over the bludgeoning device. I don't need a V8 snarling to make me happy. I want to have a car that practically reads my mind when I'm navigating the turns and shifting the gears.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Matt123 said:
But there was just something about it that kept me away.

I think two of the big things were the weight and the front wheel drive. .
The 350Z is RWD, not FWD. Do you mean that it feels like there is a lot of weight in the front?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a 89 300ZX 2+2 in mint condition and love the car. I was thinking of giving it up for the Solstice but I don't think I can part with it. It's a great riding car. I like the soft ride but handles great. It's not the fastest but moves nicely. I rather have the coupe over the roadster because here in Pa I would not get to put the top down much. I will wait for the Solstice to be available in a coupe "if they make one".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts